Devils v Stingrays - Sat 7:00pm - Chat/Updates

A

Anonymous

2 points, simple as that. No excuses. We are capable of beating anyone especially at the tent, so lets put the stingrays to the sword !!

mazza03

The game was played tonight without a ref: just the two lino's, didn't hear why there wasn't a ref: but the game flowed much better, I left after the 2nd period because I was shivering with the cold (I've not been well, awwwwwwwww) wish they would put heaters under the seats. :lol: :lol:

I also missed why there wasn't a ref? Strangely, I thought it was the best ref'd (or lino'd!) game I've seen in a while

Good result :)

SPOTTED: Stingrays in McDonalds, minutes after game.

SPOTTED: Stingrays in McDonalds, minutes after game......

Tut tut boys, no wonder you can't win any matches with a diet like that! :lol:

Ger-Devils

The linesmen did a much better job of reffing the game I thought.

Comfortable win overall. Some nice passes but a good effort by Sandahl to keep the score down. Nice shutout for Lyle too.

Onwards and upwards to tomorrows game!

Why don't the league get rid of all of the refs and just let the linos ref the games. Much better game without the ref trying to take over the game.

Good win for the devils, glad we scored a few after the first period. Is that 6 assists in 2 games for Finnerty now?

Re: SPOTTED: Stingrays in McDonalds, minutes after game.

DiafolsDiafols said:
SPOTTED: Stingrays in McDonalds, minutes after game......

Tut tut boys, no wonder you can't win any matches with a diet like that! :lol:
As long as it wasn't before the game, then I'd be worried :lol: I've seen a few Belfast Giants players in chip shops around chip alley before too, after the game though of course.

Thought the two linesmen were much better than having a ref, the best reffed game this year in my opinion. I can't remember the last time I went to a game without shouting at the ref at least once.

The best call was the too many men call by the one linesman. How long had they been on the ice with 6 out skaters? When the linesman blew his whistle every player on the ice looked at him as if to say what are you doing? Including the fans, then he pointed to 6 Stingrays players, none of who moved as they all looked at each other in shock that they'd actually been playing like that. :lol: Fair play linesman, because I don't think anyone else had noticed and they must have been playing with 6 for most of the shift.

We looked to be rearranging the lines a bit tonight, testing out new things perhaps. I thought Finnerty could have had a lot more assists tonight too if our scorers had been more clinical in front of net, he provided them with lots of great passes.

Also I'm not sure I've been to a game yet, where I haven't thought Tylor Michel was a contender for man of the match. What a find he's been, hope he keeps it up.

6 points in two games for Finnerty. He is on fire and out to impress. Lets hope he gets his first away goal against the Steelers tomorrow.

The line of Max, Michel and Finnerty in my opinion was amazing tonight as they click so well, work the puck hard and score goals as you can see from tonight.

MOM of match for me could have been Max, Michel, Lyle.

Great game really enjoyed it didnt notice the cold

Don think they actually mentioned why the ref was missing but it seemed to work tonight

Russky

Devils won the game comfortably in third gear! Hull were poor, having had a good first period where they rode their luck a little. They had little firepower to really trouble Lyle, who deserved what I think was his first shut out this season.

I think we might do the squeelers tomorrow in their house of foil as they have already had two games this weekend, although they have had two wins! Methinks they may run out of steam before the third period starts, lets hope so eh!!! It should make for an interesting game with Finnerty returning there in our colours! I wonder what sort of reception he will get!

Russky said:
It should make for an interesting game with Finnerty returning there in our colours! I wonder what sort of reception he will get!
He'll get a fantastic reception. In fact it'll probably be even better than any recent returnees. The only returning player I can remember not getting a great reception was Scott Allison when he returned in Panthers colours for £10 a week extra. I'm not still bitter! :lol:

Hull were very poor. Apart from their early powerplay, and in the final minute or 2, they never looked like scoring.

After playing sooo many home games in a row, I think we may struggle on the big ice up in Sheffield tonight. Then again, this will be their third night in a row so maybe we'll catch them a bit tired.

Finny

Solid and comfortable win for the Devils over a short-benched Hull, though the game wasn't great and could only be described as going from dull to average.

Hull only had 11 skaters but did make a game of the first period at least. Knight seemed to be up for that first period and hit/whacked/punched everything near him whether they deserved it or not.
Though the period ended goalless the Devils had hit the posts twice and had the puck cleared out of the crease two or three times with Sandahl making some great saves.

Second period though the Devils ran away with it. A defensive mix-up in the neutral zone saw Finnerty pick up the loose puck, skate in down the left wing before timing his pass to the free Mark Smith and he fired in.
Devils 1-0 Stingrays.

Midway through the game the Devils got the all important second goal. Finnerty threaded a beautiful pass through several players from the blueline for Birbraer to tip towards goal. Sandahl did well to make the save but the rebound fell to Voth and he slid it under the netminder and into the goal.
Devils 2-0 Stingrays.

Cardiff's third goal finally killed of the Stingrays, Latulippe showing lovely skill to dance his way through two defencemen. As Sandahl came out to cut down the angle he passed it sideways to the on rushing Hill who fired into the unguarded net.
Devils 3-0 Stingrays

A reasonably impressive middle period was completed with a fourth goal for the home side. Birbraer looked like he had lost the puck as he went behind the net, but fought it back, and with a burst of speed he got away from his defenceman, and passed it back infront of the net to Michel who timed it in.
Devils 4-0 Stingrays

Third period was a bit of non-event really as the Devils coated to victory. Cardiff started the period on the PP after a too-many men call against Hull. Jarvis shot the puck from the blueline and when the rebound fell to Voth, he knocked it sideways to Birbraer who flipped it into the net.
Devils 5-0 Stingrays

The scoring was completed with a typical piece of Birbraer magic. He stole the puck off a Hull defenceman in their zone as he moved on goal seemed to be tripped. Despite flying through the air he still somehow got his shot away and it somehow got past Sandahl.

Good to see Lyle get his first shutout of the season, he was solid all game but I doubt he will get many easier shut outs. Devils looked strong defensively all season as they rolled with 3 lines all game, Symonds getting a regular shift alongside Adams and he got better and better as the game went on.

Finnerty would probably have been my MOTM. I never noticed it when he was with Sheffield but he must be one of the best passers of the puck in the league. He is really clicking with Michel already and they look like they could be a deadly partnership in a couple of weeks.
I'm not sure if Birbraer is the right linemate for them though. Smith doesn't look his usual self without Max alongside whilst Towe seems to be struggling to get used to his new linemates of Smithy and Miller.

Having said that, we look far better defensively with the new lines. If there was ever a negative about that line of Birbraer-Smith-Voth is that they did seem to concede a lot of goals. They also struggled to score goals away from home so I guess the real test of the new lines will be in Sheffield tonight.

Final mention must go to the two officials though, Andy Dalton and Lee Young. With Darnell unable to attend due to injury the two linesmen took over the refereeing duties between then and were excellent. Despite having to dash all around the ice all game I don't think they make a wrong call all night. Consistent throughout and didn't miss anything off the puck. Great job guys.

Wannabe2

He,y Finny you missed one of the greatest sights you could ever see in this great sport, a mid ice hit, right on the button. Maxi laying one of his train hiting checks, what a TRUELLY BEAUTIFUL SIGHT, and worth the entry fee alone, pure poetry in motion. ;)

The most amusing thing last night was the linesman/ref calling a pen on Hull and Knight skating straight to the penalty box and sitting down only to be told by the official " what are you doing in the box " !!! a guilty conscience me thinks ! :lol:

ASHIPP

Comfortable win for Devils against a short-benched, demotivated and gradually exhuasted Stingrays.......who actually held the Devils to 0-0 in the first period. Thought the guys were a touch slow in first 10 minutes. Can see that G is experimenting with different line combinations - I couldn't work out who was supposed to be partnered with who! :?
Absolutely fantastic shut out for Stevie and deserved MOM because Hull still managed to get a fair few SOG, although not as many as the Devils.
Maxi's goal was subtlety in motion....but what about the Vother? 5 seconds into one of his shifts on the ice and scores! AWESOME! :cool:
Still feel sorry for Matt Miller at the moment - he throws the kitchen sink at his games with effort, skill and plenty of SOG....but just isn't scoring right now. :?