Devils Vs Giants - 17th Oct F/O: 7:30PM - Chat / Updates

Chris

Administrator
Re: Devils Vs Giants - 17th Oct F/O: 7:30PM - Chat / Update

Did the players on the ice actually see what happened? It was behind the play and without a whistle and no one else gesturing that something had happened they may not have realised?

Besides that though, it seemed a big improvement over the last few games and as was pointed out on the webcast commentary the atmosphere seemed really good, the team was still getting cheered on right to the end of the game, something that probably hasn't happened for a while.

I was expecting us to lose anyway what with recent results and then being 2 players down, but the lines seemed to work a lot better tonight and we had a lot more shots on goal. Did it feel that way for those of you at the game?

Anyway, onwards and upwards hopefully! The changes seem to have had a positive impact tonight, hopefully that'll see at least one victory coming from this weekend against the Blaze.

Have Hope#35

Chris said:
Did the players on the ice actually see what happened? It was behind the play and without a whistle and no one else gesturing that something had happened they may not have realised?

Besides that though, it seemed a big improvement over the last few games and as was pointed out on the webcast commentary the atmosphere seemed really good, the team was still getting cheered on right to the end of the game, something that probably hasn't happened for a while.

I was expecting us to lose anyway what with recent results and then being 2 players down, but the lines seemed to work a lot better tonight and we had a lot more shots on goal. Did it feel that way for those of you at the game?

Anyway, onwards and upwards hopefully! The changes seem to have had a positive impact tonight, hopefully that'll see at least one victory coming from this weekend against the Blaze.
All of your observations seemed to be apparent at the game... Lines were good, all around team performance was good, atmosphere was good, especially once we got the goal! All that was missing was a couple more goals but I feel that'll come!

Koop11

Firstly of all I think it’s fair to acknowledge a much better performance from the Devils. I thought defensively we looked stronger (although still improvement needed), our SH was like it used to be and was rewarded above and beyond with a great solo goal from Lord and I thought Lacoasta has his best game for us in a Devils shirt.

MoM tonight should have been without doubt Matthews Myers. He was a bowling ball. I counted 8 big hits from him. His work rate is outstanding. Tyson was strong and was a very close contender for my MoM. Still a few ropey plays from the back which brought back memories of last year’s Tyson March but I like the Marsh we have this season.

Credit to Belfast, they are a very good hockey team. We often talk about how well that press, even on special teams, and how they out work teams. However, defensively they are excellent. Everything is kept to the out side giving Murphy all the chances he needs to make the save. We struggling to score as it is but when you come up against a Belfast defensive like that it’s even harder.

The hit - Its late, blind side, and his arm and elbow are right up in Conboy’s face. Very similar the Voth on Tait incident. Given that Keefe has come off a recent ban for a check to the head I think the league must be looking at a lengthy ban. Credit to Quinny for going after Keefe. I liked what I saw from Quinny tonight. I hope Conboy is ok. Could be out for a while.

Unfortunately I end this lengthy post on a negative because I am at my wits end at watching us bend over against Belfast. This team has a long history of injuring our players (Voth, K Smith, Kenton and no Conboy). Why is there never any retribution? Why are we never taking on their players, running their goalie, do something. There is a reason Belfast have such a good record in out rink in recent years and that is by enlarge because we have gone soft. Frustrates me no end. I wonder whether the Cardiff Cowards might be a more appropriate name for us sometimes.

TheStub

I agree that someone should have stepped up, but Hicks et al seemed intent on preventing anything kicking off. I was glad to see Batch making his presence known in the third.

There must be a massive fear on our bench of soft penalties and bands for our guys. Run Murphy, and a ref that can blow that penalty shot will toss a player for contract with Murphy.

Overall I'm really happy with how the team responded to this week. This was the squad we were promised. If the Devils played that way every game I'd be happy regardless of the result.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Temme

Definitely a lot more positives out there last night than I've seen so far this season.
Does anyone know why G sat this one out? - I'm fully aware that he's full time bench Coach now but by him sitting this out we were an import down (he can play until the new guy comes in!)

LaCosta made some great saves. More of the same please. Not sure how the stats show that we out shot them because it didn't seem like, but Murphy was good tonight. Won the the game certainly.

Re Conboy: I hate to say this, but what comes around goes around, it was only a matter of time until he was targeted due to what he's done and the reputation he's built this season already.
I think it'll be a 10 game ban for Keefe when Hanson sees the footage. It shows clear intent to make contact with the head.

All the best to Andrew and I wish you a speedy recovery.

With regards to the officiating. Myers didn't trip the guy for the second goal. Stood right next to it, it looked rather... Embellished.
And the breakaway that Maxi poked away and somehow a PS was given... Eh?!
He seemed to take the puck THEN the player if you ask me. Blights looked more of a penalty who than that.

And on another note, how hicks can let Conboy lie there, unconscious and face down for 10-15 seconds in the zone that the play is happening in, is beyond me. There was a lot of children at the game near to the incident and god knows how they felt, as it was unpleasant to watch.
Hicks continually shows why he is not fit to referee at this level and nothing is ever done.

Fingers crossed Conboy is ok.

Temme said:
Re Conboy: I hate to say this, but what comes around goes around, it was only a matter of time until he was targeted due to what he's done and the reputation he's built this season already.
I think it'll be a 10 game ban for Keefe when Hanson sees the footage. It shows clear intent to make contact with the head.

All the best to Andrew and I wish you a speedy recovery.
I don't see what you mean. Headbutt aside I don't think Conboy has done anything to warrant someone taking a run at him like that. Yeah he took a run at Keefe a few games back and gave him 2 or 3 when he was on the floor but that's not even in the same ballpark as this incident.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Temme

If you build up a reputation for being a dirty player yourself then you naturally become a target.

Either way there is no place in the game for plays like this.

Honestly would expect this kinda play from Lloyd, or other senseless players.
Always thought that Keefe had a bit more class about him and I've always enjoyed the way he plays his hockey.

Just read the KofG report about last nights game, they reckon Adam Keefe will get is a five game ban, as Conboy returned to the bench although took no further part in the match! What spin, next they be saying it was Conboy's fault!

Well a much better performance from the Devils and deserved the win IMO
The first giants goal was a cracking stick check from marsh/maxi took all the puck and was never a penalty shot.

Keefes hit was a disgrace and should be a long lay off for him. I have no problem Quiney jumping the bench as no player on the ice did anything, but don't take 4 mins of penalties and cost us the 5 min PP, get a 5 with anyone just get into a fight and let us have the 5 minute PP, who knows maybe we score a couple on it?

La costa played well and maxi had his best game this season

Our passing is too sloppy though at times,

The ref and linos should of blown the whistle right away after the hit not after a minute of play but when Murphy has a strap un done on his pads hicks is quick to blow up then,

Our shot selection was questionable to me, Murphy was catching everything so we carried on shooting glove side, he stopped everything that side, that's taking nothing away from a great game he had and deserved his MOM

Overall great performance and didn't deserve 0 points for it, onwards and upwards from here, hope conboy is back I'm after soon

jimmy snels

devilflame said:
Just read the KofG report about last nights game, they reckon Adam Keefe will get is a five game ban, as Conboy returned to the bench although took no further part in the match! What spin, next they be saying it was Conboy's fault!
Because the irish are renowned worldwide for their intelligence. ....

A englishman welshman and irishman walked into a bar ...... :lol:

Just read it myself. Leave tgem to ut. Repeat offender, injured on the play. Got to be ten

jimmy snels said:
devilflame said:
Because the irish are renowned worldwide for their intelligence. ....

A englishman welshman and irishman walked into a bar ...... :lol:

Just read it myself. Leave tgem to ut. Repeat offender, injured on the play. Got to be ten
This is the elite league, could be downgraded to a game

mazza03

oneill said:
Good game. Good win..

Giants played a controlled game and apart from the 3rd period we were the better team. Keefe will probable sit a few as it was late and from the blind side. Very Voth / Tait like.
What game were you watching? I was there and at no time did the Giants play better than the Devils, the player that kept you in the game was Murphy if it hadn't been for him the score line would have been up there, Hick was a disgrace, double standards he awarded a penalty for a player legally going for the puck but did not award one for your player running ours and your net in order to avoid a goal, the hit on Conboy was the most disgusting one I have ever seen and I have been watch since 1990, once again Hicks and his lines men let the play go on, if he is not reprimanded for that then there is no hope to have decent refs in this league, I hate going to games where he is ref:. :evil: :evil:

Welshy74

I would have more of an issue with the linesman. Yes Hicks could see but he was the other side of the ice but the linesman was right next to him and should have blown straight away!!!! But as to what's been alluded to already that there was no retribution. But we cant do that because of how short benched we are. The players looked absolutely knackered towards the end of the game

jimmy snels

I suspect conboy keefe will go at the tarmac arena next time. No way will he let that go.

osh

A much improved performance last night, not surprising after the happenings of the last week I suppose. No lack of effort for sure, but let's face it, we are still lacking in various other areas of the game. Our passing was woeful at times and we constantly dumped the puck on line changes whereas we could and should have kept possession. As for playing better than the Giants, we didn't.
They were better organised than us in most departments and we had to be grateful that LaCosta was up for it last night, his best game for us in my opinion. If we can stop dumping and chasing and keep possession more, we will improve. I liked the idea of Pope and G on the bench, Pope the more animated of the 2, so not a bad 1st time experience and the signs are good.

I don't often criticise officials but last night Hicks and his linesmen were as sad indictment of everything that is poor regarding officiating in the EIHL. Enough has been said about not blowing quick enough when Conboy lay prone on the ice, and to be honest, Hicks hadn't even signalled for a penalty, so it must have been a linesman who called the initial Intent to injure major penalty on Keefe. The penalty shot decision was disgraceful, if that was a ps, we should also have been given one earlier ( ours wasn't either ). The hit on Conboy was a very cheap shot from a player I have admired previously. I normally like Keefe's overall game, but he crossed the line last night with a very cheap shot that surely should result in a lengthy ban bearing in mind his 'previous'. Lord took his goal well, and that was the only way we were going to beat Murphy last night, getting in close and getting him to make the first move before dealing it past him. Power play still very poor and lacking any cohesion, we still happily dump the puck in their zone and hope for the best, no apparent set up plays in my eyes anyway.

Looking forward to the coming week to see who we are able to bring in on the D. I do worry about our scoring potential however, we look lightweight and need to get closer to trouble net minders more. Soft penalty led to their 2nd goal, and yes it was a penalty for a trip by Myers despite what others are saying. Lots still to work on, but pleased at the effort from everyone and we can take many positives from here on in.

Positives - Devils played better as a team, and certainly brought in some of the physicality we've been promised since the start of the season - just a pity it took a dirty blind side cheap shot from an "alleged professional" to provoke the response from the Devils.

Negatives - passing, dump and no chase. If you're going to dump, why not put a shot in on goal and just have the one player follow in for a possible rebound.

Talking point - That some in the KOTG seem to think there should be scope for Hanson to rescind the Match penalty, and downgrade it to game or possibly invoke some power to lay the blame at Conboy's door for wilful and wreckless damage to Keefe's elbow pad typifies the blinkered cycloptic view that all fans from whatever team take from time to time.

In the real world, it was late, it was cheap, it was to the head, it was pre-meditated, it was classless and deserves a very lengthy ban - Both Keefe and the Giants have form for going out to deliberately injure. No place for people and attitudes like this in our sport.

I gather Conboy's return to the bench was merely to re-assure his team and the fans that he was ok. The Team Doctor removed him to the dressing room almost immediately. I understand there was never any prospect of him being allowed to go back on the ice.

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
Positives - Devils played better as a team, and certainly brought in some of the physicality we've been promised since the start of the season - just a pity it took a dirty blind side cheap shot from an "alleged professional" to provoke the response from the Devils.

Negatives - passing, dump and no chase. If you're going to dump, why not put a shot in on goal and just have the one player follow in for a possible rebound.

Talking point - That some in the KOTG seem to think there should be scope for Hanson to rescind the Match penalty, and downgrade it to game or possibly invoke some power to lay the blame at Conboy's door for wilful and wreckless damage to Keefe's elbow pad typifies the blinkered cycloptic view that all fans from whatever team take from time to time.

In the real world, it was late, it was cheap, it was to the head, it was pre-meditated, it was classless and deserves a very lengthy ban - Both Keefe and the Giants have form for going out to deliberately injure. No place for people and attitudes like this in our sport.
I gather Conboy's return to the bench was merely to re-assure his team and the fans that he was ok. The Team Doctor removed him to the dressing room almost immediately. I understand there was never any prospect of him being allowed to go back on the ice.

Get over yourself. If Keefe gets a ban fair enough, if he dosent suck it up.

jimmy snels

Potaaaaatoooe!

DWD suggested on KOTG he thought a ban would follow so not all to be fair. Blatantly lifts elbow to make high contact. Double figure ban based on previous should follow

Block 2 Noise Boys said:

^ THIS

Finny

Remember the stick Birbraer got last season from those on KOTG after his check to the head. They wanted the hit increased due to him being a repeat offender...not that he actually was but then facts rarely matter over there.

This time it's the other way around and it's Keefe who is the repeat offender. Strange how they aren't demanding a long ban for him.