Devils v Stingrays - 22/12 - 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

Another hard fought win, cant believe we had 26 shots on them in the first and they only had two on us.

Well done guys and have a Happy Christmas, see you on 27th weather permitting

Ger-Devils

Apologies for my phone dying during the 3rd period. Been in work since 9am and using my phone throughout the day and then the updates for the game but it died so hopefully OJ got the email off my friend to say my battery went.

Not the most prolific game tonight but it's good to see we kept going. Perserverance paid off, times in the past where we have lost out control and taken silly pens and it's cost us, tonight we just kept playing and all we needed was a scrappy goal to get us going.

Boucher stood on his head tonight and a totally different keeper to what we faced in that 12-0 game a few weeks back!

Weller's goal that was wiped off - laser beam to the net! At times in the 3rd, you could see it was going to boil over and thought to myself. please Darnell, don't let it tick over into a frenzy especially with the games we have coming up.

Merry christmas everyone and either see you boxing day or Monday down the rink.

Koop11

I thought that was a very entertaining game last night. Hull game with a game plan to play if physical following their no show last time they were down here and for a while it paid off. However, I do feel that we never looked out of control. Even when Lyle let in a Cugnet from their own blue line (in fairness a freak bounce).

We dominated them for most of the game and some of the passing on our PP was outstanding. Our penalty kill was awesome, although I don’t think Hull got their PP together last night.

The third period was getting very chippy. I knew Weller and Sadlock were going to do something after a few choice of words. Weller hit on Sadlock, after Sadlock comes skating across the blue line to deck him, was superb. You can tell Weller was annoyed though as he nailed about 3 other players in the same shift. Pelle did well with his two goals but for me, Weller was, as ever, another level to any other player on the ice. He’s so effortless on the puck and in the corners. The longer we can keep hold of this guy, the better our chances of challenging this league title.

Speaking of the league title, we’re now 2nd with 4 games in hand against Belfast. Win those, and we’ll be top. We have a huge run of games coming up. We must take advantage of Coventry’s short bench in the festive double header and then a 4 pointer over in Belfast the following Tuesday. If we can come away with 6 points from those games then we’re really going to be the team to beat in this league. I said at the start of the month that December will define our season (although CC never went ahead). So far so good but we must not let it slip now.

Merry Christmas lads. Great 2010. More in 2011 please.

Well done Devils. 13 in a row! Was getting worried around the 30 minute mark as Hull's goalie didn't look like letting anything past him, but as soon as we got the goal, it all changed. Bring on the Blaze.

jimmy snels

not the most entertaining game, but i thought hull looked just that little bit more determined after the 12-0 last time. for me i thought a Dman should have been MOM, probs G or weller IMO. wellers hit in the 3rd was funny as :lol: is it just me or does hulls record NHL appearance man bannister look a bit...well..... crap :!: :?: tylor had him so annoyed :lol:

thought darnel ref'd it well to be fair. i watched a sky sports interview the other week where he admitted he got a few things wrong in the chavs/panties run-the-netminder-fest, where he went up in my estimations, theres no harm in admitting you were wrong :)

Finny

Well I went to last night's game through the ice and snow expecting it to me a bit of a dull midweek affair, but by the end of the night I had thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Devils started like a team who had not played a game for a fortnight. The sharpness wasn't there, little physicality and a drop in fitness too. And I don't think it helped either side that the ice was absolutely shocking so that it looked like they were trying to skate through glue at times.

Hull definately started the better side, were more physical and didn't look like they had just got off a horrible bus journey. The Devils got the first powerplay of the night and despite winning the face-off then lost the puck. Kalmikov got hold of it and then flicked it over the Devils players with pace towards Lyle.

As it started coming down, I could see it was spinning greatly and if it bounced could cause Lyle a big problem. Lyle came out and got his body behind it, but like a Shane Warne ripper, it bounced nearly vertical and at a different angle to pop over Lyle's shoulder and into the net. Fluke goal.
Devils 0-1 Stingrays

Slowly the Devils got back into the game, and although they weren't at their best they were still starting to get on top of the Stingrays. 26 shots on goal in that period alone only for Boucher to pull off some outstanding saves. The pick of the bunch being one where he was sliding the opposite direction and so made a diving save with his head!

Second period and it started getting scrappy. Hull had a great spell where they had a couple of great chances with the Devils D snoozing a bit. A quick pass out infront found Silverthorn with the goal gaping and it looked like he had added a second only for Lyle to make a fantastic pad save and leaving Silverthorn bemused.

That seemed to get the Devils to increase it a gear and soon the Stingrays were having to take penalty after penalty to stop the Devils from scoring. To be honest the Devils PP had been pretty poor all night, and then from nothing two quick goals.
A melee infront of the stingrays net saw the puck drop out to Adams whose speculative wrist shot somehow found its way through everyone and into the net.
Devils 1-1 Stingrays

That goal boosted the Devils and two minutes later on another powerplay the took the lead. The puck was passed/bobbled around to Pelle at the far post and he somehow got it in from the tight angle for another scrappy goal.

Third period, and for me a highly entertaining period. Both teams had started to get physical and were pinging the pipework but the Devils were showing that extra bit of class. Hull were given a powerplay of their own and it ended up proving decisive. Phil Hill managed to stop a Stingrays attack on his own blueline and just about get enough on it to set Matzka off on a breakaway, and after a couple of fakes finished brilliantly to slide it under Boucher.
Devils 3-1 Stingrays

Then it was the Devils turn to have a powerplay. MacRae's slapshot was saved but dropped by Boucher, but none of the Stingrys defence noticed. Pelle did, and pushed it throuh his five-hole and then managed to get around Boucher to force it over the line just before the Hull players came in and tried to take his head off.
Devils 4-1 Stingrays

If I'm honest I expected the Hull players to give up and just coast through the last 12 minutes of the game. But full credit to them they didn't, and not only did they continue to look to get back into the game but the also started getting fiesty and nasty.
After Sladok had given one of the Devils players a whack in the face, Weller steamed in and did the same. The first time I've seen Weller look angry since he has been here, and when Sladok turned around to see who had done that to him, you could see his face dropped when he realised who it was. All the players joined in and Silverthorn was the unlucky guy to grab hold of Weller and you could see him wince as he realised "if this does kick off I'm gonna get destroyed".

It didn't but several personal battles continued. Sladok tried to get revenge on Weller by charging at him for a big open ice hit after Weller had released the puck. Only for Weller to stand his ground and Sladok bounce off him, into the air before crashing onto the ice and sliding into the boards. This got Weller angry and he handed out 3 more massive checks (mainly on Coburn ?) before the whistle blew and Sladok and Finnerty fought. Fair play to Finnerty for fighting a guy who must be a good foot taller than him, both players getting a couple of punches in though it was really a hugfest.

The rest of the game continued in a niggly fashion, and bizarrely the Stingrays kept arguing the penalties they got even though they were pretty obvious. Bannister in particular kept banging his stick in anger in the bin despite the fact he had hooked Finnerty just below the neck.

Devils saw out the win without much real threat from Hull. Weller once again was outstanding and showed he is a class above everyone else in the league. At one point he had two brits harrasing him and one (Davies?) grabbed his arm, so he just controlled the puck with the other and skated out between them before passing on the puck.
I also though Mark Smith had one of his best games for us and perhaps people don't realise how hard he works. Boucher was an easy MOTM for Hull as it could have been another cricket score without him.

Not that I wasn't impressed with Hull. They played with spirit and fire and were clearly desperate to get revenge for that 12-0 defeat a month ago. Though at times I felt that loss played on that minds and after the Devils scored they never really believed they could win until they went 4-1 down. I reckon if that was against any other team they would have had the self-belief to go on and win that. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Rays finish 6th in the league this season.

Enjoyed last night. A game of two halves as they say, with Boucher being outstanding in the first half. Hull really made us work for it but it never really felt like it wasn't going to end with the points in the bag for Cardiff. We had plenty of chances and it seemed like a matter of time before we got a couple in the basket. Lyle will probably want that goal back but sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles an odd bounce can fool the sharpest keeper.

Bought some of the boys from work down on the season ticket offer too and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I think they are starting to see why I'm 'always going on about hockey'! :lol:

voth26

I'm not a happy bunny at all, i had tickets for last nights game but after trying for 1 an 3/4hrs to get to the game due to the weather/road conditions i gave up, i contacted the rink only to be told speak to the devils office today, I have just spoken to the devils office only to be told that there is no way i can transfer my unused tickets which i paid full price for and are still behind the desk in the ice rink to another game i dont even want a refund!!!!!! :x :x :x :x as hell, i know the tickets are non refundable but due to the current climate i thought the devils would have some sympathy towards fans who book tickets and try to get to the games even in difficult weather conditions. oh well that will teach me to support my team again wont it i certainly wont be booking tickets in advance and busting a gut to watch the guys when the weather is really bad again :x :x

Finny

Sorry to hear that voth26 - where were you travelling from?

My street was a nightmare but once a got out of it all the roads to the rink were fine.

drainage

Finny said:
Devils saw out the win without much real threat from Hull. Weller once again was outstanding and showed he is a class above everyone else in the league. At one point he had two brits harrasing him and one (Davies?) grabbed his arm, so he just controlled the puck with the other and skated out between them before passing on the puck.
For me that was a classy move - he made it look soooooo easy!! Like taking candy from a baby :D

Ger-Devils

voth26 said:
I'm not a happy bunny at all, i had tickets for last nights game but after trying for 1 an 3/4hrs to get to the game due to the weather/road conditions i gave up, i contacted the rink only to be told speak to the devils office today, I have just spoken to the devils office only to be told that there is no way i can transfer my unused tickets which i paid full price for and are still behind the desk in the ice rink to another game i dont even want a refund!!!!!! :x :x :x :x as hell, i know the tickets are non refundable but due to the current climate i thought the devils would have some sympathy towards fans who book tickets and try to get to the games even in difficult weather conditions. oh well that will teach me to support my team again wont it i certainly wont be booking tickets in advance and busting a gut to watch the guys when the weather is really bad again :x :x
Where in Aberdare do you live? I'm just behind tesco and my street isn't the best but my car is parked in Lidl's car park so I can get about and to work etc.

rolf

well i was wrong about this game not happening and i am delighted too. i have thrown out the seaweed weather predictor and am looking forward to my trip to chavland on boxing day and its return the following night.

i agree with all the posts on here, but i must admit that i was disappointed that finnerty took the fight with sladok. weller was on the ice and for my money he shouldda dropped em instead. if he had i feel mr sladok would have a mighty headache for his troubles today......................

apart from that, the devils started slowly for me and i'm not sure if this sheffield thing had them distracted for a bit. came as a shock to us supporters, so it may have done the same to them too. anyways enough of that, we won. we're second in the league for the first time in ages (ok the other week excluded) we have games in hand, have set a record run of wins and my turkey looks like it should have its own postcode so all good then.

proper chrimboh to one and all and come and have a drink with me - birchgrove xmas eve from about 4.30 if anyone's thirsty??

voth26

hi ger-devil live right at the top of cwmaman and have few hills to try and get up and down, havent seen sight or sound of a gritter/plough and havent seen a bus since noah was a boy