Devils v Giants - 27/09 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

On Sunday I witnessed the worst ever Panthers team I have watched especially during the 2nd period. Tonight I think I have witnessed the worst ever Devils performance I have seen, can't be sure but none spring to mind. I don't mind losing when the team have left everything on the ice and fought for every 50/50 puck, that is real Devils hockey, what I saw tonight isn't.

jimmy snels

Furious!!! :x that was garbage. G has to sort our defending out! And its not defending in alot of cases by D men. how many times did we let a man just waltz into the hole and wait for a tap in?! Marsh and mark smith are putting themselves on the line. is batch? Or more to the point is milan? I don't think he moved all game he's so uncommitted to physical contact. Im also annoyed at our lack of will to change tactics. Dump n chase basically or Stuuuuu holding the puck around the back of the net boards to pass to anyone... usually a giant when they worked out his only trick

osh

I can only agree with what others have said about this ultra dire performance from our team tonight. I must first of all give credit to the Giants who outplayed, out-muscled, out thought, and sad to say, out coached us this evening. The Giants looked a yard faster than us, had more passion (especially after the Max hit) and taught us a lesson in how to finish in front of the net. Our power play is getting worse as we progress into the season and we certainly cannot give away stupid penalties that cost us so dearly. It was a delight to see the Giants PP in action and I only hope we can learn from the lesson we were given by them in both PP and PK play. In summing up, it has to be one of the poorest displays I've seen from a Devil's team in a long time !! (but I expect Finny will find something good to say about us in the match report :lol: )

Finny

I fully expect everyone to disagree with me based on comments I overheard as I left. Anyway....

For two periods I thought it was an absolutely brilliant game. Physical, non-stop action, lots of controversy, no referee consistency and both netminders stopping lots of shots.

Belfast started the game far, far better than the Devils. We looked like we had played the night before in Iceland and had only just returned home. There were huge longs spells where we just couldn't get out of our zone and if honest we were lucky to be only a goal behind at the break.

Second period was the complete reverse. Devils started much the better and were all over the Giants but just couldn't find the goal they deserved. Murphy was having one of those nights where one moment he was brilliant and the next unbelievably lucky as the puck seemed to hit him when he wasn't even looking.

Having been dominated physically in the first period, the Devils started hitting back in the second period. A huge Birbraer check sent one of the Giants flying to the ice, and there didn't seem to be any complaints from Belfast until the game was stopped as he was injured.

For the next shift though all hell broke loose and it was a miracle that nobody was injured. Lloyd especially seemed lucky not to be called for several penalties, and at the next break in play Hicks had a long chat with Christiansen, and I didn't notice Lloyd after that.

Anyway, into the third period and the next goal was going to be crucial. Belfast were on the PP after a very soft call on Kenton, which just as the Devils had killed the Giants scored.

Devils heads dropped, and two quick goals in less than three minutes meant the game was over as a contest.

One incident which I still don't get though did happen in the remaining minutes of the period. I missed the actual hit, but Ben Davies went down in the corner and Hicks raised his arm. Stewart was already in the bin by the time Davies finally got up, and it was clear straight away there was a lot of blood around his mouth and chin.
The Devils bench called Hicks over to look at it, but decided not to increase the penalty.
I thought a High Sticking penalty which drew blood was an automatic 5+game?
Davies went back to the changing room for treatment and I don't think he iced again?

For me, Hicks was really inconsistent again. He called a soft penalty on the Devils at the start then an even softer one on Belfast straight after. Then for 10 minutes he let everything go. Lloyd was all over the ice checking people more than a fraction late but nothing was called. Yet when Didiomete did the same he got called for interference?

I haven't been that impressed with Didiomete on the ice so far other than a couple of nice passes, but I thought this was by far his best game tonight. He was physical, winding up the Belfast players and getting in their faces. Some really good puck handling, if I had one criticism it would be that he tried to do too much at times when he should have looked to pass.

Despite the loss and dreadful third period, the first two periods were of a high enough standard that I still enjoyed the night. I was entertained, and that for me is the most important thing.
Though as I said, leaving the rink it would appear I was the only one.

DevilDom

I think rather than getting too down on the Devils players a lot of credit has to go to the Giants. They made us look ordinary for large parts of the game and looked by far the best team I have seen this year.

Saying that I think the majority of Devils fans can take losing but it is the manner of the loss which gets people. We did seem to lack spark, grit and fight when things went against us. The D looks shaky since G moved forward and we seemed to lack ideas on how to change things up. The PP remains awful and for this I think some of the blame has to go on the coaching as it was awful last year and the year before (until Weller arrived).

Diafol

That was the worst performance I've seen from a Devils team since the Blaze thumped us 7-1 at home a few years back. Certain players are coasting at the moment, one or two new signings are not living up to their pre-season hype, and our D is all over the place.

Here's hoping a turnaround takes place pretty quickly...

Sheincar

That was garbage & what the hell Milam thinks he's doing is anyone's guess. The D needs to cover the back door but seemed to have no sort of awareness.

davew

As Finny says, the 1st 2 periods were "ok".

Hicks certainly was inconsistent tonight, he "missed/didn't call" several penalties at pivatol moments in the early part of the game. But the calls he made seemed genuine.

At the end of the 2nd I reckoned the game could have gone either way until we simply imploded in the 3rd.

Max B earlier highlighted Ben and Max as having good patches of play, BUT not one of the devils team deserved even a 3rd star...

Two players (contraversial perhaps) have not for me been good enough to continue to wear our jersey since game 1. Namely Milam and Osaer.

Milam was brought in because of his Blue line shot etc. He is not even the same standard as Jason Becker or Kirk De Waele.

We really are missing Richie and G needs to get back to playing on D, which I firmly believe is where he plays his best hockey

Osaer has not performed well imho, An import slot wasted, he might be cheaper as housing probably isn't part of his package now he has married a local lass, but I really would have kept lilly on until the "right guy" came along.

As far as crowds are concerned they will not get any better with performances like tonight...It's not the loss but how we lost.

Ger-Devils

Two players I would love to see play for the Devils, Adam Keefe and Daryl Lloyd - two of the best forecheckers in the league.

Onto the game, very close through the first two periods but time and time again the D were caught missing and left Osaer to hang to dry. Very frustrating to be honest with you. We didn't take our chances and we had plenty in all honesty. Where was out spark tonight? These crowds will continue to get worse if things are not sorted out.

Ocko

I think the coaches should take a bigger chunk of the blame. We have no plan B; if the game needs a spark or a message sent to the other team we are one of the only teams who fail to send the tougher guys out to either fight, wind up or hit the opposition. We desperately needed a physical game tonight but throughout were bullied yet again and lacked any edge to beat Belfast. It wouldn't hurt G to take a step on the bench for a game. He's largely uneffective so far, the only thing he seems to have mastered is the one handed push as an alternative to a check. He's on the third line so needs to bring either a high energy game which he clearly hasn't got or a physical game which for some reason has completely gone. The Clan loss is another perfect example, they bring a short bench got beat the night before but we play like a team of nancies! We needed to get stuck into them from the drop of the puck and the same should've happened tonight.

The worst part however was the complete lack of passion. It's not cheap to watch the devils anymore so to see the team 4 goals down and completely give up with over 10 minutes to go is not only disgraceful but edging on financial suicide! I doubt there are many who didn't leave with a sour taste tonight.

AAAAHHHH so frustrated and disapointed

we need to take the body and hit people, when we do we look a lot better team. When the fans start shouting get into them on a regular basis then take it on board and throw your body around.

we play in the smallest rink in the league lets use it to our advantage.

lost all the one on one battles across the ice. if they come into our zone they need to know that they pay the price and get checked and put on backside too often opposition skate into front of net waiting for a pass, d really need to muscle up.

first period was exactly what I had expected fast open play and we looked pretty good.

max hit should have sparked us up but giants hit everything that moved and we just took it.

Milam shot where is it??? he was in front of net and waited for a stiff wrist shot rather than a big slap, let it go even if you miss the net but things might happen

We are blue collar team that needs to work hard too many tonight did not put body on the line.

and sorting any problums out with the team is not easy as 9 times out of 10 you got one of the big boys up next. no time for g to sort things out. after the caps sat we got notts a , steelers h, blaze a, giants a, steelers a, panthers h, so if your not one of the big money boys it could be a long hard winter ! and i think we all know wot that may bring.

Slartibartfast

Being trying to get my friend to a Devils game for 20 years.Always telling him how great the Devils are. Finally succeeded and took him to the Belfast game last night. DOH ! :DWD

How to describe the performance last night?

Remember the time you bought a firework, lit it, stepped back and waited for this amazing spectacle to appear in front of your eyes....?

...then....fizzle...phut and nothing happens!

That's how I felt leaving the BBT last night. It was a total damp squib of a contest in my opinion. I actually used the word "embarrasing" last night. Don't think I have ever used that to describe a Devils game before.

Early days I know but they must turn these performances around, especially in our own barn. Good time to start will be on Saturday! Hopefully the Caps will be at the end of a Devils backlash following yesterdays game.

Foxy

Finny said:
I fully expect everyone to disagree with me based on comments I overheard as I left. Anyway....

For two periods I thought it was an absolutely brilliant game. Physical, non-stop action, lots of controversy, no referee consistency and both netminders stopping lots of shots.

Belfast started the game far, far better than the Devils. We looked like we had played the night before in Iceland and had only just returned home. There were huge longs spells where we just couldn't get out of our zone and if honest we were lucky to be only a goal behind at the break.

Second period was the complete reverse. Devils started much the better and were all over the Giants but just couldn't find the goal they deserved. Murphy was having one of those nights where one moment he was brilliant and the next unbelievably lucky as the puck seemed to hit him when he wasn't even looking.

Having been dominated physically in the first period, the Devils started hitting back in the second period. A huge Birbraer check sent one of the Giants flying to the ice, and there didn't seem to be any complaints from Belfast until the game was stopped as he was injured.

For the next shift though all hell broke loose and it was a miracle that nobody was injured. Lloyd especially seemed lucky not to be called for several penalties, and at the next break in play Hicks had a long chat with Christiansen, and I didn't notice Lloyd after that.

Anyway, into the third period and the next goal was going to be crucial. Belfast were on the PP after a very soft call on Kenton, which just as the Devils had killed the Giants scored.

Devils heads dropped, and two quick goals in less than three minutes meant the game was over as a contest.

One incident which I still don't get though did happen in the remaining minutes of the period. I missed the actual hit, but Ben Davies went down in the corner and Hicks raised his arm. Stewart was already in the bin by the time Davies finally got up, and it was clear straight away there was a lot of blood around his mouth and chin.
The Devils bench called Hicks over to look at it, but decided not to increase the penalty.
Davies went back to the changing room for treatment and I don't think he iced again?

For me, Hicks was really inconsistent again. He called a soft penalty on the Devils at the start then an even softer one on Belfast straight after. Then for 10 minutes he let everything go. Lloyd was all over the ice checking people more than a fraction late but nothing was called. Yet when Didiomete did the same he got called for interference?

I haven't been that impressed with Didiomete on the ice so far other than a couple of nice passes, but I thought this was by far his best game tonight. He was physical, winding up the Belfast players and getting in their faces. Some really good puck handling, if I had one criticism it would be that he tried to do too much at times when he should have looked to pass.

Despite the loss and dreadful third period, the first two periods were of a high enough standard that I still enjoyed the night. I was entertained, and that for me is the most important thing.
Ben actually had a tooth knocked out which was why there was so much blood. They called Hicks over whilst looking for the tooth which was eventually found by the linesman.

I thought the first two periods were ok but what the hell happened in the third i dont know. Players need to take a long hard look at themselves. Im beginning to wonder whether letting Lyle go and forsaking the extra import forward was a good idea............

DevilDom

davew said:
As Finny says, the 1st 2 periods were "ok".

Hicks certainly was inconsistent tonight, he "missed/didn't call" several penalties at pivatol moments in the early part of the game. But the calls he made seemed genuine.

At the end of the 2nd I reckoned the game could have gone either way until we simply imploded in the 3rd.

Max B earlier highlighted Ben and Max as having good patches of play, BUT not one of the devils team deserved even a 3rd star...

Two players (contraversial perhaps) have not for me been good enough to continue to wear our jersey since game 1. Namely Milam and Osaer.

Milam was brought in because of his Blue line shot etc. He is not even the same standard as Jason Becker or Kirk De Waele.

We really are missing Richie and G needs to get back to playing on D, which I firmly believe is where he plays his best hockey

Osaer has not performed well imho, An import slot wasted, he might be cheaper as housing probably isn't part of his package now he has married a local lass, but I really would have kept lilly on until the "right guy" came along.

As far as crowds are concerned they will not get any better with performances like tonight...It's not the loss but how we lost.
Good post and I don't think its too contraversial to say Milam and Osaer have been our 2 biggest underperformers to date. Give me Lyle and an extra out skater any day. Milam looks lost, unfit and out of his depth most of the time.

Finny said:

Not the only one. I would agree with most of that and thought for a neutral hockey fan it was a decent game to watch. For most Devils fans and any newbies though I don't think it would have encouraged people to part with any more cash this week and fear that tomorrows crowd will be well below 1000.
The refereeing was again, baffling at times and inconsistent throughout, it just seemed to be magnified in the third. The call for a high stick which causes injury is 2 + 2, Franny called Hicks to the bench and pointed out the injury which Hicks seemingly ignored, I didn't think it was at the refs discretion, I thought it was an automatic call.
Whilst there seems to be one or two players that haven't "bedded in" yet I don't think we have any poor players or weak links. My main concern is Barri McKenzie, he works hard for the puck, puts it in some decent positions and gets himself into what seem to be the right places in front of goal and some of our imports seem to have a problem giving him the puck back. He was brought here on the back of his performances for Edinburgh last year, he will never replicate those performances until his team mates put a little faith in him.