Devils v Giants - 04/01 - 6pm - Chat & Updates!

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Hey hey,

MNL will be running for this game at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl.

Devils have Prpich and Cowmeadow back, but still without Fulton, Hartwick and Campbell.

Giants are also without a full strength team, but I can't remember who's out injured :roll:

Both teams come off victories last night, Devils beating Bison 4-2 and Giants beating the Phoenix 3-1.

Chris.

Chris Stone said:
Hey hey,

MNL will be running for this game at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl.

Devils have Prpich and Cowmeadow back, but still without Fulton, Hartwick and Campbell.

Giants are also without a full strength team, but I can't remember who's out injured :roll:

Both teams come off victories last night, Devils beating Bison 4-2 and Giants beating the Phoenix 3-1.

Chris.
Andrew Martin is not icing for Belfast he has a foot problem i think,

Awada and Cheverie looked decent last night, v Manchester, with 3 players down i think it will be a tall order for us but the Devils have played very well while be short benched

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #6
Apart from losing, it was quite a good game I suppose.

We had a lot of chances that we just can't seem to finish off, Lyle was beaten several times but the resulting melee infront of the nets made sure the puck didn't cross the line...

Good to see Prpich back, him and Latulippe probably looked our best players on the ice again, unfortunately I didn't see the goal as I was stuck in a queue in the bar area when the game restarted, I think everyone had gone there for warmth.

Not sure what else to say, wasn't an overly exciting game, but at least the atmosphere was a bit better than other games recently.

Chris.

mazza03

First period I thought they looked to be playing as individuals but the rest was better, I agree we need some power to finish and put the puck in the net.

nicky27

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I didn't think the game was that great. What I can't understand is why can't we have replacements for the injuries like other clubs seem to. We could be contending for the title if this was the case!

Wannabe2

I enjoyed the game, and thought we were unlucky to lose, was very impressed with the effort from the lads, so many leaders out there tonight, and Aubs had a cracker. When you are playing one of the top teams in the league, and playing with 3 import skaters less than them, then it is always going to be a uphill battle. Belfast are a top budget team, and in Colin Shields have a Brit who is import class. Yes we lost the game just, but myself i was very happy with our players attitude, and there commitment was spot on, i always want to see my team win obviously, but if i am entertained and lose then i think i have had my moneys worth. We need more bodies on the ice, we all know that, and our coach will know that better than most, and will surely address that when and if players who will be beneficial to us become available. Unbelievable to find us in a similar position to last, injury wise, but these last few weeks this team have been inspirational in there endeavour to deliver, and for that i take my hat off to each and everyone of them. The full squad we have this season, would have been a bloody handful for anyone, and its a great shame we havent had the pleasure of seeing that. So for now thanks go to everyone on the bench for there total commitment for our great club.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Koop11

I thought for 2 periods we put in a decent performance and 5 on 5 were the more positive team. However, spending most of the 2nd period shorthanded was going to takes it out of us in the 3rd and as ever we ran out of steam. The same old story for us this season - more than compete with teams but lack that clinical edge in front of net.

The positives, I thought Aubs was solid again. He has put in some great performances during the winter session so far and overall I think the defence has been pretty solid given that we’re an import short in that department. Jarvis looked really sharp last night. I don’t want to jinx us at this stage of the season but at this time I would sign our whole blue line and goalies for next season. With a little sharper finishing up front we’d have a really strong title challenging team.

Another positive was the penalty kill. It was the best I’ve seen from us. The Devils are notorious for a decent penalty kill, mainly to the fact half our games in a season are played on our small ice pad. On the flip side, probably why we are notorious for such a poor PP also. But last night’s penalty kill was superb. Ultimately though, this is what killed us off in the 3rd and it was a case of trying to hold on in the end. Overall the player’s approach and attitude going into these games is very good indeed and it is always encouraging to see the metal game is certainly there.

Unfortunately at this time, the forwards are feeling the strain now. We have a lot of fixtures coming up and I fear the forwards are going to burn out. I hope we have some signings in the pipeline because the forwards, despite their dogged efforts, are running out of gas in games.

august04

Wannabe2 said:
I enjoyed the game, and thought we were unlucky to lose, was very impressed with the effort from the lads, so many leaders out there tonight, and Aubs had a cracker. When you are playing one of the top teams in the league, and playing with 3 import skaters less than them, then it is always going to be a uphill battle. Belfast are a top budget team, and in Colin Shields have a Brit who is import class. Yes we lost the game just, but myself i was very happy with our players attitude, and there commitment was spot on, i always want to see my team win obviously, but if i am entertained and lose then i think i have had my moneys worth. We need more bodies on the ice, we all know that, and our coach will know that better than most, and will surely address that when and if players who will be beneficial to us become available. Unbelievable to find us in a similar position to last, injury wise, but these last few weeks this team have been inspirational in there endeavour to deliver, and for that i take my hat off to each and everyone of them. The full squad we have this season, would have been a bloody handful for anyone, and its a great shame we havent had the pleasure of seeing that. So for now thanks go to everyone on the bench for there total commitment for our great club.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
I can't agree that we were unlucky to lose. The Devils played well and gave their all under trying circumstances, but were beaten on the night by a far more potent and creative attacking side. I thought Aubry was superb and it would have been a more comfortable Giants win if he hadn't pulled off some unbelievable saves. I agree with Koop to an extent, this is the strongest Devils D we've had for years and they should all be signed up for next season (along with Aubry), import numbers allowing. The problems we've had all season are obvious, too many grinders up front, not enough skilled players who can score regularly. Missing out on Birbraer was a huge blow but makes me feel better that we're showing the ambition to go for players like him at this stage of the season. That's just the type of player we need next season to mount a serious challenge.

august04 said:
this is the strongest Devils D we've had for years and they should all be signed up for next season along with Aubry
I totally agree one hundred percent! If the D have confidence in the goalie, and the goalie has confidence in the D, then thats perfect, and to be honest, i think we have that. All we need is the balance up front. Again this season, we have been hit by Bob's voodoo doll. I think the balance is not too bad, we have 4 guys who can score and others that can chip in. I'd rather have 4 guys who can score regularly than just one that can score all the time.
The last couple of games that we have lost have been close, and thats with guys out of action. On our day, we can go with the best of the elite.

I agree with the comments regarding the Devils defence being awesome this season - particularly last night on a couple of the 3 v 5 penalty kills.

Was an OK game last night. Overall, Giants probably deserved to sneak the win although both teams had chances to score a couple more. As many others have pointed out - Devils just seem to run out of steam in the 3rd.

Devils in the 3rd (Devils score first)

v Giants - 0-1
v Bison - 2-2
v Blaze (away) - 0-1
v Blaze (home) - 0-0

OK, I know Devils were winning in a couple of those, so therefore didn't need to score, but I'm sure if anyone has the stats going further back - you'll find that Devils rarely score, and very rarely "win" the 3rd.

Looks like we need to be 3 up by the end of the second :?