Devils Vs Capitals - Sunday Nov 23rd - Chat & Updates

DevilDom

Great performance and a fitting tribute to Jason Stone.

I actually didn't think Caps were that bad for 2 periods at least, just that we were excellent with 3 lines all causing problems and looking capable of scoring. The last time we had that was the record breaking year!

There were so many standout players it must have been difficult to pick MOM, but I thought Mychan and Bowns were unlucky to miss out, although Martin was as ever a standout too. Walton was also excellent and has really picked his game up the past 2 weeks racking up some serious points in the process. I think with Culligan back alongside him and Mychan adding a huge physical presence to that line we have another line that looks like it has settled down. Dare I say that Clarkson reminds me more and more of Vother every game and I also thought Culligan had a very good game and looked electric at times skating into the zone. Mo and Lord were everywhere as normal and Myers also had a very good game with a well taken goal.

Our D is as mean as they come in this league with Hendrix lining up opposition players time and time again with perfect hip checks and crunching them into the boards. It was quite amusing watching him smash Hartmann with one last night and then seeing Hartman skate away grimacing. He did the same to Jarolin who was anonymous after that. Batch is playing like a seasoned pro alongside him with his physicality hugely improved this year. Hotham and Hudson add fantastic offence whilst Richie and Marsh go so efficiently about their jobs you sometimes don't notice them.

All in all we are very lucky fans at the moment. 3 strong lines of D and forwards making us very strong and we must be a nightmare to play against as there is no respite for the opposition especially with the energy of Jones and Piggott when we need to rest some of the other guys.

Temme

Culligan is a great 2 way forward, he back checks like nothing i've ever seen and spends as much time in offense as he does covering the D man on the rush.

If we tracked +/- in our league he'd be right up the top of the standings for our team.

Finny

I thought Culligan had his best game so far for us last night. Ok it was only against the Capitals but as Temme said he was working hard at both ends of the night and is helping to bring out the best of Walton and Mychan.

If you had to name a 1st, 2nd and 3rd line at the moment - could you? I certainly couldn't. Every line has physicality, every line has creativity, every line has goal scoring. We don't give the opposition any time to rest or to take an easy shift. Even when we put out our '4th line' with Piggott and Jones they hassled the opposition non stop and the Caps weren't able to clear the zone until I think they iced it.

The fact we scored 10 will overlook the fact that Bowns got another solid shutout which included some very good saves. We dominated Edinburgh 5 on 5 but they looked dangerous on the PP and we did well to keep them out all night.

Maybe it was the old style shirts, maybe it was the Durham-esque scoreline - but last night the Devils reminded me of the great teams of the past and why I first fell in love with the sport.

Re: Devils Vs Capitals - Sunday Nov 23rd - Chat & Updates

jimmy snels said:
More one sided than I think I've ever seen. We absolutely destroyed them. Martin lord Morissette line were unbelievable tonight, so fast it was incredible. I can't find a negative. Unbelievable performance.

Tell you what makes me laugh. Hendrikx made around 10 big hits tonight. Now I can see them coming. You lot can see them coming. Every person in the tent can. Yet they still stroll into the zone like lambs to the slaughter. Its literally like they've never seen it before. And I love it every time :lol:

Emerson although they're MOM is awful if you ask me, and although he clearly wanted a go at Clarkson im glad he didn't as it would have been a really poor trade that one. That defence is also possibly the slowest I've watched as well.
Why do opposition players skate along the boards?! Do they not know it's Hendo Hip check time? Haha

Sheincar

mazza03 said:
I thought their nettie deserved MOM poor bugger they just left him too it, having said that they didn't drop their heads and just kept on trying.
Agreed and TBH I had the utmost respect for them that they never stopped working.

Usually a team has 1 or 2 stand out scorers that can be targeted out of the game. We now have a team where there's always someone else stepping up; fantastic times.

Devil_Abroad

How long before us expats can see the highlights from last night? lol

Seen the Coventry highlights and some amazing goals. The lines are now beginning to build understanding.

Batch's time up front in recent years is making him into a great offensive weapon now he's back as a defenseman.

That last goal wast just stunning - poor back-up minder

If they stuck on a fourth line rotating Lord and maybe Mychan there would be four lines coming at teams for 60 mins with no rest-bite. Wear them down and spank them in the third period

An acid test of how far the team have developed will be shown on Sat against the Clan. I'm glad that Fitzgerald is out as the game will now be based on hockey ability.

Can't wait to visit at Christmas time!

:Banana :lol: :pickle

With Hudson back and Culligan able to resume his fantastic offensive position it almost feels like we've signed a new player. Honestly, I couldn't label our lines as 1,2 and 3. They are all almost equal and bring something different. Awesome awesome awesome. :Banana :pickle

Ocko

What impressed me more than anything is that we were still trying desperately to score even when the 10th went in. Players still looked diappointed at missed chances (although there weren't many!) and our forecheck was still as good at the buzzer as it was at the drop of the puck. The work ethic and will to win that has been instilled in this team is unbelievable, we are capable of beating any team we play just because every player is desperate to do whatever it takes. We just didnt let up, Hendrikx was still destroying players even when the game was won, we only know how to play one way. Culligan had his best weekend by far, a proper two way centre that allows Mychan to forcheck and Walton to basically do whatever he wants. I think some expected a bigger points production from him but as a first year pro he is a work in progress who will only get better.

Even when we have lost games this year we havent been out of it, we've still turned up and given a good account of ourselves, had a plan B or played until the death. We've not been that way for years; too long to remember. To quote Andrew Lord's favourite line; 'I couldnt be happier' with this team.

Ocko

danhall76 said:
jimmy snels said:
More one sided than I think I've ever seen. We absolutely destroyed them. Martin lord Morissette line were unbelievable tonight, so fast it was incredible. I can't find a negative. Unbelievable performance.

Tell you what makes me laugh. Hendrikx made around 10 big hits tonight. Now I can see them coming. You lot can see them coming. Every person in the tent can. Yet they still stroll into the zone like lambs to the slaughter. Its literally like they've never seen it before. And I love it every time :lol:

Emerson although they're MOM is awful if you ask me, and although he clearly wanted a go at Clarkson im glad he didn't as it would have been a really poor trade that one. That defence is also possibly the slowest I've watched as well.
Why do opposition players skate along the boards?! Do they not know it's Hendo Hip check time? Haha
It's ridiculous how hard he hits, but best of all fairly too; he hardly takes penalties for his hits (that makes up for all the other calls though I guess). I've not seen someone hit as hard as him, I fear for the opposition when they try and take him on the inside.

James

Administrator
Kris mentions on the after-game interview 18 goals in a weekend must be some sort of record. Looking at the stats it certainly appears to be the most goals the Devils have scored in a weekend in the EIHL era. Previous to that excluding challenge games (Peterborough Pirates 25 goals 26th & 27th August 2000) it looks to be Fife Flyers 22 goals 26th & 27th September 1998 in the B&H cup. I'd imagine against 2 different opponents to exclude double headers against weak teams we'd be looking back to around 1995.

Legin

My first game was 5th Feb 1989, Devils beat Glasgow Eagles 29 - 0, not sure who else we played that weekend so don't know total for weekend.

Using the stats engine on home page found this -

29th Oct 1988 Sunderland Chiefs 5 Cardiff Devils League 19 (BIHL Div 1)
30th Oct 1988 Glasgow Eagles 4 Cardiff Devils League 20 (BIHL Div 1)

drainage

Legin said:
My first game was 5th Feb 1989, Devils beat Glasgow Eagles 29 - 0, not sure who else we played that weekend so don't know total for weekend.

Using the stats engine on home page found this -

29th Oct 1988 Sunderland Chiefs 5 Cardiff Devils League 19 (BIHL Div 1)
30th Oct 1988 Glasgow Eagles 4 Cardiff Devils League 20 (BIHL Div 1)
Believe we spanked Ashfield Islanders (think that's right) 32 nil in the early days

Re: Devils Vs Capitals - Sunday Nov 23rd - Chat & Updates

Ocko said:
danhall76 said:
jimmy snels said:

It's ridiculous how hard he hits, but best of all fairly too; he hardly takes penalties for his hits (that makes up for all the other calls though I guess). I've not seen someone hit as hard as him, I fear for the opposition when they try and take him on the inside.
If they go inside he drops the shoulder and if they go outside they get a hip check. I don't recall him taking too many penalties for boarding or checking to the head. The problem we have had with the big hitters previously was the borderline nature of their hits. Hendrikx's hits are a perfect demonstration on how to play a nasty but controlled game.

Devil_Abroad said:
Have Hope#35 said:
Devil_Abroad said:
When will the highlights be available?
Usually not before Tuesday as TK has to do the VoiceOver!
With 10 goals make that Wednesday then! lol

How about the Jason Stone video for those of us who couldn't make it? Will that be made available?

:roll:
Tuff, you should have made the effort to support such a legend :RAWK

ASHIPP

18 goals and a shutout this weekend will be fantastic for the confidence and momentum of our Team. Especially ahead of two very very tough weelkends - Scottish double header then Belfast twice.

Gotta give credit to the Capitals. Complete respect for the professionalism of players like Hartmann, Jarolin and goalie Hvliadofsky (sp?) whonever gave up despite that scoreline.