DEVILS v Giants - Sat 25 (FO 7pm) & Sun 26 (FO 6pm) Mar 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

Have Hope#35

I hate to disagree but my understanding is that the semifinals are seeded according to LEAGUE position not play off seedings.

So Davils will play the winner of the Clan v Stars game unless Clan win and Flyers beat Giants then we play the Flyers.

If I have that wrong I apologise

PS

we have to blow out the STORM first
It's Playoff seedings as I mentioned above... We cannot play Clan or Giants in the Semi Final!

"Seedings for the Final Four will be determined by the original quarter-final ranking – so the highest-placed team left in the playoffs will be ranked as the highest seed, with the first seed playing the fourth seed and the second seed playing the third seed in the semi finals."

Devil_Abroad

Just had it confirmed that it is based on Playoff seedlings not league position for Semifinals as it is for Quarterfinals. So Clan, if they and we get through, will be #2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gough60

EIHL posted an explanation on play off seedings last Friday which AT THE TIME stated the semi-final seedings would
revert back to final league positions. This has since changed so that the seedings for the semi-final WILL be based
on the 1/4 final seedings.

E.D.S.

EIHL posted an explanation on play off seedings last Friday which AT THE TIME stated the semi-final seedings would
revert back to final league positions. This has since changed so that the seedings for the semi-final WILL be based
on the 1/4 final seedings.

Thank you for the clarity. I thought I was going mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russky

Ideally I'd like us to be playing Fife or Braehead but in order to be the best you have to beat the better teams but as Nott Simpson said, lets get past Manchester FIRST and not take anything for granted!!! Both Nottingham and Sheffield have been guilty of this in the past and they both came unstuck and didn't qualify for the Play offs weekend. Lets not do that. I am sure Lordo and the team are just focussing on the immediate task of beating Manchester over the two legs.

Last edited:
Am I the only fan who wonders about the EIHL seeding system where a 5th place team, whoever it is, ends up being seeded #2 overall. I think it would be better to base the seeding on the overall results of all the interlocking games, whatever that would be, rather than this outcome.
The most important trophy is the overall League Championship but yet one of the 3rd and 4th place teams will be knocked out in the 1st round as a result of this system.

Devil_Abroad

Am I the only fan who wonders about the EIHL seeding system where a 5th place team, whoever it is, ends up being seeded #2 overall. I think it would be better to base the seeding on the overall results of all the interlocking games, whatever that would be, rather than this outcome.
The most important trophy is the overall League Championship but yet one of the 3rd and 4th place teams will be knocked out in the 1st round as a result of this system.
NHL has a similar seeding process. It's a way to encourage one conference to improve if they're struggling against the other.

I'm neither for it nor against it - it is what it is.

Devil_Abroad, there's been a great deal of complaining about the NHL playoff system this year because two of the best teams in the East will have to playoff very early because of the seeding system. Whoever finishes 2nd and 3rd out of Columbus, Washington and Pittsburgh will play off in the 1st round and they could finish as the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference.

Devil_Abroad

Devil_Abroad, there's been a great deal of complaining about the NHL playoff system this year because two of the best teams in the East will have to playoff very early because of the seeding system. Whoever finishes 2nd and 3rd out of Columbus, Washington and Pittsburgh will play off in the 1st round and they could finish as the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference.
I would love the FA Cup to be a truly 'open' competition where all teams are drawn out of the hat in August including the Premier League teams. Same for World Cup and European Cup. Sorry, gone off on a tangent lol

Vartel

We know why Lord put out the team he did last night so key players could be rested. So we knew the team would be up against it. Sure, some of the play was very poor like the passing etc. Yes, the intensity seemed to be missing. Yes, spectators paid good money to be entertained; me included.

However, I'm pragmatic. We've won 3 trophies so far and going for a fourth. In winning those 3 trophies we played just as poorly in previous games with a full roster whilst at other times playing awesome hockey.

Why shouldn't you want to go on Saturday? Last home game. Full roster. Trying to qualify for the POFW against a team who sets up to play the trap and does it extremely well. Our guys will want a building that's rocking and supporting them. So please do go. Yes the second game is in Manchester, but if we take a 4 or 5 goal lead then surely that puts it practically to bed before the Sunday game?

I was a bit down and drunk when i posted that comment. After sobering up i have bought tickets for Saturday's game

ASHIPP

A ludicrous situation where the teams in the Western Conference/Pacific Division who have secured Playoff berths have less points than some teams who are in very strong, competitive divisions. Seedings should be based on consistency of performance/league position, not location.