Devils v Blaze - 08/10 @ 19:00 - League - Chat/Updates

KaneDevils

ok, so we've lost 2 home games. But don't forget we've also had some cracking road wins! As far as I see it, there is only one team that have really challenged us, and that was the panthers when they were at IAW.

Coventry took that game last night because a perfectly legit Devils goal was disallowed, otherwise we would all be singing a different song today. We still played better hockey than they did. It was a weird game - neither team really gained great momentum.

I do think that going 0 for 6 on the PP is a bit of an issue... every time we get a PP opportunity now, instead of feeling relieved, I feel nervous.
Let's not forget, Stewart had a good game last night, he's a very good goalie.
I would disagree that we played the better hockey. It's just overall we had much more of the puck.
I don't think we move the puck fast enough or make the wrong choice. It's almost as if certain players look to tee up their bestie before anyone else.

Hicks did miss some obvious calls. When benti took on the stickless d man springs to mind. But overall he did alright. We need to look closer to home though and not blame him. My finger, sorry to say, would point toward the coach and a few underperforming players. I agree with voth 26 in reference to ulmer. Very disappointing. Expected a lot more from him. You should give everything every game not just when you feel like it.

Last edited:
I'm not blaming Hicks for us losing. Most of the calls he made were right, it's just a shame about the ones he missed - and disallowing that goal was wrong.

We did play better hockey, Coventry were lucky. We had more possession, more shots, more chances. Stewart made some very good saves.

But we didn't shoot the puck enough and our PP was abysmal.

Wannabe2

Losing points at home is never good, but my biggest worry with it is when we get a huge crowd we inevitably shoot ourself in the foot, we have done that on numerous occasions in the past and it hurts the club. To see the arena full to the rafters is a sight to behold, and quite rightly so, but not all these punters are hard core Devils fans, entertain and win they come back, don't do that and the fair weather guys will dwindle away unfortunately. We have a squad oozing with talent, hopefully tonight we can address our failings, but the Stars have a good team, so come on lads we know you want to win as much as us lot, win tonight and 3 points from 4 looks a lot better.

RTfarty

If a player initiates any contact with the goalie (in or out of the crease) when a goal is scored, it will be disallowed. There are no 'fair game' rules for goalies out of the crease. Hicks made the right call in my opinion.

If a player initiates any contact with the goalie (in or out of the crease) when a goal is scored, it will be disallowed. There are no 'fair game' rules for goalies out of the crease. Hicks made the right call in my opinion.
In the NHL, the rule is if the attacking player INITIATES the contact, inside or outside of the crease. I'm not sure about the EIHL, but Martin definitely didn't initiate that contact IMO.

ANYWAY - it is what it is. We came away with 1 point. Let's hope we can bag 2 more tonight!!

Last edited:
So on an attack, if a centre man has his back to goal and is back skating and a NM comes out towards him and collides, there will be a FO outside the blue line, or in this case if a goal is scored,it's disallowed ?

So on an attack, if a centre man has his back to goal and is back skating and a NM comes out towards him and collides, there will be a FO outside the blue line, or in this case if a goal is scored,it's disallowed ?
If that was the case and a goal was scored, no. Because the goalie initiated the contact. Which I believe Stewart did here. Who is surprised by that anyway, considering he tries to interfere with every opposing player that passes his net. That's my understanding anyway. I may be wrong!

Kipper

Agree unfortunately. It appeared accidental but them's the rules

KaneDevils

Doesn't the contact have to be deemed intentional for the goal to be disallowed? Otherwise goalies could keep barging into players and you'd get several disallowed goals every game.

It probably was deemed intentional. I was sat behind that goal and knew it would be disallowed straight away. What if it happened up the other end?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

E.D.S.

Did Bordy lose the fight? Looked that way to me. I thought Klotz was superb last night. After doing well with Bordy he then went on to smash Josh and Myers. His confidence grew and grew. Stewart had a fantastic game last night. He blows hot and cold but for me last night he was red hot!
Too many people went missing for us... Batch was poor. Doubt tries hard but isn't converting. Haddad worked his socks off last night. He really earns his money doing the dirty hard work along the boards.
Disappointing performance but onwards and upwards.

He certainly didn't win it, he got clocked in the nose again as soon as they came together and from then on neither one landed a lot, just a lot of Wild West haymakers, I think it did the Coventry bench much more good than the Devils

voth26

But in this case Stewart initiated contact by charging out of his net and hit Martin who didn't have control of the puck, so in effect that's a 2 minute penalty for interference!! So if that's the case the goal should have stood and stewart called for interference

voth26

Did Bordy lose the fight? Looked that way to me. I thought Klotz was superb last night. After doing well with Bordy he then went on to smash Josh and Myers. His confidence grew and grew. Stewart had a fantastic game last night. He blows hot and cold but for me last night he was red hot!
Too many people went missing for us... Batch was poor. Doubt tries hard but isn't converting. Haddad worked his socks off last night. He really earns his money doing the dirty hard work along the boards.
Disappointing performance but onwards and upwards.
For me after the fight klotz was missing in non action, one of two hits other than that nothing

KaneDevils

After landing a jab early on, klotz then, in my opinion, spent the rest of the fight trying not to get hit. I thought the jab was more to the eye than the nose. I liked the respect shown at the end of the game. Good to see.

E.D.S.

Strange how we all see games differently. I genuinely thought Klotz had a good game. He did what he needed to and he did it well. I certainly wouldn't say he went missing in action. He was the catalyst for his team a few times last night not just with Bordy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTfarty

But in this case Stewart initiated contact by charging out of his net and hit Martin who didn't have control of the puck, so in effect that's a 2 minute penalty for interference!! So if that's the case the goal should have stood and stewart called for interference
Completely disagree sorry. Stewart, whilst aggressive in his approach, came out to position himself for the shot. Martin skates in to a mostly stationary Stewart (who has already come out and is in his butterfly stance at this point), thus initiating the contact.

KaneDevils

Strange how we all see games differently. I genuinely thought Klotz had a good game. He did what he needed to and he did it well. I certainly wouldn't say he went missing in action. He was the catalyst for his team a few times last night not just with Bordy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't remember seeing him after the fight. The commentators pretty much said the same.

I think he had 3 shifts in the whole game, 1st one was the fight then 2 others all in the first period, slammed batch with a big check into the boards and that was about it