Devils v Steelers - 09/10 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

Re: Devils v Steelers - 09/10 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updat

Why does Lyle come all the way out on penalty shootout he seems the only netminder around to do it! All they need to do is deke then there is a open net!! They did it twice but one missed it!

I think the first devils hit came in the 50th minute.

For me the last 5 minutes were the most exciting there was a little urgency which led to the 2nd goal.

Pierce for me was the best player. For large periods though a lot of the players looked flat and dejected with no spirit.

A bit of a disappointment for a game I had been looking forward to.
:(

DevilDom

Very poor game for a Devils v Steelers match. The quality of play was poor from both sides and the atmosphere was very flat for the majority of the game. Steelers played a decent road game but Devils looked completely lacklustre and almost like they thought they could coast to a win.

Where do I start? The 1st line isn't scoring the points i'd expect and the balance doesn't like right to me. Pierce is a very skillful player but is also a bit of a maverick. IMO he tries to do too much on his own sometimes. In a lot of ways he is very similar to max and that to me is throwing the balance of that line all off. I'm not pointing fingers because I think the whole team were poor tonight but I expect a lot more from the 1st line in particular. I know we had a long coach journey yesterday and the guys would be a bit fatigued but the steelers were 2 imports down and 1 of their best brits. We should have taken the game to them and run them ragged. Our pp was terrible and I was surprised when we scored on the pp, even on a 5-3.

I have faith in G and I'm sure he will sort things out. Lots of work to do but the priorities for me have to be the pp and getting the balance on the 1st line right, oh and some penalty practice also would be helpful (4 pens and only 1 on target!).

Really shocked at have far the steelers have sipped lots of diving dirty plays time wasting and moaning to ref about ever call, and the ref was having a rubbish game disallowed 3 goals that were fine, maybe the devils need to be a bit more in there face and don't look like they gelled 100%

I make it eight penalty shots this season (tonight and Belfast) and we haven't scored any! I wonder whether we have the right players taking the shots, personally I can't remember Max ever scoring one.
Definitely an area that needs work.

Agree with the rest of what has been said, we were very flat until the end of the game. I'll take a point and have a feeling that against the 'top 3' that will be the best we will do for the majority of games.

3 disallowed goals? The one by the bar when the light went on, the puck was nowhere near the goal line, it went across the crease and round the post.
Didn't notice a player in the crease for the goal the players celebrated and can't remember another.

Wannabe2

Ingramator said:
Why does Lyle come all the way out on penalty shootout he seems the only netminder around to do it! All they need to do is deke then there is a open net!! They did it twice but one missed it!
It wouldnt have mattered if Lyle came out as far as the swimming pool tonight, we couldnt score anyway. Tonights game was very poor, and we were lucky to come away with 1 point against another poor team. I dont have a problem losing like so many other fans, but come on guys tonight was not good. There is very little point in having a tough team if we dont play tough, no problem going down guys but lets go down fighting at least, thats what we at Cardiff are used to watching. We dont have a god given right to anything, we have to graft like the punters do for there pay cheque. We are not the only club struggling at the moment, the blaze are ready to commit harri carri at the moment and have bigger problems than us, but we need a rocket up our rear to play to the potential i really think we have, so come on guys use your size, and show us lot tonight was a blip and that we move on.

Wannabe2 said:
We dont have a god given right to anything, we have to graft like the punters do for there pay cheque. We are not the only club struggling at the moment, the blaze are ready to commit harri carri at the moment and have bigger problems than us
They have, but they are four points ahead of us in the league and have already gassed one player. If things are that bad in Coventry, surely they are worse down here?

Ingramator said:
He's closing down the angle the penalty taker has to shoot at. Lyle is one of the better nm's in the league at stopping penalty shots imho.

Also - is it just me or does something still not seem to be clicking with this team?

One thing I have noticed is that Dobben, when he was on the first line, seemed to have a connection with Pierce - I'm not seeing that first line working at present, but then it is still early in the season...

Wannabe2

bluedevil said:
Wannabe2 said:
We dont have a god given right to anything, we have to graft like the punters do for there pay cheque. We are not the only club struggling at the moment, the blaze are ready to commit harri carri at the moment and have bigger problems than us
They have, but they are four points ahead of us in the league and have already gassed one player. If things are that bad in Coventry, surely they are worse down here?
Firstly its 3 not 4, and they have played weaker teams than us so far, hull twice, fife twice and dundee, no disrespect to them but thats the reason.

It's four according to the EIHL site and ih-update (which is probably more reliable!).

Fair enough on the difference in opposition, but we have played Fife so the difference is three weaker teams. That would only put us two points ahead (if we won them!), as I said if things are that bad in Coventry surely we shouldn't be happy with that!

rolf

i wanted us to out-muscle sheffield tonight and what happens? 1st period Voth draw 2 mins for boarding for an ok check. that sends a message to the team to watch themselves and negates our physical threat. how many times has the team been slated for taking dumb penalties and not playing to the ref? seems we are darned if we do and darnelled if we don't (see what i did there?) and tonght precious tom was intent on an exhibition match. shame. it is poor refs like him that are strangling this sport. if he had reffed the enl game vs invicta last night it probably would have either been abandoned due to fighting or due to not enough players to finish the game.

that all said, we had a massive bench and used about half of them against a very short-benched opposition. why franny didn't unleash burrows, piggot,davies and harding to take the legs off the steelers i do not know. in fact piggot took his first shift when we were 0-1 down which quickly became 0-2 and i never saw burrows or harding all night......................................

Wannabe2 said:
Firstly its 3 not 4, and they have played weaker teams than us so far, hull twice, fife twice and dundee, no disrespect to them but thats the reason.
If the height of your ambition this season is to finish above the Blaze, I think you will be quitely content at the end of the season. If you want to finish above 4th, I think you might struggle based on current form ;)

Slartibartfast

I think Devil Dom hit the nail on the head with this comment.

"Pierce is a very skillful player but is also a bit of a maverick. IMO he tries to do too much on his own sometimes. In a lot of ways he is very similar to max and that to me is throwing the balance of that line all off."

Max and Pierce are two of the most exciting players the Devils have ever had but the line isnt working. Lots of showboating going on but it often doesnt work (especially with Pierce). When Pierces showboating comes off it is awesome but often he loses the puck at critical times.

I hate the constant reshuffling of lines but I think it is time for a reshuffle to fix the first line. Seperate these two great players, give them the right linemates and I think the Devils will be a force to be reckoned with.

Re: Re: Devils v Steelers - 09/10 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/U

rolf said:
i wanted us to out-muscle sheffield tonight and what happens? 1st period Voth draw 2 mins for boarding for an ok check. that sends a message to the team to watch themselves and negates our physical threat. how many times has the team been slated for taking dumb penalties and not playing to the ref? seems we are darned if we do and darnelled if we don't (see what i did there?) and tonght precious tom was intent on an exhibition match. shame. it is poor refs like him that are strangling this sport. if he had reffed the enl game vs invicta last night it probably would have either been abandoned due to fighting or due to not enough players to finish the game.

that all said, we had a massive bench and used about half of them against a very short-benched opposition. why franny didn't unleash burrows, piggot,davies and harding to take the legs off the steelers i do not know. in fact piggot took his first shift when we were 0-1 down which quickly became 0-2 and i never saw burrows or harding all night......................................
As shown in preseason the line with burrows Davies piggott and harding we did really well, so why not do it again? Also whilst I look at the bench and with no disrespect what does franny do? I watch him through games and if ppl go.on the bench injured or haven't played well you don't see him saying, u ok? Or well done or you need to do this next time. Could just me my opinion

Is there the possibility that an exhausting journey to and back from Fife last night affected many players performances ?

Well while the travel could be a reason we can't use this as an excuse all the time. We must remember we won 22 games in a row last season where we would have had tough trips I even recall when we played 4 games in a week and won them all....

Last night when the team actually played a bit tougher in the last 5 minutes they got the goal and rattled Sheffield but it all came too late...

As mentioned something is not quite right and a bit of a re-shuffle may be required. Plenty of hockey to put it right so let's hope they do....

I think a few players need to lean the ol' saying name on the front not the name on the back.