Devils v Blaze - 16/10 - 7:00pm - CC - Chat/Updates...

ASHIPP

Clare said:
Maybe Hicks had got his leg over the night before so he was in a good mood on those occasions? Either way, the "sweeping statement" about Hicksy causing issues and spoiling games in the past still stands.
:roll: :roll: Wonder whether you have been to many games - you mention about him 'causing issues' (and I agree with you, he and his linesmen have made crazy/unfair calls in Devils' games before, and his decisions have spoilt enjoyment) but where is the evidence of where he has actually changed the course of that game in favour of the opposition, which is what you seem to imply in one of your previous posts? :?

osh

I think a point that most are missing is that an assumption is being made that because the linesamn who made the major call was 'inexperienced', therefore that call was somehow wrong.
I am of the opinion that neither the lino or Hicks saw the original slash on Finnerty (it happens) however, Hicks didn't see Finnerty's retaliatory 2 handed slash but the so called inexperienced lino did and did his job according to the rules. The lino had to wait for a break in play before reporting this to Hicks, they then spoke for a while, Hicks then had to make a decision, back up his lino or get on with the game, he chose to back his lino and I don't see too much wrong with that. I honestly feel we maybe could have handled a 5 on 4 to a certain extent but once we took the other 2 pens that reduced us to 5 on 3 for so long, we were our own worse enemies. I'm, not defending Hicks, he is not a good ref, but I am defending the lino who I felt did the correct thing.

Ashipp... I've seen plenty of times the result of Hicksy making a bad call against the Devils ending in something positive for the other team. Not necessarily the whole game though.

I've see it the other way too though.

ASHIPP

Clare said:
Ashipp... I've seen plenty of times the result of Hicksy making a bad call against the Devils ending in something positive for the other team. Not necessarily the whole game though.

I've see it the other way too though.
That's true.......and if the Devils had won the game on Saturday, I doubt anyone would be suggesting he 'gifted' the game to them! :roll: Hicks is not the only ref to make decisions during games that may look biased and unfair. And, as so many posters have said on here and other threads, usually the linesman will report something and the ref has to make the decision whether to support him. Sometimes only part of the incident is noticed and they call as they see it. Completely frustrating, but it happens.

Equally important, there is no denying that the Devils' own reaction and performance after Finnerty was ejected, didn't help their game. Had they stayed composed, organised and detached, they might have avoided being on the pk for so long in p2/p3 and kept the game at a draw...or even won it. The guys have been in similar situations last season, and pulled it off by staying calm. :cool:

ASHIPP said:
That's true.......and if the Devils had won the game on Saturday, I doubt anyone would be suggesting he 'gifted' the game to them! :roll:
Too true!!

Hicks is not the only ref to make decisions during games that may look biased and unfair.
Again, very true.

And, as so many posters have said on here and other threads, usually the linesman will report something and the ref has to make the decision whether to support him. Sometimes only part of the incident is noticed and they call as they see it. Completely frustrating, but it happens.
.... very frequently unfortunately.

Equally important, there is no denying that the Devils' own reaction and performance after Finnerty was ejected, didn't help their game. Had they stayed composed, organised and detached, they might have avoided being on the pk for so long in p2/p3 and kept the game at a draw...or even won it. The guys have been in similar situations last season, and pulled it off by staying calm. :cool:
Yep. Same with the crowd. If everyone sat down and shut up, I doubt Hicks would have reacted and got himself riled, like I have seen him get in the past. I appreciate in some ways but cant possibly truly understand the frustration the players must feel when they get unfair calls. Sometimes they play by the rules, sometimes they dont. They know what they are doing, especially the guys who have come across from America. Over there the reffing is of an amazing standard and things are very rarely questioned... because they know exactly what they are calling, and why. They have seen the incident because they generally keep up with the play better. *sigh* All that is required is better training for British refs and they would be a hell of a lot better.