Devils v Blaze - Sun 1 Apr 2018 - Play Off 1/4 F - 2nd leg - Fo 6pm - Chat/Updates

Kevlar68

Great atmosphere and on the edge of your seat game. Power plays let us down tonight but our fight and determination saw us through.

Wagstaff

Well that’s our season done, glad we made a game of it, if only Danny could get his team playing this sort of hockey earlier in the season we’d have been a lot better positioned and not playing the champions.

Congratulations Devils, go on and enjoy the rest of the competition.

ASHIPP

c
Well that’s our season done, glad we made a game of it, if only Danny could get his team playing this sort of hockey earlier in the season we’d have been a lot better positioned and not playing the champions.

Congratulations Devils, go on and enjoy the rest of the competition.
Blaze should be proud of themselves - solid defence for 2 periods, took chances well and Nastiuk was excellent.

At the end of p2, many people probably thought the Devils were close to going out if it continued like that. Our guys had so many chances but just couldn't convert. It was the wakeup call the Devils needed.

Blaze pushed all the way - in the end they looked like they had left everything on the ice. Intense, physical game with moments of drama - one of the best games of hockey played at the IAW this season.

Your away fans are a credit to their Club - supported the team win or lose and certainly forcxed us to chant a bit louder!

osh

A great example of play off hockey tonight. If we thought Blaze were simply going to roll over and let us win they proved just how much they wanted to qualify as well. I didn’t particularly like their tactics, however, their late hits and cheap shots worked for them as it really got under our skin and affected our style of play for 2 periods. At 3-1 down, Blaze were working their socks off and causing us untold problems. We nearly got caught out even when on power plays and better sides would have punished us. We woke up in the third period and deservedly tied it up at 3 apiece. Fair play to Stewart, he made a brave call to pull their net minder with 5 full minutes to go and they nearly scored with a couple of good chances that Bowns saved which made up for his poor attempts for 2 of Blaze’s earlier goals.
A great turn out by Blaze fans who were very vocal and loud which lifted their team no doubt. A sour note was hearing some of our fans booing the English national anthem when sung by Coventry, have some respect folks !

One sour note. Not impressed that they allowed the Blaze fans to take over our bar. Turned up at 4.15 to see the last Todd & Franny Q&A of the season but denied entry as the bar was full. Quite a few Devils fans started singing “We’re supposed to be at home”

Hedd Wyn John

One sour note. Not impressed that they allowed the Blaze fans to take over our bar. Turned up at 4.15 to see the last Todd & Franny Q&A of the season but denied entry as the bar was full. Quite a few Devils fans started singing “We’re supposed to be at home”
I turned up just after 4pm & got in ok. Todd Kelman allowed the Blaze fans early entry. I think he’s working on some sort of deal with other clubs. Bit annoying for Devil fans who couldn’t get in I bet.

jimmy snels

enjoyed the game, lots of talking points and with a large amount of body contact made for a niggly intriguing game. Coventry played very well and their tactics spot on. tried to do what belfast did to us in cc final and i predicted that before the game. We are a bit weak when teams make it a war so i can see why they made it that type of game. if they tried to out skill us it wouldnt happen!

To the idiot sat behind me in block 4 in the black 71 shirt booing the english anthem from start to finish either go watch football instead or learn a bit of decorum. That goes for anyone else who felt it necessary to be a cock.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Booing the Blaze fans singing the National Anthem was shameful. It made us look like a bunch of classless parochial inbreds. Ashamed to hear plenty of booing from blocks 14-16 where we were sitting). Although have to say many of the audience over there seem to be casuals/large groups drinking/probably little understanding of the 'etiquette' at games.

It's embarrassing to think that we are British and that is the reaction to the British National anthem for God's sake. Let them sing and applaud their effort.

They were good enough to allow us to sing the Welsh anthem uninterupted. Our Club and our Team might be the envy of the League.....crowd behaviour like that spoils the game.

Hedd Wyn John

enjoyed the game, lots of talking points and with a large amount of body contact made for a niggly intriguing game. Coventry played very well and their tactics spot on. tried to do what belfast did to us in cc final and i predicted that before the game. We are a bit weak when teams make it a war so i can see why they made it that type of game. if they tried to out skill us it wouldnt happen!

To the idiot sat behind me in block 4 in the black 71 shirt booing the english anthem from start to finish either go watch football instead or learn a bit of decorum. That goes for anyone else who felt it necessary to be a cock.
Yeah I think a few teams have looked closely at the tape from the CC final to pick up pointers on how to play the Devils. Couple of key differences 1) Giants have that extra quality over the blaze, Giants would have punished Devils a lot more in those key moments, 2) Giants relied on refs putting whistles away for the CC final but the whistles were back out on this occasion so Blaze didn’t have the same freedom. 3) Devils were able to get into top gear in the 3rd which never really happened in the CC final.

And yes I totally agree, why can’t fans just be respectful? It’s not much to ask.

Hedd Wyn John

Booing the Blaze fans singing the National Anthem was shameful. It made us look like a bunch of classless parochial inbreds. Ashamed to hear plenty of booing from blocks 14-16 where we were sitting). Although have to say many of the audience over there seem to be casuals/large groups drinking/probably little understanding of the 'etiquette' at games.

It's embarrassing to think that we are British and that is the reaction to the British National anthem for God's sake. Let them sing and applaud their effort.

They were good enough to allow us to sing the Welsh anthem uninterupted. Our Club and our Team might be the envy of the League.....crowd behaviour like that spoils the game.
Fans should respect each others anthems. The English anthem is typically booed by Wales fans at rugby and football games. So I guess that’s where it comes from.

Ocko

Taking over the bar as you put it happens with every away team when theres a big travelling support. Did you expect an announcement from Todd asking all Blaze fans to leave? Should they have left their pints and waited outside?

Blaze fans as paying customers have as much right to be there as Devils fans.

We wasn’t allowed to sing the welsh national anthem up blaze on Friday at all...

They sang there anthem and music came on to which the home fans started singing to it..

We just carried on regardless

Hedd Wyn John

Taking over the bar as you put it happens with every away team when theres a big travelling support. Did you expect an announcement from Todd asking all Blaze fans to leave? Should they have left their pints and waited outside?

Expect that on this on occasion Cardiff Devils management agreed to open the bar early for Blaze fans (from 3pm) but access to Devils fans was restricted until 4:15pm. As a result the bar was full so few Devils fans could get in.

pjj365

Agree with this but:

We normally arrive for Q&A at or before 4pm (on Sunday). To be told we could not do this because of away fans is galling to say the least
Some Devils fans were turned away because the bar was full. This is fine in a way and to be expected but being denied the opportunity to arrive early to avoid this is plain wrong
It is either a public bar or it is not. If public, what right does a licensee have to discriminate against one class of customer for no valid public order/health and safety issue. Except of course for a private party!

As ever I'm sure lessons have been learnt and we will move on

Hedd Wyn John

Agree with this but:

We normally arrive for Q&A at or before 4pm (on Sunday). To be told we could not do this because of away fans is galling to say the least
Some Devils fans were turned away because the bar was full. This is fine in a way and to be expected but being denied the opportunity to arrive early to avoid this is plain wrong
It is either a public bar or it is not. If public, what right does a licensee have to discriminate against one class of customer for no valid public order/health and safety issue. Except of course for a private party!

As ever I'm sure lessons have been learnt and we will move on
I managed to get in shortly after 4pm. Bar was virtually full at this point so only a handful of devils fans were able to get in after.

I totally get the Devils management wanting to be friendly & welcoming to teams like the Blaze but they’ve gotta be careful that it’s not at the expense of home fans.

Milky

Apparently one of the Blaze Sponsors paid for a private bar and paid for the their fans to have food.

Can’t grumble at that and good on them.

Most of our fans that get there early just to get a parking space anyway. The bar takings before and during the Q&A’s are very poor every week so to make a commercial decision to get a load of revenue in when they normally take next to nothing makes sense to me.

Just goes back to the shoddy design of the rink in the first place that we were at capacity.

osh

We wasn’t allowed to sing the welsh national anthem up blaze on Friday at all...

They sang there anthem and music came on to which the home fans started singing to it..

We just carried on regardless
Exactly, Coventry should have allowed time for away fans to sing the Welsh Anthem ( I wasn’t there so don’t know what went on ) however, we are more classy than that, Paul allowed time for Blaze to sing their anthem and quite a few of our fans showed disrespect by booing. If you say they did that to us in Coventry, that’s their problem. We have a good reputation in this league as fans ( especially our fantastic away support ) I was slightly embarrassed by some of our fans last night.