Devils Vs Ducs - Continental Cup Final #1 - 13th Jan 23 - 19:00 FO

moggy#9

Ah right. Tbh like I said previously I think some people might have got a bit overconfident after how we breezed through them at home in Cardiff. Away in Angers was always going to be tough. I don't think the French league gets the respect it deserves from many UK hockey fans & if you look at the players on Angers roster they wouldn't look out of place in the top half of the EIHL.
As someone else said, it was only their goalie that stood between them and an absolute thumping in November. None of their other players stood out. The difference in this game is that they knew what to expect and of course, since the devils seldom seen to have a plan b, we gave it to them.

Yes, in parts of the game we dominated possession and had a lot of shots. I think there was a reason for that. Ducs had confidence in their defensive plan and were happy to let us pass the puck around and take shots from bad angles. They knew their goalie would handle the routine stuff.

Finny

Pathetic. Out coached and out worked. Nitra must be laughing their socks off.
Out of interest in what ways/areas were we out coached and out worked?
If we had lost 5-0 or been heavily outshot I could understand the accusation. But we drew 1-1 and lost on the final penalty shot. And we heavily outshot them despite having less power plays.

The overwhelming consensus on social media from those at the game was that we were poor first period, arguably fortunate to be only one down but had also missed some great chances ourselves.
Second and Third periods we dominated but couldn’t make our possession count and weren’t clinical enough.

So having read lots of comments that we were unlucky to lose it was a shock to read on here this morning how awful we were.

moggy#9

If we had lost 5-0 or been heavily outshot I could understand the accusation. But we drew 1-1 and lost on the final penalty shot. And we heavily outshot them despite having less power plays.

The overwhelming consensus on social media from those at the game was that we were poor first period, arguably fortunate to be only one down but had also missed some great chances ourselves.
Second and Third periods we dominated but couldn’t make our possession count and weren’t clinical enough.

So having read lots of comments that we were unlucky to lose it was a shock to read on here this morning how awful we were.
Ok. Outcoached because ducs had a game plan against us. They knew exactly how our pp works. When it was evident that our normal tactics weren't working, did we try a variation? No, we just carried on. Similarly when it was evident that ducs would force us to the outside and allow up low chance shots, did we force people into the slot and disrupt? No.

Don't get hung up on shot counts. As we know, that doesn't reflect the quality of opportunity.

Outworked? We spent a lot of time looping and looking for passes. It was evident that ducs aren't as used to physicality as us, but how often did we use that to gain position? Yes, I accept that euro refs would call us occasionally, but the ducs pp wasn't terribly effective and the upside is that it would disrupt their coverage.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

Puck possession is meaningless if you don’t do anything with it. Cowley wasn't really tested and he’s too good a goalie to be troubled by the stuff we were firing on him last night. Fournier causes havoc in front of that net but we're not using him enough. Get the shots on net on the PP, let him pick up the pieces instead of this never ending saga of trying to find Reid open for his one timer, which most teams are reading and stopping now.

Last edited:

Finny

Ok. Outcoached because ducs had a game plan against us. They knew exactly how our pp works. When it was evident that our normal tactics weren't working, did we try a variation? No, we just carried on. Similarly when it was evident that ducs would force us to the outside and allow up low chance shots, did we force people into the slot and disrupt? No.

Don't get hung up on shot counts. As we know, that doesn't reflect the quality of opportunity.

Outworked? We spent a lot of time looping and looking for passes. It was evident that ducs aren't as used to physicality as us, but how often did we use that to gain position? Yes, I accept that euro refs would call us occasionally, but the ducs pp wasn't terribly effective and the upside is that it would disrupt their coverage.
Still struggling to work out how we were outcoached based on your comments.
You seem to be suggesting that because we didn’t score on either of our two PPs we were outcoached. Yet they didn’t score on any of their three PPs. So were they outcoached too?

moggy#9

Still struggling to work out how we were outcoached based on your comments.
You seem to be suggesting that because we didn’t score on either of our two PPs we were outcoached. Yet they didn’t score on any of their three PPs. So were they outcoached too?
I'm not sure how much more clearly I can put this for you. We were outcoached because we have a predictable pp and we're unable to come up with a strategy to deal with it. That and, as I said very clearly, and our inability to deal with being pushed to outside.