Devils v Steelers - 05/03 @ 16:00 - CC Final - Chat/Updates

RTfarty

That was the most obvious penalty there's been in a while. Whilst the officials do a decent job, they seem to miss a few easy calls which even I could've made! He held Haddad against the boards which is holding. Another blatant penalty was the knee on Bordy! That was blatant and seemed nasty.
Have to disagree here, I thought Bordy was lucky to not get called for leaving his knee out. If we're thinking of the same moment, Fitzgerald has the puck and moves to avoid a mid ice hit from Bordy.

Ocko

It doesn't help having 2 referees from Sheffield! Felt like they missed some major calls e.g. the knee on Bordy, the elbow from Desbiens etc.However, great win and a great performance from the Devils and now we move on to Dundee. Let's keep it going and the league could be ours!
Darnell isn't from Sheffield, he's from Milton Keynes (his family used to own MK Kings).

I disagree with your points on the penalties, Bordy and Fitzgerald could have been called either way, it was 50/50 IMO. The others were just part of the game, we got away with some, so did they. If you want those calls in our favour we would've picked up a couple of extra ones for other things too. I'm glad they didn't call much.

JC23

Darnell isn't from Sheffield, he's from Milton Keynes (his family used to own MK Kings).
You beat me to it on this one. If I recall correctly, Darnell's brother Matt also plays for an MK team somewhere in the NIHL (or maybe it's rec league...could be either) and is actually a pretty good player too. It probably helps that he's much much bigger than Tom.

RedDevil17

There were a couple of dodgy calls perhaps but you're always going to get that. By and large, the refs put the whistle away which is a good thing. No issues at all with how the game was officiated for me.
I really liked the 4 man system as well. That worked and maybe they should use it more often. The officiating was ok but some calls should've been made. However, they let the game flow which made it a great game of hockey

backrow

I agree that they let a lot go but that's what made that very questionable late penalty call all the more bizarre. I was shocked that the whistle was blown at all but thought the call was going against the Steelers? A good example of "PK Karma" maybe!

Jones72

Can't see anything anywhere else...apologies if I missed an answer: anyone know the reason there was no representation from the Elite League to present their first trophy of the season?

KaneDevils

I've noticed in this league, officials call a lot of penalties in the last 2 or 3 minutes.
The one on Sunday though was probably correct. The commentary team on ice time agreed.

I thought a big factor on Sunday was our board play. It was excellent and we seemed to win the majority of battles. Haddad is a beast at retaining and winning possession along the boards. A future C if ever I saw one! Fantastic player.

Ocko

I thought a big factor on Sunday was our board play. It was excellent and we seemed to win the majority of battles. Haddad is a beast at retaining and winning possession along the boards. A future C if ever I saw one! Fantastic player.
I'd agree with that. Whether it was a tactic or not the Steelers seemed to surrender the outside areas a lot, which played right into our hands. We're an excellent team down low and on the half boards and dominated that area. Steelers just couldn't get anything going as a result and put themselves under pressure.

Our forecheck was also superb. Steelers are the best transition team in the league and rely heavily on their breakout but our forecheck just stopped them getting that first outlet and quick up pass going.

Honestly think that's our best performance all year.

august04

For me, it was the most complete Devils performance of the season by some distance. To be able to do that in a tense, one off final is unbelievable and the coaching staff and players deserve the plaudits they're getting from everyone across the league at the moment. That's a very good Steelers team when they're allowed to play their game but we totally suffocated them in the second and third periods and dominated the game.

Devil_Abroad

I've noticed in this league, officials call a lot of penalties in the last 2 or 3 minutes.
The one on Sunday though was probably correct. The commentary team on ice time agreed.

I heard the commentators agree but they do tend to do so on most calls until they see a replay and then they call it 50/50 if it could have been called either way or therefore be a non call; and they will also give the ref the benefit of the doubt too if it is 50/50 as in 'well I can see why he might have called it' etc

Looking at the incident several times since I think it was harsh. Both players were trying to dystopian each other getting to the puck as it passed by the boards so for me it was 50/50 and either both called or allow it to go; I'm guessing Darnell wanted to stop the breakaway and therefore blew the whistle but he then could have called both players to be fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James

Administrator
It's not so much was it a penalty as would it have been called earlier. If they are letting things flow, why suddenly call a minor infraction. It's possible that Darnell had already warned about it though and said he'd punish it the next time he saw it. That seems to be when we as spectators think the ref is being random when he isn't.