Devils v Vipers - 02/01 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Hey hey,

We'll be running Match Night Live! for this game from the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

OJ will be hosting this game and can be reached before/during the game at matchnightlive@gmail.com

Devils only missing Symonds I guess, although being this is the first game of 2011 and he's due back in early 2011, maybe he'll play...

Vipers may or may not be missing players, I can't find any roster news from tonights game and I don't follow their team or forum at all...

This will be the 5th game between the two teams with the Devils currently leading the series 4-0, the most recent result being an 8-5 victory in Cardiff :D

This is the only game of the weekend for us, so i'd be hoping for a 17th victory to take the record before the dreaded trip to Dundee where this winning streak began...

With the Vipers having beat the Giants in Belfast tonight 2-3, I can't see this game being any easier, but hopefully with the team we have and our current record we can get another win!

Skippy has uploaded a game preview of the game against the Vipers, check this out of the front page!

Just incase you've forgotten where that is... http://www.the-inferno.co.uk

Chris.

TheStub

Vipers are short benched - but mainly through player movements not injury I think.

They iced 13 skaters plus backup and netminder tonight.

Tonight has shown they are hungry, and they are keen to show that they deserve a place in this league (plus give the fans something to come and cheer for). Danny will be looking to take the plaudits as the coach who stopped the run, so this wont be the walk in the park that the previous meetings have been.

Mind you, always nice to see Prpich in Cardiff ;)

TheStub

Double post. Seems the Vipers are really just living hand to mouth now, which is no mean feat. They need to have some cash to allow them to splash it to get fans in.

http://www.vipershockey.co.uk/news-1024 ... -2010.html

Interesting point - looks like we have given them some cash to tide them over. So, Cardiff, Sheffield and angel investor in Newcastle ;) I can't see why they can't make a go of it, apparently the break even is quite low there, about 700 people. A bit of cash to get people through the door, and maybe replace a missing player or two - a young Brit out to make a name perhaps? If they can pull 800+ they should be able to pull themselves out. If they can't push the money into getting people in, they are going to hit terminal decline.

This is where the league should step in, and help with advertising, back office etc.

Rempel16

TheStub said:
Vipers are short benched - but mainly through player movements not injury I think.

They iced 13 skaters plus backup and netminder tonight.

Tonight has shown they are hungry, and they are keen to show that they deserve a place in this league (plus give the fans something to come and cheer for). Danny will be looking to take the plaudits as the coach who stopped the run, so this wont be the walk in the park that the previous meetings have been.

Mind you, always nice to see Prpich in Cardiff ;)
Tonights result was always going to be a Vipers win/tie. They are in trouble and needed the win to qualify for the cup semi final. Something told me that other teams around the league would also wish them to qualify.

7/2 for those odds last night, or 9/1 for the straight up win.

Just glad I went with my instincts :D

ASHIPP

After a fantastic run over Christmas against tough teams to beat, Vipers must not be taken for granted. :? Their ' bottom of the league' position doesn't reflect the ability of some of their players - they are simply short-benched. They will be determined to get a result at the BBT - afterall, they won in Belfast so the Devils hopefully will play their usual relentless 60 minute focused game. :D

SOHB draw for Mike's Vipers' shirt is a great idea - let's really make it worthwhile. :cool:

TheStub

ASHIPP said:
SOHB draw for Mike's Vipers' shirt is a great idea - let's really make it worthwhile. :cool:
Would raise a few quid, but I doubt it will help out with their current woes :(

Looks like Cardiff are paying the Vipers travelling costs for the weekend.

TheStub

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/devil ... or-vipers/

Actually get the link in.

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/devils-show-support-for-vipers/ said:
This week your money will go to the Newcastle Vipers, and the jersey up for grabs is that of former Cardiff Devils player Mike Prpich, now icing for the Vipers.

The lucky winner will be presented with their unique prize by Mike at the end of the game.

The Devils are working in other ways with the Vipers and we urge all fans attending this Sunday to buy a ticket or two and maybe win a great prize!
I like the "Devils are working in other ways" comment. So, aside from SOHB and paying for the travel - is Paul Regan going to come forward owning 3 teams :lol:

Seriously though, reading through the Vipers forum it seems that they are quite desperate to have someone new (less Bob like) at the reigns. Perhaps the league could buy them. Take a levy from the other teams and nurse them back to health? They have dropped to 700 supporters from 2000+, and that can't just be blamed on the move to Whitley Bay surely.

ASHIPP

TheStub said:
Seriously though, reading through the Vipers forum it seems that they are quite desperate to have someone new (less Bob like) at the reigns. Perhaps the league could buy them. Take a levy from the other teams and nurse them back to health? They have dropped to 700 supporters from 2000+, and that can't just be blamed on the move to Whitley Bay surely.
The other fear is that our fantastic Celtic cousins the Edinburgh Capitals could be in a similar financial mire. After players rumoured/actually leaving and ever decreasing attendance, the latest rumour is that the Club could be up for sale. This is so sad - an established club with great fans. Here's hoping that they can also be helped quickly. :?

p.s. sorry to digress from Vipers thread.

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:
TheStub said:
The other fear is that our fantastic Celtic cousins the Edinburgh Capitals could be in a similar financial mire. After players rumoured/actually leaving and ever decreasing attendance, the latest rumour is that the Club could be up for sale. This is so sad - an established club with great fans. Here's hoping that they can also be helped quickly. :?

p.s. sorry to digress from Vipers thread.

In the last week or so the Capitals have lost Alex Kim, Chris St Jaques and David Lomas.

I honestly cant see how they can continue.

Finny

There are rumours though that people have offered six figure sums to buy the Edinburgh Capitals, but Scott Neil keeps turning them down.
Very strange situation up there at the moment.

The Vipers really do need to get back into the MRA asap and make a real go of it. It would need a lot of investment (e.g. from Neil Black or Paul Regan etc) but if done correctly there's no reason why they couldn't get the types of crowds that the Panthers, Steelers and Giants get in.

Finny

According to the online ticket facility, it looks like we could have another decent crowd in tonight. Only block 1 and 15 have any decent availabilty unless you want to sit on your own.

By my last count there were only 55 tickets left. What a great achievement against bottom of the league. It just goes to show that a winning team is the most powerful marketing tool.

Here's to keeping it up!

Sounds like the Devils are demolishing Vipers already... which actually seems more like a boring game :-(