DEVILS v Blaze - Tue 26 (FO 6pm - home) & Wed 27 (FO 7:30pm (away) ) Dec 2017 - League - Chat/Updat

Rempel16

The blatant dirty hit that went uncalled and not a team mate to stand up you mean. Yep seen about 4 tonight. And our net minder ran. Make no mistake we got bashed all around our barn tonight and as a fan its very unentertaining to see litrally no reaction. Highlight of the year used to be these boxing day matches. I went away happy to scrape a win, annoyed at that lack of devilness (is that a word? Not sure but it'll do) and livid at the ref who was diabolical. Bownsy saved our arses tonight imo.
I completely agree with this. Yes we are winning, yes we are top of the league, but am I entertained? I'm not so sure... some plays were great with intricate passing, but...
I really miss the days where players wouldn't come into our barn and own us, but tonight Pacquette ran the show. He has already taken out Faryna once this year and he alsmost got Hotham tonight.
What did we do? Absolutely nothing.
I think I'm in the minority and miss the old school retirbution, so ill say no more after this post, but I have to be honest, I can't remember the last time I looked forward to a game. Why? We are so soft, not like the Devils i loved.

When people who have never been ask about a game? I used to say how passionate it was with edge of your seat intensity. Now I'm nervous of inviting newbies unfortunately. Matsos hockey was winning hockey, but Sheffield lost fans.
I'm not suggesting it's like that but I have to admit I've been bored more than entertained this year and that's sad to admit.

jenks33

Eh? After that hit on Benti, the devils were smashing everything in their way and had momentum 100% in their favour... To take a fight at 3-3 is stupid...

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk
Agree with this. I think we are too soft at times but after that hit on benti I thought we showed the right amount of physicality. I also wouldnt be surprised if the devils were wary of getting too physical with the way Pering was reffing the game. I don’t like to moan about refs but he wasn’t consistent tonight and the devils should feel aggrieved with his performance.

Excellent post Rempel16....I totally agree. I have been watching this team for about 16 years now, and up until the last couple of seasons what kept me going to game after game home and away was the style, passion, aggressive nature and ferocious game I have grown to love. It was not the winning of trophies! I must say however when the first one came along, it was a fabulous thing. Challenge Cup coming back from an away loss of 3 zip to win the trophy. The owners, Bob Phillips, Paul Regan, in it for their own reasons and not those that were best for the fans, and now The Calgary Four. They have brought success, trophies and a good brand of hockey. But this season has in the main been boring. We get pushed about and do not react. Players get injured and we do not seek retribution. We dress players to warm the bench. We play players out of position and expect miracles. There have been as many fights so far this season across the league, as there were in the whole of last season, and the only way we get to see them is on the internet., not at IAW. I would encourage people to come and see the Devils, but whereas historically it would have been to see the intensity and physicality, now it's to see a winning team and the overall match night experience. But what brings people back? I am not sure it is the latter. I attend in the hope I get to see some old time Devils hockey, and if it happened I don't want to miss it. But how long will I keep spending my hard earned money chasing this .......who knows, and I expect many others feel the same.

It amazes me that some Devil fans just aren't happy no matter what the team does. They win BUT, they tied BUT, they lost and this is WHY. AYFKM ? The game of hockey has changed and continues to change to a skilled game . Players fault ? Coaches fault ? Not at all. The rules have changed over the last 10 years and it has morphed into a more skillful game . Coaching has changed, technology in hockey has changed and the days of goon hockey is over so get on board with it or stop watching it. Do you want the Devils to retailiate, get a penalty , get scored on and lose a game ? Then you'd say that they need to control themselves. When this team plays at full potential there's not a team in the league i'd rather watch. How many championships does this team have to win before you're satisfied ? Or maybe you wouldn't be because there wasn't a fight . I would think that if the players felt the need to retailiate they would. Just because Bowns get's bumped now and then doesn't mean the other team is running him. Have you ever taken a good hard look at the other end and seen how many times the Devis bump the other team's goalie ? Ever seen Myers bump their goalie ? Haddad ? Faryna ? Hotham ? Anyone who goes to the net has the chance to bump the goalie , it doesn't mean they're running him and there needs to be a punchup. I get that you like to see a good scrap, we all do, but you're going to see less and less fights going forward. It's just the way the game is. Every shift of every game means something and pissing away a championship because you think the need to " get even " makes no sense. Wanting to see fights tells me you know little or nothing about the game . Enjoy this team and the championships they win because they don't grow on trees. Cherish your championship teams while you have them because they don't last and the players you're watching, Martin, Bowns, Haddad, Hotham etc only come around few times in a lifetime. Hockey is a beautiful game, a frustrating game but it's the best game in the world to me, not because of the fights but of the physicality, the science, the passion, the speed , the skill and yes the odd scrap.

kettdevil1

Looking forward to the rematch this evening, just a bit of a heads up, the weather up here has been a bit grim overnight and although the roads are clear, I would allow a bit of extra time to get to Cov. This probably won’t affect many Devils fans but the A14 is blocked at Catthorpe and horrible elsewhere.... stay safe!!

Rempel16

That's a good post Outsider, and one that you end with your enjoyment of the physicality (among other things). Well if you've been watching recently we don't have that.
We have a relentless forecheck which i admire, but more often than not it's pole checks without being physical. If we threw 10 body checks last night then I would be surprised. (And thats still one every 6 minutes!)
I keep reading that the game of hockey is changing and that's fine, do maybe it is me and I need to give my seat up for someone else.
Outsider, I'm guessing you didn't see the game last night based on your Bumping Bowns comment. Dingle only did it accidentally but there was room for reaction and zero came- that gave the Blaze the green light which started in the very next shift when Pacquette took a run at Reddick- no reaction. Next shift, Vallerand starts taking liberties... so you may think that a goalie bump was incidental, well for me it signalled a big change in momentum and from that point onwards the Blaxe knew they were leaving Cardiff with at least a point.
I wasn't the only person booing Pacquette and shouting for someone to step up, but appreciate that I'm in the minority with this opinion.

E.D.S.

Excellent post Rempel16....I totally agree. I have been watching this team for about 16 years now, and up until the last couple of seasons what kept me going to game after game home and away was the style, passion, aggressive nature and ferocious game I have grown to love. It was not the winning of trophies! I must say however when the first one came along, it was a fabulous thing. Challenge Cup coming back from an away loss of 3 zip to win the trophy. The owners, Bob Phillips, Paul Regan, in it for their own reasons and not those that were best for the fans, and now The Calgary Four. They have brought success, trophies and a good brand of hockey. But this season has in the main been boring. We get pushed about and do not react. Players get injured and we do not seek retribution. We dress players to warm the bench. We play players out of position and expect miracles. There have been as many fights so far this season across the league, as there were in the whole of last season, and the only way we get to see them is on the internet., not at IAW. I would encourage people to come and see the Devils, but whereas historically it would have been to see the intensity and physicality, now it's to see a winning team and the overall match night experience. But what brings people back? I am not sure it is the latter. I attend in the hope I get to see some old time Devils hockey, and if it happened I don't want to miss it. But how long will I keep spending my hard earned money chasing this .......who knows, and I expect many others feel the same.
Aren’t we just playing the brand of hockey that suits this team? It’s effective. I wouldn’t say it’s boring in my opinion but that’s just my opinion. Winning isn’t boring to me. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see teams intimidated coming to our barn but I’d rather walk away with the points. It’s personal opinion I guess. Yes it frustrates me when we appear to be bullied but surely that physical element isn’t totally missing from our team. When Benti got hit I can’t imagine that it went unnoticed. It was bound to get a reaction. It’s not like Hotham, Louis, Batch (when fit) or Strachan would have turned a blind eye. Perhaps they’re being asked to focus on the game or being held back by Lord. Hotham doesn’t exactly need much encouragement to go with anyone. He’s done it countless times over the years. We’ve all seen that. What I see right now is a team playing to their strengths and capabilities..... and winning.
Personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettdevil1

That's a good post Outsider, and one that you end with your enjoyment of the physicality (among other things). Well if you've been watching recently we don't have that.
We have a relentless forecheck which i admire, but more often than not it's pole checks without being physical. If we threw 10 body checks last night then I would be surprised. (And thats still one every 6 minutes!)
I keep reading that the game of hockey is changing and that's fine, do maybe it is me and I need to give my seat up for someone else.
Outsider, I'm guessing you didn't see the game last night based on your Bumping Bowns comment. Dingle only did it accidentally but there was room for reaction and zero came- that gave the Blaze the green light which started in the very next shift when Pacquette took a run at Reddick- no reaction. Next shift, Vallerand starts taking liberties... so you may think that a goalie bump was incidental, well for me it signalled a big change in momentum and from that point onwards the Blaxe knew they were leaving Cardiff with at least a point.
I wasn't the only person booing Pacquette and shouting for someone to step up, but appreciate that I'm in the minority with this opinion.
It’s an interesting debate..... so would you rather win the league paying the current style or finish (say) 3rd playing the ‘crash, bang” hockey that fulfills your criteria but will also mean we pick up injuries and suspensions .....

Genuinely interested in what you would choose.

ASHIPP

It amazes me that some Devil fans just aren't happy no matter what the team does. They win BUT, they tied BUT, they lost and this is WHY. AYFKM ? The game of hockey has changed and continues to change to a skilled game . Players fault ? Coaches fault ? Not at all. The rules have changed over the last 10 years and it has morphed into a more skillful game . Coaching has changed, technology in hockey has changed and the days of goon hockey is over so get on board with it or stop watching it. Do you want the Devils to retailiate, get a penalty , get scored on and lose a game ? Then you'd say that they need to control themselves. When this team plays at full potential there's not a team in the league i'd rather watch. How many championships does this team have to win before you're satisfied ? Or maybe you wouldn't be because there wasn't a fight . I would think that if the players felt the need to retailiate they would. Just because Bowns get's bumped now and then doesn't mean the other team is running him. Have you ever taken a good hard look at the other end and seen how many times the Devis bump the other team's goalie ? Ever seen Myers bump their goalie ? Haddad ? Faryna ? Hotham ? Anyone who goes to the net has the chance to bump the goalie , it doesn't mean they're running him and there needs to be a punchup. I get that you like to see a good scrap, we all do, but you're going to see less and less fights going forward. It's just the way the game is. Every shift of every game means something and pissing away a championship because you think the need to " get even " makes no sense. Wanting to see fights tells me you know little or nothing about the game . Enjoy this team and the championships they win because they don't grow on trees. Cherish your championship teams while you have them because they don't last and the players you're watching, Martin, Bowns, Haddad, Hotham etc only come around few times in a lifetime. Hockey is a beautiful game, a frustrating game but it's the best game in the world to me, not because of the fights but of the physicality, the science, the passion, the speed , the skill and yes the odd scrap.
Completely agree with Outsider's excellent post. The game is changing...and has had to adapt this season because of injury management. Devils have done a terrific job carefully nuturing injured players and drip feeding them back into the roster at the right time.

Would it really be smart play or appropriate to expect guys like Faryna and Louis to revert to fighting and aggression having just returned to fitness? Lord is spending more time coaching from the bench and Batch is still injured so even less chance of aggression.

If the Devils can grind wins through relentless forecheck, some hits and smart play I would much rather see that than give the refs even more reason to bin players. You can't win games when you are constantly on the Pk.

Rempel16

It’s an interesting debate..... so would you rather win the league paying the current style or finish (say) 3rd playing the ‘crash, bang” hockey that fulfills your criteria but will also mean we pick up injuries and suspensions .....

That's a great question, and to be honest it's one that provokes a lot of thought.
I think it's possible for both, we achieved it in the ISL (different era I appreciate).
Last season we had Bordy terrorising defencemen with big hits and intimidating play, without picking up injuries or suspensions, but even then we let a lot go unchallenged and I guess the results speak for themselves.
I think it's me. My favourite two seasons for entertainment were the first season of the new owners and our record breaking season. Both teams had the right mix of skill, physicality and toughness. Both of these were played on smaller ice and it's not possible to completely replicate those teams in the IAW.
In answer to your question, im greedy and I want it all, but I'm there every week, still giving everything to sippprt my team and I'm super happy that we are winning and in the mix for trophies so I guess I'm still wishing for the two points regardless of how we get them.
I suppose I'm still adapting to this new era.

kettdevil1

That's a great question, and to be honest it's one that provokes a lot of thought.
I think it's possible for both, we achieved it in the ISL (different era I appreciate).
Last season we had Bordy terrorising defencemen with big hits and intimidating play, without picking up injuries or suspensions, but even then we let a lot go unchallenged and I guess the results speak for themselves.
I think it's me. My favourite two seasons for entertainment were the first season of the new owners and our record breaking season. Both teams had the right mix of skill, physicality and toughness. Both of these were played on smaller ice and it's not possible to completely replicate those teams in the IAW.
In answer to your question, im greedy and I want it all, but I'm there every week, still giving everything to sippprt my team and I'm super happy that we are winning and in the mix for trophies so I guess I'm still wishing for the two points regardless of how we get them.
I suppose I'm still adapting to this new era.
Thanks for the answer and I wouldn’t disagree with anything you have written.

This season does feel strange and I wonder if it is a bit ‘after the Lord Mayor’s Show’.... last season was such a special season and took so much out of us all (and so much out of my bank balance!!) that I wonder if this season still feels as though it is a bit of a hangover. Last season’s team (away from home at least where we played on the counter attack), were thrilling to watch, whilst this year, we are playing well but in a far less flashy manner.

Added to this, the fact that the highlight, the CHL, was at the start of the year and I wonder if we are just getting a little jaded by the success (that sounds wrong but hopefully you know what I mean).... as the season rolls down, I imagine that coming back but at the moment, I am enjoying the season, enjoying winning but not yet completely absorbed by it all....

august04

But we've had more injuries this season than I can remember for years, playing a more passive game. There’s an argument that the more physical you play, the less likely you are to pick up injuries as you harden your body for impact as the aggressor, rather than just waiting for it to happen to you. See it in other sports too.
A great start last night with two early powerplay goals (so pleased to see Paris removed from PP duty this past fortnight, as we'e been scoring regularly on it since - the area I sit in have been crying out for weeks for that to happen!). But then we were poor for 2 periods and got hit all over the ice. It was dire stuff from us in the main for 2 periods. We seemed to wake up after Paquette's nonsense went a bit too far and then started hitting back at long last and played with a bit more heart, passion and intensity. I thought the 3rd period was great entertainment, along with OT, shootout etc. Highlighted just how little of that we’ve had this year at IAW unfortunately. I’ve said it before but I’m baffled by the treatment of Louis. I don’t think he’d be playing if he wasn’t fully fit so assume he’s healthy, but he’s had so little ice time this last 2 games and when he’s got on, it’s been mainly on the right wing. What a waste of a talented, physical, high level EIHL defenseman. Especially when you see Paris and Reddick logging so many minutes (not so bothered by the latter as I was, because he gives everything, which I admire and has cut down on the big mistakes that were costing us early on). Louis is a far superior player in my opinion than both. Truly baffling.

Last edited:
I agree with some of your points, you haven’t taken into account the style of hockey played in the EIHL past and present, maybe the Calgary/Canadian/North American version you’re used to is evolving as you say, but the old physical style of hockey is what has made the UK version popular in the UK. We need the physical play, as the alternative just isn’t interesting, for hockey to compete against our national sports, it has to offer something more than an appreciation of a skill that few watching has ever attempted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Earnie

I am not going to get it involved in the hitting/physicality debate. I am happy be be in first place.
I agree with others that the refereeing last night was poor which directly influenced the result of the game. That should have been a regulation time win for Devils. However we did get exciting power play and shootout which upped the heart rate!

Ocko

The new style of hockey isn't popular? We sell out near enough every game.

Of course Coventry will be more physical than us. How else would they be able to compete? They can't do it every game and wont. We get the same moaning about not being as physical every season and have done for as long as I can remember. The game is so technical now, the systems we play may not allow us to be physical against certain teams because of the way we play. It's also difficult to be very physical if you have possession of the puck, we are a high puck possession side so naturally won't be chasing games and being physical like we were under Adams.

I quite enjoy how we play actually.

Foxy

The way the game is governed has changed since ISL days. We are never going to have such physical play as then as it has been stamped out from NHL down.

I really don't mind the skillful play. Its a joy to watch but it is the officiating that spoils the game sometimes.

Last night was a prime example. Pering was so inconsistant and the way he ran the penalty shots was appalling. It was as if he hadnt read the rule book.

If i could have Schmical (sp) every game id be happy

august04

Of course Coventry will be more physical than us. How else would they be able to compete? They can't do it every game and wont. We get the same moaning about not being as physical every season and have done for as long as I can remember. The game is so technical now, the systems we play may not allow us to be physical against certain teams because of the way we play. It's also difficult to be very physical if you have possession of the puck, we are a high puck possession side so naturally won't be chasing games and being physical like we were under Adams.

A technical game doesn’t mean it can’t be physical. The Swedish league is highly technical and surprisingly physical. You can still have one with the other if you choose to. Belfast do, quite nicely too. Obviously Lord chooses not to and at the end of the day the buck stops with him. As long as we're winning, the majority won’t care nor will the casual spectators who always come out of the woodwork when the Devils are winning. Nothing new there either, been that way since we were founded. Personally, if I’m spending over £1000 per year on season tickets, I’d like to do more than “quite enjoy” the way we're playing. By the way, I used to “love” watching us play. I"m still a season ticket holder, will watch and always will as the Devils have been my team for 31 years, but I can’t honestly say that I’ve come away from games entertained too many times this season. But we're top of the league and for many, that’s enough. I get that. Before last year, it probably would have been for me too given the dark days we've been through not so long ago.

Devil94

Exactly, no other team in the league can keep up with us in regards to skill. That's why when they play us they ramp up their physicality to try and put us off our game. Why would we drop down to their level and get too involved with the rough stuff, that's exactly what the opposition want us to do. Winning 10 on the bounce in a league as unpredictable as this just goes to show how well Lord and the team have been balancing the two. Now for me, that is entertainment.