Devils v Blaze - 16/10 - 7:00pm - CC - Chat/Updates...

it is fair to say our discipline was poor tonight but again G hardly set the tone with a meaningless hugfest as a result of what - a few cross words? Wasn't suthen re what he was trying to achieve at the time!

Seriously were you watching ? G took offence at the way Matzka was hit in the face at Face off and did exactly the right thing . Surely we need teams to know that they can not take get away with these things

agree totally, G was right to go after selmser< I sit at the front of block 6 and watched selmser after G stepped in to take the faceoff, when selmser had the initial go at scott. after the puck dropped selmser went straight after Matzka and landed a push/punch to the back/side of Matzka's head from behind, G saw this and obviously realised he wasn't going to leave Matzka alone and took him into the corner, where they had a few words before going behind the net and fighting.
Well done G

Russky

The initial confrontation of Adams/Selmser happened infront of me and it just seemed to be G letting Selmser know he wasnt going to get away with any 'cheapshots' on our boys! It did degenerate into a hugfest hardly worth both players getting 5 min fighting majors for that! 2 MINS EACH for roughing would be about right!

ASHIPP

EJ_Styles said:
Nothing is going to come of Hicks, the league wont ban him or anything as there are so few qualified (somehow Hicks is qualified) referee in Britain. I think it's well established that he has a personal hatred towards the Devils, for whatever reason I honestly don't know, but near enough every game that he officiates for us he cheats us out of a win. Just wish we could go back to the good old days where you could throw fridges or ovens at people and get away with it, now sadly we'd all do time at Her Majesty's pleasure :(
We all know Hicks is a waste of space and his officiating was exceptionally bad last night, but this comment is a complete exaggeration. :lol: :?

Check out the REAL outcome of Devils home games officiated by Hicks this season so far:

19/9 WIN for Devils
26/9 WIN for Devils
10/10 WIN for Devils
16/10 LOSS for Devils

What are the score lines for those? Is that that Cardiff were playing SO much better than the away team that even if Hicksy had gifted the other team chances, Cardiff still stayed on top of them? Then again, I doubt Hicksy has enough conscience to even consider "I'd better not make it too obvious I'm gifting them, eh!"

Besides, there have been plenty of times in the past that Hicksy has just plain ruined a game from start to finish. I think he has bets down myself....

Gazza272

Clare said:
Besides, there have been plenty of times in the past that Hicksy has just plain ruined a game from start to finish. I think he has bets down myself....

While that comment i believe tongue in cheek, it isnt the most clever comment to make should Mike Hicks read this forum.......

So what if he does? Theres plenty of other things on here that might pish him off more than that! :lol: At the end of the day, he should be impartial to it all, and ignore it, just as many of the players, their families and close friends and members of the Devils organisation are if and when they choose to divulge in the "hell pit of having a go" that is The Inferno :twisted: :lol:

Oh wait.... I'm not sure Hicksy knows what that means. Hang on, I'll help him out, just in case he is here *waves*

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/impartial

ASHIPP

Clare said:
What are the score lines for those?
Clare said:
Is that that Cardiff were playing SO much better than the away team that even if Hicksy had gifted the other team chances, Cardiff still stayed on top of them? Then again, I doubt Hicksy has enough conscience to even consider "I'd better not make it too obvious I'm gifting them, eh!"

19/9 win against Giants score 5-4
26/9 win against Braehead score 5-3

Clare - wouldn't have called any of these 'runaway' games for the Devils. These were all hard-fought well deserved wins for the Devils against 2 very strong teams. If Hicks wanted to 'influence' the course of any of these quite close games, he had plenty of opportunity. :roll:

His officiating leaves so much to be desired, and we are all right to be angry about Saturday night - but let's get our facts right before making sweeping comments, eh?

I wasnt making a sweeping comment. I asked a question - because I wasnt sure of the facts - which you answered. Thank you.

I wasnt really saying one way or the other about Hicks' performance on those particular games - I wasnt there. I was genuinely interested as to what those particular games had panned out like.

Maybe Hicks had got his leg over the night before so he was in a good mood on those occasions? Either way, the "sweeping statement" about Hicksy causing issues and spoiling games in the past still stands.

Why is everyone blaming hicks and not the linesman who made the call?? Seems everyone is quick to blame hicks when things go wrong yet judging by the comments I overhear every week it's clear some people have never played the game and def never reffed! The calls late in the game only came about from a poor call from an inexperienced linesman.

Mrs Hips said:
Why is everyone blaming hicks and not the linesman who made the call?? Seems everyone is quick to blame hicks when things go wrong yet judging by the comments I overhear every week it's clear some people have never played the game and def never reffed! The calls late in the game only came about from a poor call from an inexperienced linesman.
Are you sure your not Mrs Hicks :) thing is hicks didnt have to take his word for it, its at the refs discretion he could have called 2 mins for both finner and smith to keep it fair

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #112
It's not the refs job to keep the game fair though...

If the ref has to make a call based on a linesman saying it's a major, i'm not sure what he can do. He can't call a minor penalty if the lino is saying it was a major, that's not going to lead to anything good...

Chris.

DevilDom

Mrs Hips said:
That may be so, but it doesn't explain all the other crazy calls made through the night and the things missed, like the trip on the Blaze 3rd goal when standing only a few yards away. I would also have thought Mr Hips, sorry I mean Mr Hicks, would have had the sense to query whether the Finnerty slash was retaliation and whether the inexperienced linesman had seen the whole incident or just caught the end of it before calling such a huge game changing / ending penalty.

TheStub

If it had been that one call, then yes the fans would have been upset - but I think everything would have settled down.

It wasn't the first in a long run of bad calls, but raised the bar and after that the rest of the game was plagued with poor decisions. Seems that not only the players were effected by the call - Hicksy took too much to heart and his dubious reffing ability degraded from that point on.

If he had rode the abuse, it would have calmed down.

I stand by not believing him to be fit to ref in this league. He proves game after game that he isn't upto the standard, and his business interests and domicile prejudice him further.

DevilDom

TheStub said:
If it had been that one call, then yes the fans would have been upset - but I think everything would have settled down.

It wasn't the first in a long run of bad calls, but raised the bar and after that the rest of the game was plagued with poor decisions. Seems that not only the players were effected by the call - Hicksy took too much to heart and his dubious reffing ability degraded from that point on.

If he had rode the abuse, it would have calmed down.

I stand by not believing him to be fit to ref in this league. He proves game after game that he isn't upto the standard, and his business interests and domicile prejudice him further.
Can moderators post be deleted? :lol: Joke!

Gareths post was spot on, as paying customers we have the right to see a good game. I remember a ref years ago Marcel Shurkes who told me "I can win or lose a team a game depending on how they deal with me" I have never forgotten that comment if one ref is capable of having an ego that large whats to say others dont have the same mentality.

sniper13 said:
Mrs Hips said:
Are you sure your not Mrs Hicks :) thing is hicks didnt have to take his word for it, its at the refs discretion he could have called 2 mins for both finner and smith to keep it fair
lol defo not Mrs Hicks! Hicks couldnt call 2 mins, if the linesman calls it as a major penalty all he can do is confirm that the linesman is sure of his call and back him. Having played and attempted to ref on occasions i appreciate there will always be mistakes as the pace of the game makes it impossible for the ref to see everything and sometimes even just a different angle can change everything. Hicks does make mistakes as do all refs but in this instance the blame should be directed at a young, inexperienced linesman.

TheStub

Mrs Hips said:
sniper13 said:
Mrs Hips said:
lol defo not Mrs Hicks! Hicks couldnt call 2 mins, if the linesman calls it as a major penalty all he can do is confirm that the linesman is sure of his call and back him. Having played and attempted to ref on occasions i appreciate there will always be mistakes as the pace of the game makes it impossible for the ref to see everything and sometimes even just a different angle can change everything. Hicks does make mistakes as do all refs but in this instance the blame should be directed at a young, inexperienced linesman.
I refer you to my previous post. Had this just been the incident the conversation would have died down. The linesman made the call, fair play - but the linesman didn't make the rest of the shocking calls. What concerns me is Hicks couldn't raise above the derision he received for backing the linesman.

A decent ref would have rode the storm, shook off the effect that sending our captain for an early bath, and got on with the game. It would have calmed down, the atmosphere would have dropped and it would have just got back to another hockey game.

Instead Hicks couldn't let it go, stoked the fire and it fed upon itself. Simples.

Well, let this be a lesson to everyone. Next time Hicksy is reffing a game that is starting to look a liitle dodgy, we all need to put our fingers on our lips, sit down, and ssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

If you behave, you might all get lollies.