Devils Vs Clan - Pre-Season - 9th Sep 23 (FO 19:00) & 10th Sep 23 (FO 16:00)

Slartibartfast

Although the 2nd period was a bit flat I really enjoyed this game. Some really slick passing for such a new team and some great goals especially the one from Ullys spinarama assist. Love the second line who look as good as the first and I love what the third line are doing with Busch screening the goalie. The stand out player for me last night was Ryan Barrow who shows shades of Joey Haddad. This time last year I was ranting about what a bad signing Penny was and how poor our D was. So far I can't fault a single player and the coaching is far superior

moggy#9

I came out of that game with no buzz whatsoever. Maybe it was because it was Glasgow's first match, but there was a complete lack of intensity throughout. Against Belfast there was an obvious dislike between the teams, and Amiens tried to be a bit chippy, but this was just meh.

That said, clan show some promising signs. They moved the puck well in spells and at times they looked like a team with potential. Their netminding looks solid and, if they can find some scoring they'll be hard to play against. I was expecting them to rough thing up, but it didn't happen.

The clan's biggest problem, as far as I can see, is that their group of Brits looks weaker than ours and the giants.

As far as the devils go:
Again, bowns didn't put a foot wrong. He was solid and well positioned. He looks dialed in and much more confident in the team around him than he did last year.

As well as his offensive output Sanford is noticeably more defensively aware. Whenever Crawford went on the rush, Sanford was the one who dropped back. He was there trying poke checks and generally playing a solid 2 way game.

Barrow and Busch looked very good together. The line with them and Waller could cause teams a lot of problems this year.

Rymsha has been impressive from the start, but the more I see if donaghey, the more impressed I am. Batch, mosey and pietroniro are all turning in solid performances.

The pp is so much better than last season. Not only is there movement, creativity and awareness, players are actually showing the ability to give and receive passes.

It'll be interesting to see how we do against the Steelers next weekend, but I'm feeling very positive about this team. I'm going to be fascinated to hear people's league predictions after next weekend.

E.D.S.

I thought Busch had a good game. Batch seemed to read the game better but we seem to cough the puck up a lot behind our own net and playing high risk passes that spill out in the middle of our defensive zone. I’m hoping that’ll come with more understanding and time together. I’m concerned defensively. Donaghey looks solid and a good find but I can’t see Mosey and Crawford working together. Assume Richardson will Replace Mosey in the pairing. Crawfords lack of desire to defend leaves us exposed but clearly he offers more down the other end of the ice. Felt for Chad last night. I think he’s a top class d man. I really like him. He’s positionally good, excellent skater and strong like bull. He doesn’t seem to have the same impact as a forward but just goes to show what a key signing he was with his versatility.
Another good showing by Bowns too.
I’ve stopped writing about Joey. There’s no point. He’s just consistently on a different level at both ends of the ice.

august04 2.0

I thought Busch had a good game. Batch seemed to read the game better but we seem to cough the puck up a lot behind our own net and playing high risk passes that spill out in the middle of our defensive zone. I’m hoping that’ll come with more understanding and time together. I’m concerned defensively. Donaghey looks solid and a good find but I can’t see Mosey and Crawford working together. Assume Richardson will Replace Mosey in the pairing. Crawfords lack of desire to defend leaves us exposed but clearly he offers more down the other end of the ice. Felt for Chad last night. I think he’s a top class d man. I really like him. He’s positionally good, excellent skater and strong like bull. He doesn’t seem to have the same impact as a forward but just goes to show what a key signing he was with his versatility.
Another good showing by Bowns too.
I’ve stopped writing about Joey. There’s no point. He’s just consistently on a different level at both ends of the ice.
Disagree about Pietroniro. He’s a good utility player to cover for injuries but nowhere near good enough to be part of our D corps. Not in this years league, which looks to be a significant step up on last year.

MA18

and messed up a perfectly good food queuing system so that now the queue goes all the way around skate hire blocking access to the chocolate machines.
Which is a pain in the arse given they have clamped down on bringing food in.
Those machines are so temperamental and slow too.

E.D.S.

Disagree about Pietroniro. He’s a good utility player to cover for injuries but nowhere near good enough to be part of our D corps. Not in this years league, which looks to be a significant step up on last year.
I see him good in the lanes, blocks so many shots, strong and able to play the puck. From what I see, he can play on D comfortably at this level. If you ask me who I would prefer to be on the ice to prevent goals, he gets in ahead of Batch, Mosey and Crawford but I completely respect your point of view.
I think we are very weak in D. It does worry me. Chad is not someone I worry about. (obviously he'll have a shocker tonight and be on the ice for all 12 of Clans goals)

E.D.S.

What was noticeable last night was Waller. He's got to step up and produce an end product. He's getting in some decent positions but needs to take his game to the next level. Skating from one end of the ice to the other is great but when the puck comes back into our zone as quickly as it left when he's skated up the ice, that isn't good. He was at fault for one of the Clans goal. Got sold a dummy and allowed the D man to come inside on his shooting hand and take the shot. It's basics but he knew that. You could tell from his reaction. It's small margins with him. He can absolutely be brilliant but, for me, he needs to progress to that next level. Still a cracking talent and a real asset - I'm really interested to see how he fairs this season.

I see him good in the lanes, blocks so many shots, strong and able to play the puck. From what I see, he can play on D comfortably at this level. If you ask me who I would prefer to be on the ice to prevent goals, he gets in ahead of Batch, Mosey and Crawford but I completely respect your point of view.
I think we are very weak in D. It does worry me. Chad is not someone I worry about. (obviously he'll have a shocker tonight and be on the ice for all 12 of Clans goals)
i think the Clan wouldn’t score 12 goals in five games against the Devils

august04 2.0

Pietroniro would have been a good option as a utility player if we hadn’t already signed a utility player in Mosey, who is a far superior player on offence or defence. Chad is a fourth line grinder and we had/have one of those already. Personally, I would have signed one of either Brandt and Pietroniro and a genuine D man, with a big physical presence. Plus of course Mosey as the utility player, to play either as and when needed.

moggy#9

I wouldn't read too much into the results this weekend. There's always a big difference between teams who have had a few weeks prep and those who haven't.

I only saw yesterday's match but clan showed some promising signs. I think their Brit group is too weak to be true contenders, but they won't be push overs in the season proper.

who else had a parking ticket when parking on the "grass before the car park?
no indication that we cannot park there, nowhere near the double yellows, bloody council