Devils v Capitals - 16/03 @ 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

Skippy

Re: Devils v Capitals - 16/03 @ 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updat

James said:
Sorry about MNL, both myself and Skippy were stuck in traffic around Birmingham and didn't get to Cardiff till around the end of the second period
Pesky traffic

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

It just proves you can get back from West Wales easier than from Birmingham.

If I had known that there was a problem I could have left the races earlier. It wasn't as if I was backing winners like "her indoors"

mweller

Sheincar said:
Plenty of atmosphere in blocks 2 & 3 as always.
Actually I thought even in blocks 2 & 3 (though good) it was a bit subdued. Even our reliable chant-starter was a bit bored by it all. Nothing wrong with this, sport is a human thing after all, and we react to what happens on the ice. There was something almost pitiful about watching the Capitals, it stopped being a sporting contest after the 2nd (probably 1st) period. It was like you just wanted it to end and put them out of their misery.
The players did well, not fluffing the moment, but it was a "thanks for the training session" kinda game. That's great against rivals, but against a shortbenched, dispirited team it doesn't generate excitement.
I'm not sure what the person wanting more entertainment expected? Dancing girls? A magician?

Finny

It might help if the DJ doesn't play songs that are more appropriate for a nightclub at 1am. The songs played in that third period were shocking.

mweller

Finny said:
It might help if the DJ doesn't play songs that are more appropriate for a nightclub at 1am. The songs played in that third period were shocking.
Ah, you weren't a fan of the new electro-boogie beats (as I believe the kids call it) that were being laid down? Maybe but the atmosphere owed more to the dead Capitals than poor-dubstep choices I think.

I felt sorry last night for the Caps too, but I think it's extremely harsh for some people to suggest they shouldnt be in the league at all!! They had some good wins earlier in the season - including Nottingham and Belfast. Last night they actually 'demoted' some players to their SNL team on purpose - as that team would win the SNL league with one more vicotry. Infact, that team did get the win and they are SNL champions! So who knows, the youngsters coming through now may improve the senior team in the near future. Also, you couldn't blame them prioritising the SNL team seeing as the EIHL team were playing for nothing.

Wannabe2

shoes_off said:
I felt sorry last night for the Caps too, but I think it's extremely harsh for some people to suggest they shouldnt be in the league at all!! They had some good wins earlier in the season - including Nottingham and Belfast. Last night they actually 'demoted' some players to their SNL team on purpose - as that team would win the SNL league with one more vicotry. Infact, that team did get the win and they are SNL champions! So who knows, the youngsters coming through now may improve the senior team in the near future. Also, you couldn't blame them prioritising the SNL team seeing as the EIHL team were playing for nothing.
What about the dopey buggers like me who paid top dollar to watch that charade, don't get any pleasure in saying this but no way should they be in the league. Feel very sorry for fans and at one time they were a real force, but now it's a joke, and is a rip of to other fans.

Sheincar

I'm sure there have been people who've said the same thing about us after paying out to watch us get thumped 7-1 by Sheffield, 7-3 by Blaze & 7-1 by Belfast.

Wannabe2

Sheincar said:
I'm sure there have been people who've said the same thing about us after paying out to watch us get thumped 7-1 by Sheffield, 7-3 by Blaze & 7-1 by Belfast.
Very true but we at least won 24 games as opposed to 12, showed up with a full compliment of skaters, showed some physical presence on the ice, not always agreed. Edinburgh season in season are the whipping boys, there again we could be the Cardiff Capitals next season.

Ocko

Sheincar said:
Absolute rubbish. There is no way any opposition fans questioned our involvement in the league or our value for money. We have almost double the points as the Caps and no team think we are the walkover team the Caps are, its almost guaranteed points for a training session.

You cannot compare our injury, suspension and off ice problems which have effected our season to a completely under funded team for this level of hockey.

However bad our season is we are only 6 points behind Nottingham. Puts into perspective that if you take away the run away leaders who have been brilliant and the caps who might as well not bother its been incredibly close in the middle pack.

There were plenty questioning our involvement in this league after we were hammered 4-11 by the Giants this year....and I seem to recall that after that disaster of a game there were a few on the Inferno suggesting that we played in a different League. :DWD

Give the Caps a chance. Clearly they have some solid talent at Junior level (as we do and have done in the past) and it is great to see that they have a system in place that might bring some quality GB players into the mix in the future.

Clearly we completely bossed the game up at Murrayfield when we hammered them 2-1. :roll:

Caps to stay in this League and long may they do so. Just IMHO of course.

i think without the conference system they may he kaput..there attendance figures are very low..even with the other scottish teams (esp Flyers) outsupporting them..they need to up there off-ice product...

Ocko

Tyke Devil said:
There were plenty questioning our involvement in this league after we were hammered 4-11 by the Giants this year....and I seem to recall that after that disaster of a game there were a few on the Inferno suggesting that we played in a different League. :DWD

Give the Caps a chance. Clearly they have some solid talent at Junior level (as we do and have done in the past) and it is great to see that they have a system in place that might bring some quality GB players into the mix in the future.

Clearly we completely bossed the game up at Murrayfield when we hammered them 2-1. :roll:

Nobody was questioning our participation in the league because we were were coming bottom every year, or that we aren't good enough for the EIHL - that isn't the case for the Caps. It was because of the circus of this year and whether PR was going to put us there (and the subsequent rights and wrongs of doing that).

I wouldn't read much into the success of the SNL team as a bi product of the standard of Junior players either, the SNL is NIHL2 standard. Edinburgh hasn't produced a single player for GB U18, U20 or the National Team this year I believe, probably the only EIHL team to not do so. If there was relegation is this league they'd make an effort and invest in their team more for sure. Such a shame though, its nothing personal against the Caps, but to see what was once a great team (under the M'field Racers) just be the whipping boys every year is sad.

Ocko

And back to the game, Piggot was my MoM tonight. Added a good mix of playmaking and skill to his incessant work rate. He is seeming more at ease at EIHL level recently and much more than a 4th line work horse.

mweller

Amazepux said:
i think without the conference system they may he kaput..there attendance figures are very low..even with the other scottish teams (esp Flyers) outsupporting them..they need to up there off-ice product...
You may be right - and it'd be a sad day for all of us. It's not as if UK hockey is overflowing with rich clubs waiting to play in the EIHL, so be careful what you wish for. Of course, it's a very different case from any other team (inc ourselves) having a couple of bad results (when we consistently beat the panthers I don't think people suggested they shouldn't be in the league), the Capitals really are adrift. But we should support them I think - UK hockey is such a minority sport that a) that could be any one of us next season and b) finding spare change down the back of the sofa (metaphorically) can change it around for a club.

totally agree...the days when we used to go over to play the racers were fantastic with T Hand..C Kelland S Neill and Moray H..we used to take a beatin more often than not..the games moved on...flyers take 400+ fans at least to murrayfield but they only bring maybe 30 - 50 and thats being generous to the auld barn..there forum is very apathetic moreso than normal..the arenas a dump..under/late investment in players..i hope somehow they turn it around..and feel for their loyal fans..

ASHIPP

Tyke Devil said:
There were plenty questioning our involvement in this league after we were hammered 4-11 by the Giants this year....and I seem to recall that after that disaster of a game there were a few on the Inferno suggesting that we played in a different League. DD

Clearly we completely bossed the game up at Murrayfield when we hammered them 2-1. :rol:
And Steelers just managed a win in Edinburgh on Saturday. Poor attendances, lack of finances and losing 2 key imports who were not replaced hasn't helped Capitals' season.

Devils have spent majority of the season at the bottom end of the League too and at times with a run of losses they have almost been whipping boys themselves. Edinburgh should be in the League.....they have been unfortunate this season not to have the infrastructure to resolve their problems.