Devils v Panthers - 7pm 24/01 - Chat & Updates

ASHIPP

Sadly, see it's another case of 'what could have been' tonight. :cry: Jay and Phil getting 10 min misconducts didn't help during the closing stages. :x The Vother stepping up to the mark. Anyone know if Lee Cowmeadow is ok?

The Chavs at least managed to stem the flow with Manchester with a fantastic comeback in the game. We are, however, now 2 points behind the Phoenix. 5th place just looks a bit further away than it did earlier on. :x

Last I heard was that Cowmeadow had been sent to hospital in severe pain with his elbow and throwing up. Hope he is ok.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the officals dressing room after the way G stormed across the ice after the match and straight into their office, followed later by the Panthers coach.

Cowmeadow did look to be in a hell of a lot of pain, last thing we need is another player down, hope hes alright. The officiating was absolutely terrible tonight, i wouldn't say it cost us the game but it was shocking. Adams was absolutely fuming and i don't blame him, the panthers were getting a way with hell and they knew it and played on it.
Unfortunately the devils also decided to take a few stupid penalties to add insult to injury, and at points were all over the place, you cant win games with some of the passing that was going on tonight. At other points they looked good though and the third goal was nice, they do seem to take too long on the puck infront of net though giving the goalie and defence enough time to read the play.
edit: vother seems to be back to his old self, and is very entertaining to watch as ever :p was brilliant when he tried to take the goalies water, and when he finally got the time out :lol: .

Can anyone tell me what Jay and Phil's misconducts were for at the end?

We were stood where Cowmeadow got hurt - was not nice? Looked like a broken wrist and it swelled instancely. Hope he is ok

Tonights officiating was terrible. There was no consistency and several important calls were missed. I felt tonights game got to a point where it had become dangerous - and as a result we did come off with 2 injured players and Clarke for the panthers didn't ice in the 3rd either - not sure why.

Would have paid to be a fly on the wall with G after the game - he was not amused.

Other than that i felt we played an average game and panthers D was right on - they always know how to break us down. Taking nothging away from Pathers, they were the better team and deserved the win tonight.

As far as I could see Jay got 10 for abuse of official as he was telling Smith what he thought of his reffing skills.

And Hill hit Neilson on the helmet, although I didn't see it but thats what someone said.

Smith was terrible tonight, the majority of the calls confused me and lack of calls against the panthers was stupid. Some how Matt Myers stayed out of the box the whole game, although this seems to happen most times we play them even though he is constantly hitting people off the puck.

yeah hill did hit neilson's helmet/side of the face on the way past, another silly penalty really, but i suppose by then we had no chance anyway. Don't blame jay for telling him what he thought, the fact that none of the devils shook hands with him says it all.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #29
Well bugger.

What on Earth has happened to Smith? At the start of the season he was one of the best refs we've seen for a while, tonight was rubbish. Loads of missed calls for both teams and about no control at all over the game.

Our passing was all over the shop tonight, but we didn't play too badly, Panthers just played better and took their chances infront of net. I'm still of the opinion we're desperately missing a player who can bury the puck. As above, we're a couple of seconds too late on the puck, and apart from the goals it seemed like we just kept hitting the puck straight at Robinson...

Not sure what was going on with our powerplay, it's looked better recently but tonight we seemed to gift Panthers a fair few breakaways.

Apart from Smiths random penalties, some of the other penalties we took seemed ridiculous, am surprised Francis wasn't caught clashing towards the end. Someone should remind him that Voth had a 12 game ban for that :)

I hope Cowmeadows injury isn't as bad as some reports, it certainly didn't look good though. Hopefully he'll be back for next season and/or the playoffs.

Bit of a rambling post, i'll probably think of more to add later :)

Chris.

I thought Deano had a terrible game tonight - may not have cost us the game but certainly took away any chance we had of winning the game - it was always going to be hard against the Panthers, but with them having massive helping hand from Dean tonight then we had no chance - he basically let them get away with all sorts - and IMHO he lost control of the game before the end of the 1st period. There was nothing consistent about his performance tonight, and he definitely favoured the Panthers for the majority of the game...I could not believe how dirty they played and were simply allowed to get away with it - no wonder G was furious at the end...

Unfortunately we have picked up a few more injuries too now it seems - Cowie was in a hell of a lot of pain with his arm/elbow - and it sounded very bad for him, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery Cowie. Silver has problems with his thumb/wrist too - and I would presume looking doubtful. Also heard that Jay got given a Match Pen at the end - can anyone confirm this - looks like we could be going to Manchester tomorrow with Towe and Hill playing as our Centres...

Nice to see Brad back to his normal self at last though - won his quick fight easily, and scored 2 goals - the 2nd a hell of a classy move and finish...

Maybe one day we will be able to play a full strength team eh?

Smith was awful tonight, like people have said it didn't cost us, but that is one of the worst refereeing displays i've seen. He is usually a decent ref as well so it was surprising.

Hope Cowmeadow is ok, but i could hear him shouting in pain from the back of block ten, so i'm not holding much hope of seeing him icing soon.

G doesn't seen to have the bottle to pull the keeper, 23 seconds left when you're two down is too damn late. There were plenty of chances in the last two minutes and may have given us a shout. Aubry was even calling for it!

Gazza272

Dwoods said:
Silver has problems with his thumb/wrist too - and I would presume looking doubtful.?
He picked that up from another slash coming in from a panthers player!

Team hollywood? after tongiht more like team cheap!

Was going to wait 'til tomorrow to post 'til I calmed down - but what the heck.

I've never maoned about a ref before but tonight was an absolute disgrace - players (on both sides) were slashing, hooking and Myers seems to have become an expert at dirty hits off the puck - how he was never binned all night I'll never know!!!! To end up with two players hurt tonight is dreadful and it wasn't bad luck it was about players knowing the ref wasn't calling things so lets keep having a go - I said in the first ten mins that we'd be lucky if we got through the game with no injuried. Lee looked in a terrible state but why did they keep the camera shots on the screen - I can understand why they may want it filmed for game purposes but it wasn't nice to see it on the screen. As we left the rink an ambulance was leaving under blue lights I really really hope Lee is OK. The sad thing was Gallbriath skating away with a stupid smirk on his face - Mr Gallbraith it really was not funny - I'm not the physical type but I could quite happily have punched your lights out with your reaction to the injury - you were not only a disgrace to the Panthers but to all Ice Hockey players...... but I don't suppose you'll loose any sleep over it.

I has hope the slash Tessier put in on Silver has not done some long term damage - Silver did not ice after that or reappear on the bench.

I'm really not suprised Jay had something to say to Smith at the end of the game - he seemed to spend the entire game with a PAnthers stick around his waist or between his skates...

My other half has beena season ticket holder since the first season but he came away tonight commenting "If the refereeing does ot improve I'm not wasting money on watching the Mr (Insert surname of any Elite league ref here) show week in week out. I've had enough"

The time out debacle towards the end of the game just summed things up really....

I've never seen G march so quickly accross - fuming was an understatement.

But as this is the Elite league I'm sure nothing will be done - we'll get the same old excuse that teams are not prepared to pay for refs etc etc. With the money they make at the Play-offs each year I'm sure they could afford some decent refs etc. As a friend at Coventry said recently you pay peanuts and you get monkeys!!!!

Aghhhh - oh well off to watch some well reffed hockey on the TV now... Rant over!!!!!

Finny

Latulippe did recieve a Match penalty for Abuse Of The Official at 60.00.

Which means he will miss tomorrow's game, unless the Devils appeal with the argument that Jay was only telling the truth.

nmase20 said:
yeah hill did hit neilson's helmet/side of the face on the way past, another silly penalty really, but i suppose by then we had no chance anyway. Don't blame jay for telling him what he thought, the fact that none of the devils shook hands with him says it all.
Looked like just a little facewash. Since when is that a 10 minute misconduct? To think the Panthers fans on the Cage were worried we'd bully them tonight. Did they think they'd get in all the cheap shots first?

Also I can't believe that no one has beaten up Myers yet. Does nothing but whine and cheap shot players and then dive when someone breaths near him. The penalty that the Panthers scored their 1st goal on came because Latulippe pushed Myers at face off who flew through the air like Finnerty, and then spent the whole shift chasing Latulippe and then charged at him to check him and he ended up on the floor because Latulippe stood up to the check. How was that a penalty to them, Myers should have had the penalty for charging!

Tessiers slash on Silverthorn was deliberate too, he was smirking after it. Did Silverthorn ice again after it?

Finny said:
Latulippe did recieve a Match penalty for Abuse Of The Official at 60.00.

Which means he will miss tomorrow's game, unless the Devils appeal with the argument that Jay was only telling the truth.
Can't we just appeal it anyway, that way he can play. And then he'd miss Basingstoke in the knock out cup instead, and we're 8-0 up. How are the refs going to prove what was said anyway? The 3 refs can have their story, and then 5 of our players can say, no he didn't say that :lol:

:x Couldnt have said it better myself Rhio you hit the nail right on the head,Smith was a disgrace to refs...Panthers were playing very dirty and cheap shots at our players which they got away with,I thought Steelers were bad but Panthers are a disgrace..... I for sure wont renew my season ticket next year either if we have stupid refs who are only capable of doing a linesmans job.... :twisted:

Gazza272

Merthyr Devil said:
[
Tessiers slash on Silverthorn was deliberate too, he was smirking after it. Did Silverthorn ice again after it?

Nope he did come back on the bench but he didnt ice, i'm not suprised there was a smirk on Tessier's face they are an arrogant bunch the lot of them this evening. Made my blood boil.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #39
Off topic but...

I suppose it comes to down to whose word you trust. If the club were to appeal and win, sets a rather big precedent for any misconduct penalty called for any player on any team.

Not really a route i'd want to go down.

Of course, I could be well off in my view :)

Chris.