Devils v Stars - 25/10 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

Will be relying on MNL and twitter tonight. Hope the devils win but can see it as a tough game. Dundee have picked up some decent results so far and seem hard to beat. Netminder as previously said also seems to be gaining some good praise.

Chris

Administrator
phew :D

4 points for Faulkner and Blight tonight, 3 points for Birbraer... Looks like the first line is working at least :)

kettdevil1

Chris said:
phew :D

4 points for Faulkner and Blight tonight, 3 points for Birbraer... Looks like the first line is working at least :)
That extends Mac's lead at the top of the scorers charts to Ryhanan (who picked up 2 points tonight) to a couple of points. Chris Blight's 4 points move him to 4th overall and Maxi is now up to 5th. Add in Phil in 12th and our big guns are looking good.

Now, if we could get more secondary scoring and tighten up our D then we would really be dangerous.

Riopel was very good tonight and had me thinking we weren't going to score. Thankfully we did with the 1st line having a great 3rd period.

Nice to see Quiney getting some ice time and Deeds played well once again. He was intimidating but didn't take stupid penalties.

Good result.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I thought that was a very poor performance. Riopel was good in net however the amount of scrambles in front of our own net and the amount of giveaways in our own zone was worrying. Dundee are probably the least physical team I have seen in the bbt for many a year. In my opinion we should have bullied them tonight and apart from deeds trying to fight Hutchins there was no physicality. I can't remember a single occasion when we were aggressive on the forecheck

Positives I suppose we're that we took the two points.

Did anyone get the impression that the players thought his game was won before they had hit the ice?

osh

Just got in from the BBT. Thought they worked really hard for 3 periods until the legs went at the end. Great team effort and deserve praise for the style they play. Quick to break from defence and with better finishing could have scored more goals. No cheap shots, no retaliation and no stupid penalties! Well, thats enough about The Stars, what about The Devils?

Two very poor periods in my view, the whole team appeared to think they only had to turn up for the win. What the hell was Marsh doing for their first goal? His positioning was of a novice standard and got punished for it accordingly in the first minute, and wasn't much better for the rest of the game. Ben wanted to take one touch too many and was way below par tonight. Hilly just wasn't at the races. We took stupid penalties tonight and we won't get away with it against more clinical sides. Not a good performance by any stretch of the imagination.

Max appeared to be getting worked up by the team's lack of effort in the first two periods and it was left to Faulkner and Max himself to rescue us with 3 goals with Blight chipping in with the empty netter. G & Franny won't be pleased with that performance, but a win is a win and lets hope for a huge improvement over the weekend. Final word for The Stars, well done guys, thought you deserved a point.

Ger-Devils

Was a weird game. Very different team to Sunday in all honesty. Were they keeping themselves for the weekend? No hits until the 3rd, passing was off and silly mistakes.

You can't take nothing away from Dundee. Them two goals were very well worked and that 2nd was a screamer.I was impressed with their netminder Riopel, Rhyanen, Wirll,Bagron and one or two others.

It's a shame our Brits couldn't finish them chances as they were lovely moves. Was good to see Quiney get quite a bit of ice time. The kid is now training with NIHL 1 Devils. Long night for him.

Two huge games this weekend and we need to play much better for the full 60minutes and hit like we did v Nottingham. It sparks the whole team.

eastsidedevil said:
I thought that was a very poor performance. Riopel was good in net however the amount of scrambles in front of our own net and the amount of giveaways in our own zone was worrying. Dundee are probably the least physical team I have seen in the bbt for many a year. In my opinion we should have bullied them tonight and apart from deeds trying to fight Hutchins there was no physicality. I can't remember a single occasion when we were aggressive on the forecheck

Positives I suppose we're that we took the two points.

Did anyone get the impression that the players thought his game was won before they had hit the ice?
1. There were two non-physical teams.
2. This year's Devils haven't the players to bully any team - that's a recruitment fault.
3. Forechecking - we haven't got the high energy, two -way skaters like Matzka, Michel ( to help McRae and Ben Davies).
4. The two point positive - agree!
5. Players thinking the game would be easy - not my impression! We're simply a mediocre team .....the first two months' matches reveal. I welcomed the victory over the Panthers.......but Panthers should have won by 4 or 5!!

schulersagoodun said:
5. Players thinking the game would be easy - not my impression! We're simply a mediocre team .....the first two months' matches reveal. I welcomed the victory over the Panthers.......but Panthers should have won by 4 or 5!!
Panthers should have won by 4 or 5? Behave! The Panthers were there for the taking last weekend and didn't impress me at all considering they're a big budget arena team. The boys grafted hard to get the win then and deserved it, so suggesting the Panties should have won by 4 or 5 isn't a fair reflection of that game at all :roll: . I can't comment on tonight's performance though as I wasn't there tonight.

Mediocre team? Is anyone else finding that difficult to judge? We have probably played teams within our conference more than the other teams have. The league is of a format where I'm struggling to see how we are doing relative to others (excluding Belfast)

e.g. Sheffield have 17 points
If we were to win our game in hand over Sheffield, we'd go top of the league with 17 points.
If Nottingham win their games in hand over Sheffield they'd also have 17 points.
If Coventry win their games in hand over Sheffield they'd also have 17 points
And we'd all be over taken by Belfast, Braehead and Fife if they win their games in hand

It's going to be a close league this year... Brilliant

DevilDom

I think we need to give credit to Dundee for the way they played rather than criticise the devils. For 2 periods they played an excellent road game of trap hockey and absorbed everything the Devils threw at them. Granted we were not at our best but I did get the impression some of the guys thought it would be an easy game. The fact is that every team has improved this year and there is no longer any easy games which is great for the league.

I thought the Stars first line was very good and their D played extremely well for 2 periods blocking a ton of shots and were always in the right place at the right time. It was frustrating as a Devils fan but you have to give them credit. In the 3rd our persistance finally told and once we got the 1st goal you could see the confidence come. The Stars Nettie played very well too. A bit worrying that all our scoring is coming from 1 line at the moment and I think we really need another import forward to help change that.

Personally I'm enjoying the fact there are no give me's and each game is a bit of a battle. Its making the season much more interesting.

Can't comment on the performance as was not at the game.. but to come from 0-2 down and score 4 goals in the final period shows character and desire.

The team a few weeks ago may have gone on to lose at 0-2 down but even if the performance was not at its best something good seems to be happening on the first line especially...

A win is a win and it doesn't matter how they come.. lets hope for another good performance and crowd this weekend.

2 games v Coventry surely has a good weekend of hockey to come!!!

Finny

Ger-Devils said:
Two way skaters? Faulkner and Blight do that well I thought?
I'd argue the only reason people don't realise how good a two-way forward Faulkner is like Matzka is because he is banging the goals in too. And I've been impressed with how Blight is happy to throw his weight around too - especially after Pierce threw about 3 checks last season. All in the same game.

Dundee impressed me. They put as many players between us and the net and then broke with speed. They have a very good netminder too who is going to steal them quite a few wins this season.

Last year when we played the Scottish sides midweek we were able to cruise around in second gear and still get the win. That isn't going to be the case and we had to give everything in that final period.

The conference system means the Northern teams are winning a game most weekends, instead of going on long losing spells and turning up in Cardiff with no confidence. I'm not surprised we didn't give 100% from the start when we have two huge games this weekend. Delighted with the belief in the team to come back and still get those two points.

mazza03

First two periods we were dire only picked up in the third. Stars I thought were really good and should have taken 1 point, I felt sorry for them the look on their faces as they skated off said it all, but we won :Banana :pickle

osh

Headlines in the Echo 'DEVILS DEMOLISH DUNDEE'. By Terry Phillips

Hardly demolished and a very unfair headline. Sometimes I think he wasn't even at the games he reports on ! ;)