Devils Vs Giants - Sat 16 Jan 2016 - 7:00pm - Chat / Updates

Skippy

Thread starter #1

Its a big weekend with two home games in two nights.. we kick things off with a visit from the Giants on Saturday.

Webcast available at http://www.icetime.tv and it's rather good, so if you're not going have a look :E

We will be running the 'ridiculously childish and disgustingly biased' Match Night Live service for this game as always expect name calling, slurs and bad jokes about keepers not being able to stop beach balls in epic proportions, at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you'd like to chip in with a comment or make a score prediction on the night you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

Texters are always needed so if you can help us out please get in touch by PM or text the MNL line on 07527 625206.

bb1

Re: Devils Vs Giants - Sat 16 Jan 2016 - 7:00pm - Chat / Upd

Hope Salters if fit for this weekend. We certainly need a big physical presence esp with the likes of Keefe, Desbiens and the two cavemen Nickerson and Fitzgerald in town.

Looking forward to seeing Russell in a Devils Jersey.

4pts please boys!

Wagstaff

bb1 said:
Hope Salters if fit for this weekend. We certainly need a big physical presence esp with the likes of Keefe, Desbiens and the two cavemen Nickerson and Fitzgerald in town
I don't think having Salters in or out will make a jot of difference to Keefe or Nickerson,
Neither of them will fear him physically, but without him in your squad you lose his unconquerable determination (if the right/fit Leigh Salters turns up) which affects how you play more than the opposition.

Ocko

They won't fear him but will certainly not want the hassle of a scrap with him. Regardless of how much these guys do it none of them would look forward to a fight with Salters, just like he won't with them. But they certainly would be happier fighting someone not as tough.

bb1

They won't fear him but they won't take liberties.

He's a good insurance policy not to mention him protecting puck against the big defenceman

Jones72

Nickerson...what an utter tool. Pointless fight. He leaves his team short for the rest of the game...and potentially a few more games (if not the rest of the season). For what?!

Prediction...Keefe is going to lose the plot and go after someone, and end up ejected. Lloyd is doing his usual thing in setting up a situation for Keefe to fight for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

We should have killed off the giants when we went 3-1 up.They were there for the taking but we were hanging on at the end.I think walser screwed up bigtime he sat out a swedish dman to put another import into the forward ranks but to let nickerson fight which would have left giants with 4 dman for 5 mins but it came to nickerson being out for 60 is madness.Rookie coach cant see him being at the helm next year

Wannabe2

God I bloody love this team, we just get better and better, our performance tonight at times was magical, as was our amazing fans. I may sound like a old record but boy did we get our money's worth tonight or what, to watch these guys play is a pure joy, every one of them had a real stonker tonight, that 1st period tonight was surely as good as it gets. Try to rough us up, don't think so, try to outplay us, don't think so, try to out score us, think again. Thank you you wonderful people, my precious club is on its way to LA LA LAND, and we are all going on this wonderful journey with you.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

Ocko

Jones72 said:
Nickerson...what an utter tool. Pointless fight. He leaves his team short for the rest of the game...and potentially a few more games (if not the rest of the season). For what?!

Prediction...Keefe is going to lose the plot and go after someone, and end up ejected. Lloyd is doing his usual thing in setting up a situation for Keefe to fight for him.

Why is he a tool? It was as pointless for Nickerson as it was Hendrikx - and the merits of those fights have been debated by just about every hockey fan for 50 years. Both men were doing their job, takes a set of bollocks to do that and both deserve respect. It was just unfortunate he got injured.

august04

What a great game, played in an unbelievable atmosphere. That first period will take some beating, some of the play from the Devils was simply brilliant. Giants came back well though, fair play to them and it ended up being a hard fought win. Russell looked very good, Fournier too early on. They really have added a lot to this team and I think they'll be great on the big ice when we eventually move. A superb, all round display. While I can't wait to leave the tent, on nights like tonight, it's a fun place to watch hockey!

1st period: unbelievably good
2nd period: awful
3rd period: better but scrappy I thought

Russell looks a good signing and with a few more games could get a shed load of goals

Milky

Ocko said:
Jones72 said:

Why is he a tool? It was as pointless for Nickerson as it was Hendrikx - and the merits of those fights have been debated by just about every hockey fan for 50 years. Both men were doing their job, takes a set of bollocks to do that and both deserve respect. It was just unfortunate he got injured.
Agreed. You could see Hendo and Nickerson chirping away at each other before the face off so can't see how he was a tool. Bit of a nothing fight though and not nice to see a player go down like that. Heard he popped his knee.

Wasn't too impressed with some of our fans that cheered as he went off either. Think we're better than that :(

How much of a tool is Keefe??? Spent the entire game putting late cheap shots on Russell. Russell and Fournier look class. Great signings!!

Had bit of a smile as Hendo had 9 PIMs in the first 14 mins of the match. Thought he was going for the league record or something :D

ASHIPP

b.goldberg said:
We should have killed off the giants when we went 3-1 up.They were there for the taking but we were hanging on at the end.I think walser screwed up bigtime he sat out a swedish dman to put another import into the forward ranks but to let nickerson fight which would have left giants with 4 dman for 5 mins but it came to nickerson being out for 60 is madness.Rookie coach cant see him being at the helm next year
Spot on. Great to secure 2 essential points but lets not kid ourselves, there were some very nervous moments especially at 4-3. Giants' pp goal to equalise at 3-3 was well taken and Giants managed to spoil a couple of Devils' advantages.

Ryan Russell is going to be a very influential player for our team. Gleason Fournier with some terrific passing tonight and signs of a strong partnership with Carl Hudson.

Tomorrow night is going to be a massive test.

august04

ASHIPP said:
b.goldberg said:
Spot on. Great to secure 2 essential points but lets not kid ourselves, there were some very nervous moments especially at 4-3. Giants' pp goal to equalise at 3-3 was well taken and Giants managed to spoil a couple of Devils' advantages.

Ryan Russell is going to be a very influential player for our team. Gleason Fournier with some terrific passing tonight and signs of a strong partnership with Carl Hudson.

Tomorrow night is going to be a massive test.
Of course there were some nervous moments. Do you expect to roll over teams every night?! The Giants are a very good team, make no bones about it and they played hard. I expected nothing different than a stern test tonight and we got it. We got the points too. Great night.

Happy with the win but more pissed off at the fans jeering an injured player.

Whether you're new fans, old fans or just there for a random night you don't mock an injured player regardless of who he is especially after the whole Marsh incident.

Jones72

Ocko said:
Jones72 said:

From what I saw, and the comments of those around me, it was Nickerson that initiated that fight...4 seconds into the game. Chirping in the warmup is one thing, but initiating a pantomime fight? Was there even a hang-over from a previous game?

He's a tool for costing his team a body on the night for absolutely no reason.

I'm sure he's a lovely bloke off the ice, and everything. Helps the community, guides old ladies across the street, loves lambs and kittens and all that...bottom line is that he contributed jack to the team tonight and would've been better off playing the tough game he's capable of. Unfortunately for him he's got form on that front.

Have Hope#35

benh84 said:

Whether you're new fans, old fans or just there for a random night you don't mock an injured player regardless of who he is especially after the whole Marsh incident.
Sometimes crowd cheering can be for other things... You assume that it was at Nickerson when infact most people were actually cheering Hendrikx and just getting involved in an exciting atmosphere where we'd witnessed a fight within 4secs!

Sheincar

benh84 said:

You're also presuming everyone could see what was happening. Once everyone stood up I could see nothing :lol:

august04

He was mainly waved off the ice by an excited crowd, who'd just seen a 'fight' that he initiated (I definitely saw Hendrikx say yes, so I assume he was asked the question?), which you'd witness from every crowd in every other rink in the country. Completely different to the Marsh incident, which is a ridiculous comparison. Marsh was knocked out, clearly injured badly from punches landed in the fight and booed/jeered when he was lying prone on the ice and then when taken off. You couldn't call tonight's fracas a fight, nothing really landed and he was unfortunate that he impacted his knee when they both fell over. Marsh was clearly very badly hurt, that wasn't as evident with Nickerson tonight. It was a ridiculous pantomime fight, when both players would have been cold and both more prone to taking a knock. I'm assuming it was a carry over from a previous game, although I can't remember anything. I hope he's back playing soon.