Devils Vs Flames - League - 18th Feb 23 - 19:00 FO

ASHIPP

All our decent players are going to be offered either more money elsewhere or the chance to play in a better league. Little point in speculating who will stay or go in the Summer.
Think many of us would like to see a lot of new players anyway.
Let's hope whatever happens, the recruitment is good.....and the Club doesn't have another season of behind the scenes distractions and dramas.

lloyd_jeff

What we need next year.

We need to start at the top, owners to be present more. We need passion from them at the top, I’m not talking about a few weird photos & videos on Twitter, I’m talking Devils passion. We need the promises from their original meet the fans arrival meeting to last throughout their ownership, not a few yrs. Todd needs to recruit better or stop, he’s clearly not very good at it. The coach needs to be better, the players need to be better, if they’re not, they’re gone, simple as that.

What we will get.

The opposite of the above. Basically we need to be more professional, at every aspect, from getting a basic stream working right to getting the skates sharpened. Otherwise you just look like Cowboys.

When Todd left Belfast, the club didn’t fall apart, it is still the top club.

Last edited:
What we need next year.

We need to start at the top, owners to be present more. We need passion from them at the top, I’m not talking about a few weird photos & videos on Twitter, I’m talking Devils passion. We need the promises from their original meet the fans arrival meeting to last throughout their ownership, not a few yrs. Todd needs to recruit better or stop, he’s clearly not very good at it. The coach needs to be better, the players need to be better, if their not, their gone, simple as that.

What we will get.

The opposite of the above. Basically we need to be more professional, at every aspect, from getting a basic stream working right to getting the skates sharpened. Otherwise you just look like Cowboys.
Don’t understand this comment. We’ve probably got the most passionate owners in the league.

Wannabe2

One thing about last night’s disaster it’s going to save me £15 today, as I won’t be paying that to watch another dire performance.First webcast missed, but I won’t miss getting my head up my arse through frustration. Looks like it’s Tottenham v West Ham instead.

august04 2.0

I think this ownership issue is a red herring anyway. I like our owners, a lot - but Steve King has said time and time again that it’s not as if they’re pumping money into the club. The club spends what it earns. They are 4 guys having a good time, probably with limited involvement from afar in terms of the day to day running of the club - but loving being owners and super fans - and there’s nothing wrong with that at all. They have their own successful businesses to run. The real power and decision making within the club lies with Todd Kelman. He’s the key to the success or failure of the Devils. I think everyone is appreciating just how lucky the club were (Franny's recommendation in the first place so perhaps not so “lucky”) in having Andrew Lord around at the start of the new regime. I was critical at times regarding Lordo's style of play, but that guy just got everything about what it means to be a Cardiff Devil, with a work ethic bordering on the fanatical! Kelman is seeing first hand just how crucial Lord was to the success of the Devils and how hard he is to replace. Skalde and DuPont just don’t match up, not fit to lace his skates I’m afraid.

moggy#9

It's an interesting debate about what makes an ideal devils coach. I think that it's fair to say that lord hit a sweet spot between passion and attention to detail. As someone else said, expecting lightning to strike twice with rookie coaches is probably unrealistic.

I think that other types of coach could work. For instance a technocrat who approaches the game like chess could be successful - provided he had players who bought into that. He'd need a complementing style of assistant on the bench though. The question is whether such an approach would sit well with fans who expect a rock em sockem game.

Personally I'd settle for effective special teams, an ability to change the pattern of play mid game, puck retention and an end to continuous stretch passes.

BostonBart22

One thing about last night’s disaster it’s going to save me £15 today, as I won’t be paying that to watch another dire performance.First webcast missed, but I won’t miss getting my head up my arse through frustration. Looks like it’s Tottenham v West Ham instead.
good choice.

BostonBart22

we need to sign 3 x fourniers the recent one, fans fav straight away with his rink rat attitude and style of play, he owned the flames new years day and they knew it, flames came into our barn last night knowing they could play freely regardless of any reaction from any devil, yes that 1 devil played 10 games and were the best games by far this season, bums on seats type of players are very far and few these days..sad he has gone.

Diablo3

But as usual I bought the stream yesterday! I never learn

osh

Not going to complain about our owners as they must be feeling as cheesed off as the rest of us dissatisfied fans. We’ve had some very good years under their ownership, and no doubt they will already be looking at what needs to be done for next season. I think mistakes have been made from day one with both the coach appointment and choice of players who never lived up to the style of play that was expected of them. Mistakes have been made, now, learn from those mistakes ! I don’t think our owners will be caught out twice and I trust they will take on board the failure of this season to ensure better recruitment next season. We have no divine right to expect winning trophies every season, but as fans, surely we deserve to watch a better on ice product than we have seen so far this season ?

Wannabe2

Not going to complain about our owners as they must be feeling as cheesed off as the rest of us dissatisfied fans. We’ve had some very good years under their ownership, and no doubt they will already be looking at what needs to be done for next season. I think mistakes have been made from day one with both the coach appointment and choice of players who never lived up to the style of play that was expected of them. Mistakes have been made, now, learn from those mistakes ! I don’t think our owners will be caught out twice and I trust they will take on board the failure of this season to ensure better recruitment next season. We have no divine right to expect winning trophies every season, but as fans, surely we deserve to watch a better on ice product than we have seen so far this season ?
Absolutely spot on, we have no divine right to win, but we do have a right to be entertained, most people wouldn’t have a problem going home having lost 4`-1 whatever, but thinking what a great game that was, I got my moneys worth tonight. Fortunately as you say our owners are hockey people, and people who want to win and they are watching the same crap as us, and getting as pissed off as us no doubt about that.

You know it makes sense.
COYS!