Devils Vs Blaze - 26th December - 6:00PM Chat / Updates

We were very poor tonight, but Hicks calling the second goal, when clearly the puck was fended off by Oesers blocker to the roof and hitting the netting on the way down, this was the turning point of the game because the devils then seemed to lose heart. The one linesman did indicate to Hicks that the puck hit the roof, but Hicks did not listen, I'ts about time the league started to look at poor performances by the refs, as the spoil the game for both players and spectaters

Jones72 said:
The only stand-out performance on our side was Ben Davies. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He deserved his first star, said it as soon as he started to run rings around Olson. He gave it his all and his boarding call on Olson was the best joke Hicks had done.

putthepuckin said:
We were very poor tonight, but Hicks calling the second goal, when clearly the puck was fended off by Oesers blocker to the roof and hitting the netting on the way down, this was the turning point of the game because the devils then seemed to lose heart. The one linesman did indicate to Hicks that the puck hit the roof, but Hicks did not listen, I'ts about time the league started to look at poor performances by the refs, as the spoil the game for both players and spectaters
Even the goal judge pointed up to the roof. Answer me this because I'm not 100%; does the goal judge have to put the red light on however it gets into the net and then it's up to the ref to give it or not. Or can the goal judge disagree and refuse to put the light on if they think its a no goal? I'm sure that's why they're called goal JUDGE?

osh

KaneDevils said:
I also walked out early ( 1 minute left on the clock) but I left not because of the ref, but because of or team!! Coventry were better than us in every department tonight, and Osaer has to be blamed for the two goals he gave up when defending shots from the left wing position. G was caught out of position so many times it was embarrassing, and he only got his game together halfway through the final period. Our pp was useless, and we gave away stupid penalties which ultimately cost us. We just can't afford to be 2 imports down and whilst i'm not knocking anyone's efforts, they were just not good enough tonight and Blaze didn't really have to play outstandingly to beat us. A poor Devils performance tonight.
Anyones except, Osaer, G, our PP and silly penalty culprits. Pretty much everyone then. :lol:
Whoever said Blaze wanted it more? Spot on.
You totally miss the point. I,m not saying the effort wasn't there, i'm saying that despite the effort, we played very poorly. There is a big difference, you chose to interpret it your way.

Mooney#16

Don't really want to comment on the game as the players will know more than anyone how below par that game was.

But a few observations. I didn't actually think Hicksey called a bad game. He was consistant with his calls and similar offences were called equally on both sides. A lot of the penalties were due to lazy plays by players which I don't have a lot of sympathy for. The goal granted was a poor one but I couldn't say hand on heart I saw where the puck went so I can accept Hicksey wouldn't have either.

Also one for the coaches and for which I'm a little confused. When chasing the game in the third why were the D lining up on the wrong sides of the ice especially on the PP. By this I mean the right hand shots were on the right and left on the left. A point shot therefore has to be taken across the body not a pass into a one timer. I have always been prepared to give G the benefit of the doubt with the PP but this I found bizarre. The point shot is a key weapon and if you can tee it up for a quick release then all the better. Just something I noticed that I couldn't quite get my head around.

Gutless! no idea! no variation in our game, Much the same as the Hull game.
Hicks did have an impact on the game at a crucial time in the game a number of very soft calls and then gifting the second. The guy is a total joke!
Coventry deserved their win.
Ben Davies was by a long way our best player.

Finny

helloimclaire said:
Even the goal judge pointed up to the roof. Answer me this because I'm not 100%; does the goal judge have to put the red light on however it gets into the net and then it's up to the ref to give it or not. Or can the goal judge disagree and refuse to put the light on if they think its a no goal? I'm sure that's why they're called goal JUDGE?
Fairly sure they are only responsible for confirming whether the puck crosses the line or not. It's not for them to call anything else.

Finny said:
helloimclaire said:
Fairly sure they are only responsible for confirming whether the puck crosses the line or not. It's not for them to call anything else.
Thought as much, just wanted to make sure. Thank you

Wagstaff

I think in the NHL they have a video goal judge who is consulted by the ref if there is a possibility of a wrong call according to the Internet, but this is a definition for a goal judge from Wikipedia official ice hockey.....

The goal judge determines whether a player has scored a goal by watching to see if the puck has crossed the goal line completely. They act only in an advisory role; the referee has the sole authority to award goals, and thus can override the opinion of the goal judge.

rolf

I thought our #5 took our only goal very well tonight, played his usual solid game at the back and has 2+2 in 3 games, which puts his scoring in the biznasty category. Have we missed a trick keeping him from jumping in on the play as I believe they say?

That all said, all our guys had they families over for xmas whilst the chavs were all probably on waivers and found little comfort at the inn, there was only one team after the points and it showed as they they all finished checks, were generally a lot nastier in the key areas and got what they deserved. It was plainly evident that playing for your job is a far bigger motivator than playing for your mum (uncle, cousin, brother etc - delete as appropriate)

We do not however deserve the pantomime dame that is mike hike hicks and it was almost a comedy for the second goal, it was worthy of the old "it's behind you......oh no it's not!" Then stuff me he goes and gives it. To cover his embarrassment his chubby little red face was smirking for the rest of the match, just like the kid that farts at breakfast and gets away with blaming the dog. I cannot say he lost us the match, but we did play a game with a 2 goal disadvantage by his random offering a 5 on 3 pp and then a goal that never was to the opposition.

i've said it for a few years now, everytime hicks takes to the ice my heart sinks and i know we will have plenty of situations to mull over after the game. his short comeings have been pointed out already tonight so no need to cover them. as someone has already said, i do believe he gets in the players heads before the game starts and as soon as he calls the 1st dodjy call there heads go, i know mine does, i'm not saying the players react the same way as a lot of us fans but it sure do feel like it does. any ways, sadly the best team won, we at the moment are consistantly playing a couple of imports down and have no spark plug ( deeds type player ) and no biznasty, nuff said on that one, if it wasn't for osaer we'd have been 5 odd down by the 10 min mark, most of the blame i'd lay at the import forwards, pretty toothless tonight, we only needed to conceed 2 to lose that one and the goal we did score came from a d man, back to the last home game, in the 60 mins before ot our only goal came from a young brit d man helping out up front, yes i know mac scored the winner but i think hull where happy with there 1 st point in 8 games at that point. and is it true i hear that if biznasty does not come back, we will not replace him ?

Well that was my first game this season and after that performance infront of a good size crowd its easy to see why the rink is never full. Poor officiating, cannot be blamed for this loss though it did add to a dead atmosphere. The Brits were grafting and Ben outstanding. Some players are here for the ride it seems. Coventry werent that good but the lack of any physical, coherent play from the Devils made it easy. The game was over after the first goal and what effort was put in was 50 mins too late.
Big crowd but it could have been a morgue at times. God how I miss the old place, it was such an electric and intimidating atmosphere, not like this rink. People walking around during the game obstructing the view (what there is of it), to busy facebooking (I know some update Owen but 1 couple I saw sitting next to each other, phones out not watching the game) makes you wonder why they bother. And to top it all, Cowley takes a puck to the face and Devils fans cheer!??! We used to be a very sporting group of fans but that just showed a lack of class.
A very disappointing evening on all levels.

jimmy snels

terrible. i know which player indulged on xmas turkey and a beer or two for sure! as previously stated i will leave our young brits out of this as they were the only ones TRYING to do something. when Ben Davies is your top fore checker and biggest hitter you've go to ask what's going on? Im disgusted with the effort shown tonight and complete lack of physical play.

hicks was terrible and i think the first goal came from a joke boarding call, second definitely hit the roof/net and the third was from a pp because of another terrible call on harding. i hope the guy realises he won't have games to ref in if he keeps ruining the fans enjoyment.

there were a few cheers when cowley got hit with the puck (about 20?) and everyone clapped him off (2000?) when they realised he was actually hurt. get a grip on your tarnishing of the fan base and your hardly qualified to comment coming down once a season #poorcommitment

KaneDevils

And to top it all, Cowley takes a puck to the face and Devils fans cheer!??!
Well, you always get a minority of idiots unfortunately. I wonder what block they were in :roll:

Probably those who made it from the Footy match :DWD

KaneDevils said:
And to top it all, Cowley takes a puck to the face and Devils fans cheer!??!
Well, you always get a minority of idiots unfortunately. I wonder what block they were in :roll:

Probably those who made it from the Footy match :DWD
Plenty of bluebirds follow the devils me included and do nothing but get behind the boys.

KaneDevils

It's just a typical "football fan" reaction. Many a time I have heard "let him die" or similar heckling at an injured player.

Not tarnishing all football fans with the same brush, I'm one myself. Whoever did mock Cowley after the incident needs to have a word with themselves. Not the kind of reaction you want to hear at a family friendly environment.

Earnie

Lets not let the Cowley thing get out of hand. Many did not realise why Cowley was down and gave a cheer like every other time a Coventry player was on the floor for whatever reason - like we do (and the opposition do)
It quickley went silent and we gave him a very big cheer when he eventually got up. I hope he was not badly hurt.

As for the game, Blaze deserved the win despite that clown Hicks.

Is it a touch too far to tweet Hicksy this? http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=27011 just so he knows what's happening.... Cov did play better than us last night and deserved the win but the calls which cost us were horse do do! I'm just really hacked off about the 2nd goal call, makes me sick seeing an "offical" (which I find a joke of a name for what I saw from hicks last night) which effected the morale big time. Osaer was tamping about that call, if hicks was within his rights fair enough but the fact he didn't consult with the goal judge makes it all the more of a farce! Never mind onward and upward! Happy new year all :grin: