Devils Vs Giants - League - 8th Oct 23 - 18:00 FO

Mooney#16

Not for me, bench Cox at your own peril, no one plays this game with more passion than Cox, and before anyone says passion don’t win games Cox is capable of turning a game and I am seeing a different game than some.
No player should be bigger than the team and all should be capable of facing the same fate. Cox is the most out of form player on the entire team. He is actually more disruptive than productive at present. He is killing the powerplay with slow puck movement and turnovers. If there is integrity in that locker room then he has to sit.

Don’t get me wrong I think Cox should be up there in the league MVP discussions. He’s a great player when on form and see’s the ice amazingly so I’m not enjoying watching it but he’s playing really badly at present and to win a championship tough decisions are required. Sitting Cox a couple games feels like a no brainer if you’re deadly serious about a proper run at the league.

fridaysfingers

Batch would have been crucified on here and SM if he hadn’t waded into printz.
He could have also been given 5 minutes too I’d say but would have very harsh. As someone said earlier, a two minute roughing penalty to printz would have been great if only to see Keefe go into full door slamming mode!!
Interesting to see barrow and Crandall swapping lines for half the game.

Hedd Wyn John

Are you seriously suggesting batch shouldn't be filling him in for that hit?! Get a grip FFS, maybe next time he'll think twice about making a hit I fully expect to get a four to six game ban due to his speed and distance from the boards.

I'd be absolutely incandescent if batch didn't try to fight in that situation
That's because you obviously don't care about winning. Professional sports is about keeping cool and using your head. The Giants player screwed up & made a bad hit. He'll probably get a ban from it, & deservedly so. Meanwhile that 2 minutes advantage lost due to the penalty could have been ALL THE difference tonight.

The league could easily come down to a single point. Fine margins. There's a time for fighting but it's not when you're trailing with 5 mins to go & a penalty coming in your favour. Any team committing a transgression in that position would happily take a few punches if it helped their upcoming penalty kill.

If we want to punish teams for foul play, in that situation- hit them where it hits. With goals in the back of the net.

Hedd Wyn John

Some of our Team game statistics do look good......but doesn't translate always into results though.Giants had less shots on goal in p1 but they scored. Surely it's the quality of shots that's important.
Exactly. We had a lot of possession & shots. But it was mainly shots from distance, wide angles or straight at Besko. Unless he is screened or there's a lucky deflection a goalie his standard will save pretty everything coming his way like that all night. We created a handful of grade A chances and either sent the puck wide or straight at Besko. Meanwhile Giants created a few grade A chances and buried most of them.

That's because you obviously don't care about winning. Professional sports is about keeping cool and using your head. The Giants player screwed up & made a bad hit. He'll probably get a ban from it, & deservedly so. Meanwhile that 2 minutes advantage lost due to the penalty could have been ALL THE difference tonight.

The league could easily come down to a single point. Fine margins. There's a time for fighting but it's not when you're trailing with 5 mins to go & a penalty coming in your favour. Any team committing a transgression in that position would happily take a few punches if it helped their upcoming penalty kill.

If we want to punish teams for foul play, in that situation- hit them where it hits. With goals in the back of the net.
3 minutes on the PP Should be more than enough and batch picked the right time to fight just after his line mate got his face smashed in of course he’s going to stick up for him that’s hockey? I’d have been so pissed off if no one stood up for pietroniro.

Not for me, bench Cox at your own peril, no one plays this game with more passion than Cox, and before anyone says passion don’t win games Cox is capable of turning a game and I am seeing a different game than some.
He been poor and won't change a game on current
No player should be bigger than the team and all should be capable of facing the same fate. Cox is the most out of form player on the entire team. He is actually more disruptive than productive at present. He is killing the powerplay with slow puck movement and turnovers. If there is integrity in that locker room then he has to sit.

Don’t get me wrong I think Cox should be up there in the league MVP discussions. He’s a great player when on form and see’s the ice amazingly so I’m not enjoying watching it but he’s playing really badly at present and to win a championship tough decisions are required. Sitting Cox a couple games feels like a no brainer if you’re deadly serious about a proper run at the league.
Well said he been poor so he be the one I sit for the new guy ,just hope chad ok because he been brilliant in forward and defense

Batch would have been crucified on here and SM if he hadn’t waded into printz.
He could have also been given 5 minutes too I’d say but would have very harsh. As someone said earlier, a two minute roughing penalty to printz would have been great if only to see Keefe go into full door slamming mode!!
Interesting to see barrow and Crandall swapping lines for half the game.
Batch should have got a minimum of 2+2, and even as you say 5. Throwing off his gloves and repeatedly punching a unwilling combatant. Bigging him up for this, but if it was against a devil it would be the worst thing ever. People also saying Printz should have been given and extra 2 for roughing....why?
Don't think the hit is anywhere near as bad as some think, the player turned at the last moment and initial contact it between the shoulder blades. But his head did snap into the plexi, but some of you expecting 4 to 6 games are deluded.
Each team has their own view on incidents, and their own view on punishment. I may think a fine or 1 or 2 games max (based of DOPs so far this season) but on the opposite side your wanting 4 to 6, which is natural because it was against YOUR player...just don't really see it happening

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

3 minutes on the PP Should be more than enough and batch picked the right time to fight just after his line mate got his face smashed in of course he’s going to stick up for him that’s hockey? I’d have been so pissed off if no one stood up for pietroniro.
3 minutes wasn't though was it?

An extra 2 minutes of tired Giants legs could have made a huge difference.

But there you go. As long we got a few punches in that's all that matters. Points obviously don't.

MA18

Batch should have got a minimum of 2+2, and even as you say 5. Throwing off his gloves and repeatedly punching a unwilling combatant. Bigging him up for this, but if it was against a devil it would be the worst thing ever. People also saying Printz should have been given and extra 2 for roughing....why?
Don't think the hit is anywhere near as bad as some think, the player turned at the last moment and initial contact it between the shoulder blades. But his head did snap into the plexi, but some of you expecting 4 to 6 games are deluded.
Each team has their own view on incidents, and their own view on punishment. I may think a fine or 1 or 2 games max (based of DOPs so far this season) but on the opposite side your wanting 4 to 6, which is natural because it was against YOUR player...just don't really see it happening
Glad I not on any kind of team with you.

Rempel16

Chad appears to have his teammates’ backs. I wonder how he would have felt if no-one had jumped in for him there. Less likely to stick up for others in the future is my guess.

Sometimes the time remaining and the score doesn’t matter. It’s about showing your teammates that you’re in the trenches with them.

That league loss by a single point could be attributed to many scenarios throughout the season… a 3min pp instead of a 5min pp is not likely to be at the top of the list.

Rempel16

Batch stopped when he realised Printz was a grade A douche that wasn’t going to back up his actions.

Kevin Noble mark 2. Completely spineless.

MA18

Batch stopped when he realised Printz was a grade A douche that wasn’t going to back up his actions.

Kevin Noble mark 2. Completely spineless.
I’ll commend Batch for dropping gloves after the hit. He’s got a split second decision to make (which I think was the right one).

I do unfortunately think that while Batch took the gloves off he still has sponges on fists and no one who really ‘wants it’ is going to be to concerned about him taking on the role this season.

Hedd Wyn John

It was a mistake more than anything. A bad hit. I dont think there was intent. I mean you're leading with 5 mins to go, utterly no point making an intentional hit like that. Not in that position. DOPs will maybe give a 1 or 2 game ban. I totally get why fans support Batch retaliating with his fists but we gained nothing from it. That 5 minute major was a gift & we squandered it.

3 minutes wasn't though was it?

An extra 2 minutes of tired Giants legs could have made a huge difference.

But there you go. As long we got a few punches in that's all that matters. Points obviously don't.
For someone who has played rugby, I am glad in the 16 years I have played so far you are not on my team! Batch did the right thing, he backed his team mate who has done the same for the team!

As a senior player in my team, a young 9 was taken out by my opposite prop, punched the 9 and the ref missed it, next scrum and after the action i took the guy never went by our 9 again! In a team sport every one of the players has to have everyone's back and credit to batch he did just that!

Last night was a good game to watch, could of gone both ways and credit to besko had a stormer! Last season we wouldn't of even been in the game

MA18

For what they are worth my views on last night.
With a netminder like Besko, Belfast win the league. Although Bowns has found form again so far this season we don’t have a good enough pairing to compete.
Besko is like a brick wall at the back, coupled with our poor creation of space and shooting angles we did well to score twice.
Bowns rebound control was poor and on the attacks where Belfast scored their second and especially third we looked panicked and like they were always going to come away with goals.
If only we had our hands on a netminder that had consistent stats like Besko….

We missed Mosey, hopefully he’s not on the gantry for to long.

If I had a £ for every time Crawford put a pointless cross check in after he’s had a mistake or spat his dummy out I could afford to buy 50 & SOHB tickets again.

Our PP is awful, no movement in front of the net to create any space.

No players look confident or comfortable on break aways, before they even hit the blue line they are looking for the perfect pass rather than backing themselves and taking the shot - Mosey OT winner in pre season style.

Few players are struggling for from Waller, Cox, Sanford and and and….

Batch HAS to get involved after the awful hit on Chad, no question. We didn’t loose the game because of that 2min penalty we had 58 other minutes to put ourselves in a more comfortable position. Batch taking that on will mean a lot more to his team mates over a season than not.

I’m sure it will all come good, PR clearly has the ideas and passion as do the players. Missing chemistry and confidence this weekend.

MA18

It was a mistake more than anything. A bad hit. I dont think there was intent. I mean you're leading with 5 mins to go, utterly no point making an intentional hit like that. Not in that position. DOPs will maybe give a 1 or 2 game ban. I totally get why fans support Batch retaliating with his fists but we gained nothing from it. That 5 minute major was a gift & we squandered it.
Replace bad with dangerous.

Over the course of the season to that team Batch doing that will mean so much more than an extra 2 mins PP when let’s be honest we have a dreadful PP.

Calling out Batch for making that split second decision, have you been sharing leadership tips with Eddie Jones?

Hedd Wyn John

For someone who has played rugby, I am glad in the 16 years I have played so far you are not on my team! Batch did the right thing, he backed his team mate who has done the same for the team!

As a senior player in my team, a young 9 was taken out by my opposite prop, punched the 9 and the ref missed it, next scrum and after the action i took the guy never went by our 9 again! In a team sport every one of the players has to have everyone's back and credit to batch he did just that!

Last night was a good game to watch, could of gone both ways and credit to besko had a stormer! Last season we wouldn't of even been in the game
Apples and oranges. You're comparing something when the ref missed it with an incident when the ref didn't miss it & you've got a penalty coming your way.

Mooney#16

Oh here we go. Just sneak enough bollocks in there to trigger the locals hey.

The hit is bad as it’s boarding and not a hit from behind. The fact Chad turned is irrelevant. Printz travelled distance at speed and hit Chad with enough gap from the boards he hit them out of control and got injured. You just expose your ignorance with the whole he turned defence as that wasn’t the offence or penalty. You can hit someone shoulder to shoulder and still get a boarding call so yes it was bad for the offence it was.

As for Batch should have got more as Printz was an unwilling combatant. You can fuck right off on that one.