Devils vs Football/Rugby?

the perfect day of sport for me and my girlfriend would be an ospreys game in the afternoon then travel over to the BBT for Ice hockey, aweosme :D

Re: Re: Devils vs Football/Rugby?

ledgend777 said:
probably not too many on here that went to an away game for their first time watching Devils!
I'm one of those few! Stub introduced me to ice hockey in the form of a Hull Stingrays v Cardiff Devils game about 4 years ago now. Thoroughly enjoyed being an 'away fan' for the first 3 years and actually prefer it (gotta admit, notts, shuff and even hull have better rinks) - I find an away crowd atmosphere much more exciting.

Football and rugby? Slow, and never really caught my interest. I'm with Wannabe2 - it'll never catch on!!

Can't stand football (although I do look out for City's scores and hope they do well).

Love rugby, luckily Internationals rarely clash with Devils games - if there is a club game on at the same time I will just tape it. Going to the double header to Scotland in February, two Devils games plus Scotland v Wales - heaven.

However Wales v England rugby v Devils playing - that's a tough one it would depend on who the Devils are playing in all honesty.

Kipper

As Vice-Chairman of Bedwas RFC it can be difficult juggling my duties there with my off-ice duties at the Devils,ENL2 and ENL1.

I can generally take in my Saturday afternoon rugby match before travelling to the rink and which of my club's teams I watch depends on whether I have time to get to the rink for my duties there.

It is nice to have some hockey free Saturdays so that I can undertake my responsibilities for quality control the Brains Dark Smooth in the rugby club :D

I don't attend Wales rugby internationals anymore but really enjoy the craic in the clubhouse watching them on the big screens.It sucks if hockey commitments clash with those.

osh

My first love of sport was football, from kick abouts as a kid to watching it on tv, then to actually start playing it at both amateur and professional levels. Other sports like Golf and Rugby always featured high on my favourite other sports. I had always liked watching ice hockey when shown on tv (Olympics etc) and was delighted when Cardiff got its own team. Have been going to watch the Devils for a long long time now and thought they would always take precedent over other sports, but after todays announcement I think I may have come to the end the road as a regular at the rink!

Wannabe2

So very sad that you could lose such huge passion for something, over what could turn out to be a assett to the Devils and the league. There again some things never cease to amaze me.

Kipper

What I can't understand is why anyone would stop watching hockey because of things going on off the ice.This season's product is great and I for one couldn't give a toss who owns the club.Is the team doing well? Yes.Are the games entertaining? Generally yes.What has the ownership got to do with the enjoyment of the game?

I've been taking some newcomers to the game in recent weeks and they absolutely love it.They neither know nor care about the off ice stuff,they just enjoy a great night out.I think they have it right.Worrying about the politics just ruins the enjoyment.Chill out and let the people who are paid to sort out stuff sort it out.

Kipper said:
What I can't understand is why anyone would stop watching hockey because of things going on off the ice.This season's product is great and I for one couldn't give a toss who owns the club.Is the team doing well? Yes.Are the games entertaining? Generally yes.What has the ownership got to do with the enjoyment of the game?

I've been taking some newcomers to the game in recent weeks and they absolutely love it.They neither know nor care about the off ice stuff,they just enjoy a great night out.I think they have it right.Worrying about the politics just ruins the enjoyment.Chill out and let the people who are paid to sort out stuff sort it out.
You know what I wish every fan would think like this

Thread starter #29
Kipper said:

Couldn't agree more Kipper!

I'm bringing 6 newbies on monday and hope they enjoy every minute of what we're all about!! :D

osh

Wannabe2 said:
So very sad that you could lose such huge passion for something, over what could turn out to be a assett to the Devils and the league. There again some things never cease to amaze me.
Yes, sad indeed, so to enlighten yourself,Kipper,Freddieb, Timski, and to put things into context I will explain a little further. After the original break up of the team years ago, I supported the team whenever I could. Friends who had also been going for years decided that enough was enough and haven't been back since, their decision entirely. For my part I said at the time that as long as the devils remained in single ownership I was happy to continue attending. However, I do not believe in the integrity of anyone who controls 2 teams playing in the same league, thats it in a nutshell, I am sticking by what I promised myself years ago.

Finny

I hope you don't mind me asking osh, but I'm interested as to what you did when Bob Phillips was owner of both Cardiff and Sheffield?

Regardless of that, it's sad to hear osh. Hopefully a bit of Christmas Spirit over the next couple of days might convince you to change your mind.

osh

Finny said:
I hope you don't mind me asking osh, but I'm interested as to what you did when Bob Phillips was owner of both Cardiff and Sheffield?

Regardless of that, it's sad to hear osh. Hopefully a bit of Christmas Spirit over the next couple of days might convince you to change your mind.

Don't mind you asking at all, I didn't attend during that period! I already have tickets for a couple of games coming up ( purchase in advance when I know I'm going to be in the country) so will attend a number of games into mid January, and then thats it.

osh

Wannabe2 said:
And then thats what mate.???????????

Very patronising Wannabe2 'mate'. One question and 11 question marks. Simply, I will attend the games I already have tickets for and then no more until we are once again in single ownership.

osh said:
Wannabe2 said:

Very patronising Wannabe2 'mate'. One question and 11 question marks. Simply, I will attend the games I already have tickets for and then no more until we are once again in single ownership.
I respect your opinion not to come to games anymore but it seems a shame that you are walking away from a team and a sport you love because someone is trying to improve the elite league and british ice hockey

Kipper

osh said:
Wannabe2 said:
Yes, sad indeed, so to enlighten yourself,Kipper,Freddieb, Timski, and to put things into context I will explain a little further. After the original break up of the team years ago, I supported the team whenever I could. Friends who had also been going for years decided that enough was enough and haven't been back since, their decision entirely. For my part I said at the time that as long as the devils remained in single ownership I was happy to continue attending. However, I do not believe in the integrity of anyone who controls 2 teams playing in the same league, thats it in a nutshell, I am sticking by what I promised myself years ago.
Fair enough mate we all have our reasons for doing things.

Russky

For me hockey presents better value for money! You get a game spread over a longer a period of time! How much is it to watch a Blues game? £20+ programe so you are looking at upto £25 for an hour half's action. Cardiff City is what? £25 + programe (No doubt Finny will put me right on this!)for just under two hours of action! Where as the at the Devils matches, £20 will buy you a game ticket, a programe and a sausage roll! Not only that hockey games, can last for over 2 and a half hours! So hockey wins every time!

Wannabe2

osh said:
Wannabe2 said:

Osh the last thing i wanted to sound like is patronising, the question marks didnt mean diddly squat, though to you they obviously did, and for that i apologise wholeheartidly, just still think its a little bit silly to knock a sport on the head, that you obviously have a passion for, and a club that has spent a long time in your heart. Your obvious passion, and knowledge of the game will be a loss to the club, as no club can afford to lose true fans, myself i do believe and obviously i may be wrong, but really believe if you had a conversation with Mr Ragan, you just might change your mind, as the man is a real gent, very upfront and everything our past owner wasnt, and thats the absolute truth mate. Anyway my friend you are your own man, just hope you may have a rethink in the near future, the Devils will never ever have too many real fans, take good care, and have a great new year.