Devils v Flyers - 18/09 @ 18:00 - League - Chat/Updates

matbur

@pjj365 I agree with what you are saying, but that to me describes a team who're still becoming familiar with each other and finding their way through games together.

As you say, once those first few goals popped in the standard went up a notch and they quality the team has was clear for all to see.

I didn't think much of Fife btw, I thought they were supposed to be half decent. Their goalie looked particularly poor imo.

Temme

That surprises me, I thought Shane Owen made some fantastic saves last night keeping them in it for the most part, not much he could do with Hotham's first and I do agree with the pace we have in Ulmer/Benti/Martin/Mo/Asselin their defence tired massively and they couldn't keep up, a lot of the goals were scored with the goalie making the initial save but the D not helping at all.

Sotham's goal (first) there was little he could do - and a PP goal at that, same with the Martin PP goal, no goalie will stop that shot with 6'6 of Bordy in front of them.

Bordeleau's goal was a tap in with the defence nowhere to be seen, Mo's goal was another tap in due to nobody getting close to Louis with his skate through their zone straight to the net, I can't even remember the other 2 goals off the top of my head but to me Owen and Dingle were real standouts for them last night.

Have to say that the more I say of Brine, the more I'm impressed. Obviously there has to be something for someone to get a run in the NHL, but when he was initially announced I had my doubts (though I think that was because I wanted to see out and out attacking forwards - lesson learned!). Now though, I'm convinced we've made a top signing, last night he was outstanding on the PK and in general play. A very clever player, his puck control was excellent - there was one occasion where he coughed it up with a bad pass, but he was straight after it - and from the sounds of things he's a leader off the ice too. I think he's not going to get the most recognition because he's not the flashiest player, he's more an ice hockey equivalent to a good blindside flanker, but we are very fortunate to have him playing for us.

Electro

Do we, the league and the team expect to much at the moment

The first period last night seemed to be trying to deliver the promised and expected skilled hockey but all a bit hit and miss

After the second and third goal the physicality was stepped up and self belief seemed to kick in and the level of play improved

We are all right to have the expectations but once the burden of expectation is removed by good consistent performances the progress made so far will be consolidated and, to paraphrase Wannabe2, other teams will be watching us
Yes we do.

It's been dry for too many yrs, add the history and you have all the ingredients to make that level of expectation all the more stressful. It's highly likely some of that pressure transfers across to players and their performance.

Is that level of expectation placed on certain people that are too inexperienced to bring that success so soon, in my opinion, yes. That does not mean that l believe those people are in the wrong job, l wouldn't expect a talented employee placed into a new role, untested to then out perform experienced people who are competing for the same achievements that quickly.

It's also early days in the season, l certainly wouldn't write off the team. Having said that, if performance is erratic through the season and success is not forthcoming l'd be surprised if changes are not made at the end because this team is good with the potential to succeed. If it fails it'll not be because of the players we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

A solid result. P1 started very nervously, I thought. The team were desperate to get that first goal to boost confidence. After that the performance became much more fluid and fast as the game continued. Some really lovely moves and signs of chemistry building....but these line pairings surely have to remain settled? Keep playing like that and hopefully the guys can build some consistency.

I would put into perspective that Fife did not play particularly well last night...they were missing two imports and were obviously exhausted and demoralised. It sometimes does make it a bit easier for an opposing team to punish mistakes and a team when they are down.

I am far more concerned about playing Steelers next weekend in a crucial CC away game - they scored 4 UNASSISTED goals against Panthers last night as they secured a 7-5 victory after falling behind.:eek:
The two top teams (Steelers/Panthers) so far going at each other - next weekend will be the massive test to see what level the Devils are at against the league favourites.
Hope Lordo will be studying all the video footage from that game.

A solid result. P1 started very nervously, I thought. The team were desperate to get that first goal to boost confidence. After that the performance became much more fluid and fast as the game continued. Some really lovely moves and signs of chemistry building....but these line pairings surely have to remain settled? Keep playing like that and hopefully the guys can build some consistency.

I would put into perspective that Fife did not play particularly well last night...they were missing two imports and were obviously exhausted and demoralised. It sometimes does make it a bit easier for an opposing team to punish mistakes and a team when they are down.

I am far more concerned about playing Steelers next weekend in a crucial CC away game - they scored 4 UNASSISTED goals against Panthers last night as they secured a 7-5 victory after falling behind.:eek:
The two top teams (Steelers/Panthers) so far going at each other - next weekend will be the massive test to see what level the Devils are at against the league favourites.
Hope Lordo will be studying all the video footage from that game.

I wouldn't read too much into the Steelers result against the Panthers last night - Panthers were playing Pacl in net; and by all accounts, he played terribly (going by what people have been saying). They swapped him out for an injured Wiikman towards the end of the third period, I think. 4 unassisted goals just indicates to me that Pacl was spewing up rebounds and the Panthers defence weren't there to clear the puck!

KaneDevils

You don't get unassisted goals from rebounds. 4 unassisted goals in one game is ultra rare and suggests more so that the goalie was hung out to dry.

KaneDevils

Sure. I meant that he wasn't doing a good job with the saves that he was making, leaving the puck loose.
I know what you meant. But 4 unassisted goals I doubt would of been his fault. And if he was replaced late in the third, he couldn't of had that bad a game.
Wiikman still injured? He looked ok when he shut us out only days ago?

Wiikman has a minor ongoing injury, but that didn't seem to hinder him too much last season! Looks like a game in and a game out for him at the moment perhaps?

A crazy 24 hours for us and panthers.
We couldn't score a goal against Panthers who beat us Saturday. Then on Sunday we score 6 and panthers concede 7.. The next two cup games are important otherwise we will be struggling to qualify even in 4th place

KaneDevils

Just watched the highlights of Steelers Panthers. Seems the Panthers nettie would want a few of them back but was left hanging on a few too. Nottingham obviously forgot how to defend after playing us? All too easy for sheffield.

matbur

That surprises me, I thought Shane Owen made some fantastic saves last night keeping them in it for the most part, not much he could do with Hotham's first and I do agree with the pace we have in Ulmer/Benti/Martin/Mo/Asselin their defence tired massively and they couldn't keep up, a lot of the goals were scored with the goalie making the initial save but the D not helping at all.

Sotham's goal (first) there was little he could do - and a PP goal at that, same with the Martin PP goal, no goalie will stop that shot with 6'6 of Bordy in front of them.

Bordeleau's goal was a tap in with the defence nowhere to be seen, Mo's goal was another tap in due to nobody getting close to Louis with his skate through their zone straight to the net, I can't even remember the other 2 goals off the top of my head but to me Owen and Dingle were real standouts for them last night.
Yeah, perhaps I was wrong about the goalie. I couldn't have noticed Bordy screening him on Martin's PP goal which was one of the goals which I felt was a soft on.

Just watched the highlights of Steelers Panthers. Seems the Panthers nettie would want a few of them back but was left hanging on a few too. Nottingham obviously forgot how to defend after playing us? All too easy for sheffield.
Just watched the highlights also. A lot of easy goals scored by the steelers.

Yeah, perhaps I was wrong about the goalie. I couldn't have noticed Bordy screening him on Martin's PP goal which was one of the goals which I felt was a soft on.
Bordy is an epic presence in front of the net - How did you miss him?! He looked glued to the ice for that screen.

The first 10 minutes I thought the flyers did well on the forecheck and we just couldnt get going. We had the PP and then just as it expired Dingle gave away a pretty needless penalty from which S.Hotham scored a beauty and we went on from there. I though yhe Hotham bro's were outstanding and just ruled the ice at times despite both being on defence! Thought after the first 10 mins our passing and cycling was great and the flyers just couldn't keep up.
Also a big shoutout to Bordy for his goal and assist, there will be nights he won't contribute points but he brings so much to the table with his undoubted presence. It was his forechecking that led to his goal and it was so well deserved, you could see he loved playing out there tonight and was rightfully given a bit more ice time and was the screen in the PP, he was a rock in front of owen. A great advert of what this devils team can do.

Devil_Abroad

Yes we do.

It's been dry for too many yrs, add the history and you have all the ingredients to make that level of expectation all the more stressful. It's highly likely some of that pressure transfers across to players and their performance.

Is that level of expectation placed on certain people that are too inexperienced to bring that success so soon, in my opinion, yes. That does not mean that l believe those people are in the wrong job, l wouldn't expect a talented employee placed into a new role, untested to then out perform experienced people who are competing for the same achievements that quickly.

It's also early days in the season, l certainly wouldn't write off the team. Having said that, if performance is erratic through the season and success is not forthcoming l'd be surprised if changes are not made at the end because this team is good with the potential to succeed. If it fails it'll not be because of the players we have.

So again, I ask, you don't rate Lord? Is that the point you are trying to make?