Devils v Blaze - Sat 7:00 - Chat/Updates

Finny

nmase20 said:
J.B said:
Had a tenner on that as well ... down the drain.

Expected the Devils to beat a weakened Blaze at home ;)
what exactly was weakened about it?
Everything. Blaze must have thought all their christmas' had come at once tonight. They did nothing most of the night, had 5 chances and took them all. Too many of our players didn't play with the required level of intensity.

I do blame myself though. I took up Kipper's advice and placed a bet on us to win. Which I never do because betting on my own sides always makes them lose. Although that does mean Kipper is partially to blame.

I did though bet on Hull to beat Belfast at 13/2. Just a shame I only bet 10p.

Kipper

Finny said:
I do blame myself though. I took up Kipper's advice and placed a bet on us to win. Which I never do because betting on my own sides always makes them lose. Although that does mean Kipper is partially to blame.
I accept full responsibility Finny. The odds were good though for a form home team weren't they? The good news was I didn't have a bet on it as I was goal judging :lol: The bad news was my rugby bet went pear shaped :cry:

TheStub

Hard to believe it was the same team from the last weekend. We seemed to dominate for large portions, but couldn't take advantage. We seemed to lack physicality.

Mind you, once again the Blade defence impressed me. We seemed to camp in their zone, but often unable to find a passing lane let alone a shooting lane. We were forced to overhandle, and take poor shots.

We needed to throw some big hits and try and force the Blaze into making mistakes.

Strange match.

Thought we started really well, but didn't get many clear cut chances. To be fair, Blaze have a great defense.

We seemed to fall apart towards the end of each period defensivley. There first goal, we didn't clear our zone when we had plenty of chances to do so.

Can't believe we didn't have Fulgham marked better, he's so dangerous and we gave him far too much time and space to slot home. Hat trick for him.

Blaze weren't giving us anything from the side. We should of simplified our game plan and set up some traffic - we didn't.

Anyway, the home series finishes 3-2 in our favour, and we're leading 2-1 away. Against the top team, that's not bad! We've been on a nice little streak at home, had to end sometime though.

Wannabe2

Well that was very very dissapointing, Two good teams playing poor hockey, except the Devils were the poorer of the two. I am totally confused why we didnt come out banging tonight, as that has payed off for us against them already, and against others at ours. Too many guys didnt turn up last tonight, and again we shot ourself in the foot, a very very good crowd and instead of sending them home thinking my god i have to go there again, we gave people very little to shout about. We are a big tough team and a certain Mr Paul Thompson, must have been chuffed to see us play the way we did, and fall into the trap of playing the game that suits them. Well thats done now, we werent going to win the league, but we needed to keep our home momentum going, and keep fortress Cardiff going, especially with the Giants failing again. Sorry guys dont mind losing, when we have played well but the opposition were better, as then i have had my moneys worth, but last night fell very short of that unfortunately. Would be recompense if we could take 2 points tonight, against a team who are showing 300% committment to a man. Anyway we move on. :?

Now, I'm not the kind of guy who notices lines and I know that PP and PK affect the lines a bit, but there does seem to be a bit of a problem with moving all these lines about. The players look like its the first time they've played with each other half the time.

Also, why does gerad continue to ice non productive players like Towe (who to be fair at least looked like he was trying last night, better than his usual efforts, but just cant finish things) and leave Ben Davies on the bench for the whole game? A couple of games ago Ben had maybe 4 shifts the whole game and scored a goal, but was benched the rest of the time -what is that about?

Also, for those who were braying for Romfo's return did anyone else notice that he was on the ice for the first 3 Coventry goals and serving a penalty for their 4th? Not good enough at all.

puck said:
Now, I'm not the kind of guy who notices lines and I know that PP and PK affect the lines a bit, but there does seem to be a bit of a problem with moving all these lines about. The players look like its the first time they've played with each other half the time.

Also, why does gerad continue to ice non productive players like Towe (who to be fair at least looked like he was trying last night, better than his usual efforts, but just cant finish things) and leave Ben Davies on the bench for the whole game? A couple of games ago Ben had maybe 4 shifts the whole game and scored a goal, but was benched the rest of the time -what is that about?

Also, for those who were braying for Romfo's return did anyone else notice that he was on the ice for the first 3 Coventry goals and serving a penalty for their 4th? Not good enough at all.
I did notice quite a few errors by romfo myself but then again i noticed quite a few errors by a lot of them, if not all.
Finny "everything" is not an answer to how they were weakend, and weakend and poor are not the same thing.

nmase20 said:
Absolutely gutted, what a poor poor performance, found myself bored a lot of the time which NEVER happens to me. They went out there knowing exactly what needed doing but didnt do it, hardly saw any good checks out there tonight, the team just didnt look bothered.
Can't argue with that, one of the most boring home games I've watched all season. Where was the passion, the pride and hits. And please don't get me started about line changes. Blaze break out of their zone for their 4th goal and we only have 4 skaters on the ice!!! absolutely shocking :oops:

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #53
Can't argue with that, one of the most boring home games I've watched all season. Where was the passion, the pride and hits. And please don't get me started about line changes. Blaze break out of their zone for their 4th goal and we only have 4 skaters on the ice!!! absolutely shocking :oops:
You'd think with 2 coaches on the bench that sort of thing wouldn't happen. It's certainly not the first time it's been brought up as an issue, but it's still happening :(

Chris.

puck said:

I agree with the comment about Towe, i know the inferno sponsor him and all that but exactly what has he produced over the last couple of months? He just coasts through games. I've never seen what the big deal is about him, he's not a sniper, playmaker, dangler or grinder (i've never seen a good hit from him in the few that he's thrown, even Ben has nailed a handful of guys in the past). Davies or Hayes provide far more than Towe at the moment and are better players overall in my opinion. I think he needs to be sat for a while, at least if only to give him a kick up the backside! If he doesn't improve, find someone else next season and let him move on.

puck said:

both jamie & ben give 100% i go to a lot of away games and as well as ben scoreing in last weeks 3-2 win against nottingham the sheffield & coventry away games we won 2-1 he also scored

Finny

puck said:
You sure?

I thought it was Jarvis and Symonds on the ice for the first goal?
Second goal was the forwards not doing their job and closing down Weaver.
Can't remember who was alongside Hartwick for the Blaze 3rd.

Finny

People keep mentioning "all these line changes.." - I only noticed one change last night, and IMO it was the right move.

Michel seems to be struggling with his ankle injury again it seems and was having a shocker on the top line. Towe still hasn't adjusted to playing on the wing and was struggling alongside Smith who was having a good.

So G swapped Smith and Towe for the final period, we needed goals and had nothing to lose really. It also meant that Towe was able to go back to being a centre.

Other than that though - what else do people mean?
Are they on about our special lines i.e. PP and PK???

steve

the club puts all this effort into getting the off ice product as good as possible, we were on a huge high this week after getting into a cup final and a few pieces on tely. full house. and all these potential new fans got to see was that! would you come back?

i can't decide if these players are either supid or heartless - they are definitely one of the two. either they don't care, or they do care but their too thick to do anything about it - can't play to a system, can't change their gameplan when things don't go their way. cov had 4 d men! why didn't we go after robinson or lee straight away?!?! mind you, we didn't even try and mess up their d when they came here with pease playing and stewart covering d.

no one new to the game is going to pay £14 to watch a bunch of not particularly skilled players, play not particularly well.

if shannon and matt are serious about filling this place, the team needs to ensure it gives the fans something every week. fight or win, or both - never neither!

edit - ok so i'm a bit annoyed! go easy on me!

DevilDom

For me it has to be a question of coaching and tatics. We lost the game because IMO we were out coached and the blaze got their tatics spot on.

We have beaten the top 3 teams in the league in our last 3 home games by playing in a certain way - i.e. getting in their faces, checking hard and getting the fans involved in the game. Last night in front of a sell out crowd we didn't complete our hits or check hard and it was almost like watching a pre-season warm-up at times.

The Blaze allowed us more of the puck and defended very well, hitting us on the break and waiting for our Defensive to make mistakes and it worked a treat. They didn't get involved in any rough stuff and in doing so helped to quieten the crowd. There finishing was clinical (2 goals from 5 shots in the 1st) and for me they showed without playing that well, exactly why they will win the league.

I think the Devils players did try fairly hard for 2 periods but maybe after Wednesday it was a case of the party after the Lords Mayor Show. By the time they realised what they needed to do to upset the Blaze pattern of play it was too late.

I'm very dissapointed because it was another chance to get back in the title race and (again) we bottled it. However, i'm more dissapointed for the Devils organisation. This was a chance to show a big crowd they we really are team going places and all we succeded in doing is probably showing a lot of new or retunring old fans that when it really matters we are not quite there. It was a really big missed opportunity and I am concerned now with a run of home games against the less attractive teams in the league, how long will be before we are not financially stable enough to play with 10 imports and a spare?

BIG GAME, BIG CROWD, BIG ATMOSPHERE, BIG LET DOWN BY THE TEAM

mazza03

People keep going on about Wednesdays game but we lost that one as well, we won overall but it was another away loss, wasn't it? :(