Devils v Flames

Wannabe2

Thread starter #81
Bit confused here, if we lost Sundays game because of pens due to physical play, we had 76 pms against us of which 49mins of them were given in the last 2 mins, when the game was lost anyway. That leaves 27 pms left of which 10 pms were not attributed to physical play, so did we lose the game due to 17 mins of physical play, as Flames also had 5 pms for physical play, so was it due to being in the box, or scoring less goals.

Mazzoak

I hope Lordo doesn't think the opinions on inferno are'the fanbase'
We are but a tiny minority.
If he does, then he really does need to re-evaluate his career choice. Coaches need to have thick skin, they also need to understand everything can turn around very quickly.
Ice Hockey Coaches are lucky in this country, limited options regarding coaches is an understatement, as are decent officials.
Blaming officials is a slight deflection, it’s an easy excuse, when in reality most of the issues are poor decisions by coaches and individual player performance. A bit like loosing your head at the end of the game, picking a fight at exactly the wrong time & against someone not interested.

doron

perhaps we could have a referee league table of performance. i bet no one would want to be at the bottom of that table. but who would be impartial enough to judge them? i don't think they would like that idea

august04

I don’t even know half the refs anymore, so they must have been fast tracked when we went to 4 officials. Some are either clearly not ready or simply not up to it. Plus we’ve lost one or two of the decent ones (Jan Smejkal in particular). Use the savings from having one less import next year to fund recruitment of some new officials. It can’t go on like it is now.

Imp

I don’t think the powerplay is an issue at all. Yes sometimes they overhandle the puck, or allow the opposition to close down shooting lanes by hanging onto the puck for too long, but the Devils have the only powerplay that is over 20% efficiency in league action.
Over the course of the weekend it only dropped from 25% overall to 24.56% so the powerplay to me isn’t an issue. League average on the PP is 17.14% so the Devils are way above that right now.
An interesting example of reality diverging from observation. Properly surprised by this!

I’m not overly swayed by raw percentages (100% of 1 is still only 1, so you can get big percentages from small samples) but this example genuinely seems to stack up. Teams are all broadly in the 50-ish PP opportunity area (accept Steelers who are somehow on 90!), with more-or-less the same number of games played. Also worth noting that all teams have roughly equal PP and PK situations.

Embarrassingly, the Devils PPG% is probably higher in the games I‘ve seen live, than in the ones I’ve missed. :oops:

Can’t argue with results I guess. Bring on more totally anaemic seeming power plays! :p

voth26

If he does, then he really does need to re-evaluate his career choice. Coaches need to have thick skin, they also need to understand everything can turn around very quickly.
Ice Hockey Coaches are lucky in this country, limited options regarding coaches is an understatement, as are decent officials.
Blaming officials is a slight deflection, it’s an easy excuse, when in reality most of the issues are poor decisions by coaches and individual player performance. A bit like loosing your head at the end of the game, picking a fight at exactly the wrong time & against someone not interested.
Can I ask a genuine question why are your post so negative and critical lately?

bb1

What I really want to know is who govern and makes all the big decisions in this league???

Simmse apparently pointed at Kelman the other night re DOPs and ppl may think that is tongue in cheek but knowing Simms and his care free attitude he may have a bit of a point as to how influential Todd and other GMs are.

I have no doubt that the GMs and owners have some if not all the influence on decisions on the league and the way it's ran and Todd always seems to be the spokesperson when there is a change.

If this is the case then surely the owners and GMs must take responsibility as to why officiating is poor and why the league is losing its physical edge and appeal to the masses. If they are trying to make it more family friendly by trying to stamp out fighting and physical play then im certain this will have huge consequences in years to come and not for the better.

We must not forget than ice hockey in the UK is a niche market and compared to football and rugby it's fan base is tiny. I'm all for inclusiveness and making it available to families etc...but to change its IDENTITY for this.....it's crazy esp for a business point of view. Yes North America have been the cog in the wheel of the change with the instigator rule etc...but they have millions that follow ice hockey not just 30-50k in the U.K. (At a guess). Its their national sport in Canada etc....in the U.K.....WE DON'T have the luxury of it being our no1 sport. There are many other sports in the UK people can drop ice hockey for and follow, in fact we are spoilt for choice.

I'm not saying here we need to see the revival ofenforcers everywhere btw. Our owners have openly said how they love old school hockey...If hockey in the U.K. became less and less physical and more like the REC leagues (for arguments sake) how long would they want to stay in Cardiff and run a team? If rugby became touch rugby in years to come would it have the same attraction.....NO.

I know I may be sounding a little OTT here but week in week out fan bases league wide are complaining about the officiating. Our own fan base has given Lordo a hard time with our lack of physical play....I for one openly admit I thought it was all his doing as he never complained about officiating in any interview until yesterday. He openly said how every hit seems to get penalised and he didn't know what to do!!!.....That's a problem when someone who rarely says a bad word about league officials comes out with this! This frustration he showed is aimed directly at the league and at this rate it will slowly choke the game here unless it's dealt with.

If it is the case that the GMs and owners are influential in how the game is going then I really hope they take a minute to think of the negative impact it could have a few years down the line.

Just my 2p worth.

Rob Batch

The 'Flames' are a high quality team that are on a roll. I am frustrated with the unavailability of match highlights as this seems like a game full of incidents which need scrutinising, ha ha! Lordo's interview left me with the impression that the stripey's won't allow us to play the physical game without penalties. Confusion reigns (rains).

jimmy snels

how many hits have been called for or against us this season? As far as im concerned even in the CHL barely one has been. But to me if you use your stick its called almost immediately. I dont buy lack of physical play due to officials at all. even in this game 2x cross check, 1x slash & 1x trip. I've not seen a charging called all season.

Earnie

Let's face it, the Sheffield and Guildford games have been highly entertaining (not that I saw the latter) so carry on guys but be smart.

Imp

Flames game was great for two (scoreless) periods and, apart from the result, the third period wasn’t bad to watch either.

NO IDEA how it kicked off with Riley. Flames player was cartwheeling across the ice, so obviously something happened - it looked to me that he‘d gone for Riley from behind and somehow got it spectacularly comically wrong - but it then wasn’t a surprise that they started punching each other a few seconds later. Was a bit surprised that Riley got done for starting it, but then I missed whatever led to the upside down airborne Flame in the first instance. :D

voth26

Can anyone clear something up for me, on Saturday steelers player got 2 mins for abuse of official namely hogarth. On Sunday Riley and Linglet got 10 mins each for abuse of official? Just wondering why??

Imp

Not sure about Riley, but Linglet was so far over the line he's lucky it was only 10 minutes.

Steeler likely said something naughty.

Linglet had a full on arms flapping, foot stomping, toddler temper tantrum... at a time where the whole situation was getting out of control.

Last couple of minutes, scramble around the the goal, powder keg situation, and Linglet’s fuse was the first to go. Wouldn’t be surprised if part of it was that he knew that any penalty took him out of the game, so what the hell.

Last edited:

mjh

I personally think the devils need to get lord out and bring in a coach who allows physical gameplay it proved when the devils were playing physical against the steelers they were scoring goals and as soon as they stopped the physicality they were conceding goals as a former hockey player myself I know what I’m talking about and plus more physical hockey brings more bums on seats I know lord has won trophies over here but we need more physicality and players who play for the loyalty not just for the pay check

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Devilsatw

I personally think the devils need to get lord out and bring in a coach who allows physical gameplay it proved when the devils were playing physical against the steelers they were scoring goals and as soon as they stopped the physicality they were conceding goals as a former hockey player myself I know what I’m talking about and plus more physical hockey brings more bums on seats I know lord has won trophies over here but we need more physicality and players who play for the loyalty not just for the pay check
Now I know I talk a little poo sometimes but this is taking the piss. Sorry

Is this idiot for real. Ex player ? What at pee wee level, yes I want physical hockey checking and a couple of fights when required . All this can be done without sacking lord . Some people are clueless, just a question are you back Rolf talking your nonsense?