Devils Vs Giants - 14th Jan - Challenge Cup- Quarter Final

Have Hope#35

Re: Devils Vs Giants - 14th Jan - Challenge Cup- Quarter Fin

BostonBart22 said:
going back to the referees, from what i have seen this season dean smith and hogarth when reffing by themselves they seem to have good games, but when you get 2 refs together not just those 2 but others as well just dont click, seems to me one waits to see if the other calls a penalty and if its not called the other ref may call it as play has gone from one end of the ice to the other , thats why the 2 last night were talking to each other regarding penalties that were called shouldnt have been called , i.e hudson delay of game when belfast net was dislodged. SCRAP the duel refs imo :RAWK
I'm almost certain that at one point they both had their hand up for a Penalty but one signalled Slashing whilst the other signalled Tripping!

Have Hope#35 said:
BostonBart22 said:
going back to the referees, from what i have seen this season dean smith and hogarth when reffing by themselves they seem to have good games, but when you get 2 refs together not just those 2 but others as well just dont click, seems to me one waits to see if the other calls a penalty and if its not called the other ref may call it as play has gone from one end of the ice to the other , thats why the 2 last night were talking to each other regarding penalties that were called shouldnt have been called , i.e hudson delay of game when belfast net was dislodged. SCRAP the duel refs imo :RAWK
I'm almost certain that at one point they both had their hand up for a Penalty but one signalled Slashing whilst the other signalled Tripping!
But this is the beauty of sport, it is often a matter of opinion and not fact. Many times fouls are black or white but very regularly they are grey. We have all seen replays of incidents, you only have to look at the last week in the NFL and experts debate whether something seen from multiple view is a catch or not.

Having two people on the ice means two different opinions, hopefully more often than not there will be consensus and there is a benefit. But, no two referees will agree on every call and that's part of the reason we watch the game. We all watch the same 60 minutes and can have different opinions on who the best player was. These decisions are made in the blink of an eye and we all say that "It's the fastest team game in the world".

In my opinion 2 refs is the way forward and I would hope that on 99% of the calls both refs would agree with each others opinions. Apart from anything else the feeling that they were against us last night actually added to the atmosphere and created a better overall game.

Hi everyone, new member here! This is the first season I’ve had a season ticket and have been blown away by how well the Devils are playing, and the level of support they've been receiving.

Last night was fantastic. The first period wasn't so great, with some dodgy penalty calls but it was a fantastic come back performance. Looking forward to Saturday night now, let’s keep this beast in motion! :twisted:

Have Hope#35

StevenBletsoe said:
Have Hope#35 said:
BostonBart22 said:
But this is the beauty of sport, it is often a matter of opinion and not fact. Many times fouls are black or white but very regularly they are grey. We have all seen replays of incidents, you only have to look at the last week in the NFL and experts debate whether something seen from multiple view is a catch or not.

Having two people on the ice means two different opinions, hopefully more often than not there will be consensus and there is a benefit. But, no two referees will agree on every call and that's part of the reason we watch the game. We all watch the same 60 minutes and can have different opinions on who the best player was. These decisions are made in the blink of an eye and we all say that "It's the fastest team game in the world".

In my opinion 2 refs is the way forward and I would hope that on 99% of the calls both refs would agree with each others opinions. Apart from anything else the feeling that they were against us last night actually added to the atmosphere and created a better overall game.
Agree completely... Just thought it was amusing! I also said early on in this thread that the ineptitude of the ref's early on incited the crowd which added hugely to the atmosphere on the night.

BostonBart22 said:
fantastic result by the boys, everyone gave 110%. even the fans stepped it up tonight....one thing i did notice keefe didnt seem to be intrested at all tonight...dont think he will be a giant next season.
I thought Keefe had a great game from the webcast. Especially on the penalty kill where he was an absolute machine.

Koop11

Keefe is by far their most effective player and has been for a number of years. I still believe the Keefe/Lloyd line is the hardest working line in Elite League hockey.

StevenBletsoe said:
Have Hope#35 said:
IT WAS A CATCH!!!! DEZ HAD THE BALL - ROBBERY!!!! :evil: