Devils v Blaze - 08/10 @ 19:00 - League - Chat/Updates

jenks33

Thought we pretty much dominated 2nd and 3rd period, had goal contentiously ruled out. Didn't deserve the point?
Agree with this. We totally dominated the 2nd and 3rd and deserved at least a point. I agreed with the commentators when they said that Stewart had got into our players heads. We were trying to be far too precise with our shooting...on the other hand we possibly deserved to lose the match going 2-0 down after a flat start. Should have been 3-0 if pietrus buried that one on one...I thought batchy really struggled tonight. He looked very short on confidence in his own zone...Obvious statement but doucet badly needs a goal. Can't fault his effort but we can't be carrying players that are here to score goals

jimmy snels

Didn't deserve to win imo tonight. Wont go into to much player bashing but batch and culligan on D were awful. But to me the biggest fault lays with the coach. He HAS to adapt quickly to this tactic against us. And it seems at times we cant even get stuck in. There was a moment where doucet got roughed up in front of the net and another where Bentivolio got shoved head first into the board. If ever there was a need to show a bit of team spirit and get something going it was then. But we just kept doing the same old shit, turn the other cheek. Your meant to be devils not angels!! If you want to keep these big crowds you best realise quickly the brand of hockey the majority of these extra people came to see was one of physical devils brand.
Brine and bordy barely iced which was weird. Lord should have given himself and doucet less shifts not those pair!
Best players for us were louis fornier and assilin.

backrow

I know Josh made one bad play that Culli made a great play on to prevent a scoring opportunity but I really don't think they deserved the player bashing that you say you don't like to do. They were not on for any goals against that I'm aware of.
Perhaps someother faqns have an opinion?

Think that is the worst that I have seen the Devils play in a long time. Our defence gave away so many turn overs and consistently passed infront of our own net. Bordy stuck to his end of the deal and also tried to get the crowd going but everything just went flat... Blaze looked faster, fitter, more organised and had pretty much puck to tape passing. We looked slow, drained, and at times as though someone had snuck into our changing room and put oil on our skates.

Another frustrating loss, all the possession, all the play but at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you don't put the puck in the net.

Annoying thing is we'll probably play hard hitting "Devils hockey" next week as the owners will be in town when we actually needed a bit of it tonight

august04

I'm beginning to think I've been taken in by the hype surrounding this Devils team. We've had a poor Challenge Cup campaign, lost the last two games at home and I'm distinctly unimpressed with some on this team who don't seem prepared to go in the dirty areas, instead of the fancy dan overplaying of the puck that we're seeing game in game out. The Ulmer-Bentivoglio-Doucet line is just not working and needs to be changed pronto. I'd like to see Brine given a go higher up the order and Bordeleau too needs to be played more. We're dominating possession but not looking particularly dangerous. Get the puck on net, with traffic in front. We're making it too easy for these netminders. Saying all that, we deserved a point tonight but we can't afford to lose this kind of game if we want to win the league. Disappointed yet again in front of a full house.

jenks33

Think that is the worst that I have seen the Devils play in a long time. Our defence gave away so many turn overs and consistently passed infront of our own net. Bordy stuck to his end of the deal and also tried to get the crowd going but everything just went flat... Blaze looked faster, fitter, more organised and had pretty much puck to tape passing. We looked slow, drained, and at times as though someone had snuck into our changing room and put oil on our skates.
I agree with your criticism of our defence, we gave the puck away far too often. Batch particularly guilty of this. But I'm not sure your opinion of the blaze is very accurate. They still don't worry me much. They're very hardworking but still far too reliant on Stewart. We won't lose another match against them in our barn this season in my opinion

I agree with your criticism of our defence, we gave the puck away far too often. Batch particularly guilty of this. But I'm not sure your opinion of the blaze is very accurate. They still don't worry me much. They're very hardworking but still far too reliant on Stewart. We won't lose another match against them in our barn this season in my opinion
I am praying to the powers that be that we wont.

voth26

Well I don't think we were at our best tonight especially in the first but the 2nd and 3rd period I think we dominated possession. I don't understand why we just don't shoot!! Hicks for me is a complete idiot whilst we didn't lose because of him he again played a major part in the game first off there was nothing wrong with Devils first goal if the nettie chooses to come 5/6 foot out of his crease tough shit, some of the really bad hits, holding, late cheap shots by the blaze were riddiculas yet nothing called but he called us. Plenty work to be done for sure we have great individual players but now Lordo has to make them into a team. Bordy has to play more minutes so does Brine, ulmer is not doing anything for me at the minute I expected so much more from him and a few others. I think Asselin is awesome

ASHIPP

Blaze implemented the same game plan the Panthers used last week. Some solid defending and excellent netminding. A must-win CC group game will be against the Blaze. I actually don't fancy our chances...they made a breakthrough beating Devils tonight.

So much talent on our team but some things are clearly not working at the mo. In absence of Scott Hotham our d pairings look a bit nervous and pressing for equalising/winning goals they are often caught out of position.

Offensively, a plethora of talent but the Bentivoglio-Ulmer-Doucet needs to find it's mojo after a dry spell of games recently.
Bordy and David Brine offer so much experience to the team.....but are simply just not 'utilised' enough.

The team apparently have been working on special team systems this week. Afraid tonight's pp stats tell a different story.

jimmy snels

What ever happened to dumping your big guy in front of the netminder and shooting the bloody puck? Myres is fantastic at this and im sure bordeleau would be as well.

JT666

Worse than embarrassing, that was pretty humiliating in all honesty. An absolutely brilliant team on paper, versus an improved, but far weaker 'local' rival and we lose in our own barn.

Kevin Noble is a prized dick head, but together with Stewart, he holds this Blaze team together. He seemed to be on the Ice every minute, and as far as I could see, not one of our players flattened him against the boards. Seriously, stick one on Noble, get in Stewart's head, and they are screwed. Unfortunately we tarted around trying to score the perfect goal and failed to score enough.

I support the call for Brine and Bordeleau to get more ice time. Bordy is being under utilised for his ability to screen the net, and the fact he scares the hell out of the opposition. Brine is a true work horse in my eyes and deserves more Ice time. He's an ex NHL'er, let him do his stuff more often.

He gets stick (because he was so damn good in his first season), but kudos to Andrew Hotham, can't fault his effort tonight. Also, Louis is epic. My favourite new signing so far.

Finally, pleasure to see Bordeleau shake hands with Klotz at the end (I would've struggled to shake his hand myself). Steve King, this man has more class in his little finger than Hendrikx. Thanks for bringing him here.

Didn't deserve to win imo tonight. Wont go into to much player bashing but batch and culligan on D were awful. But to me the biggest fault lays with the coach. He HAS to adapt quickly to this tactic against us. And it seems at times we cant even get stuck in. There was a moment where doucet got roughed up in front of the net and another where Bentivolio got shoved head first into the board. If ever there was a need to show a bit of team spirit and get something going it was then. But we just kept doing the same old shit, turn the other cheek. Your meant to be devils not angels!! If you want to keep these big crowds you best realise quickly the brand of hockey the majority of these extra people came to see was one of physical devils brand.
Brine and bordy barely iced which was weird. Lord should have given himself and doucet less shifts not those pair!
Best players for us were louis fornier and assilin.
Agree on the whole with this. While some players have impressed more than others, I'm happy with our team on the whole. For me, coaching is our biggest issue. Not only are we one dimensional and appear unable to adapt our strategy but we're far too nice. This isn't a new problem, it was the same for most of last season. Lord seems to only know one way to play and unfortunately its not the most exciting thing to watch from the stands. More worryingly for me though is that a lot of teams seem to have learned how to play against us so we need to change gears more than ever else we're going to see a lot more losses this season.

Last season, we had only lost 3 games on home ice by the middle of January. We're barely a week in to October and we've already dropped 2 games on home ice. It may be early in the season but we really cant afford to be dropping games like tonight if we want to win anything this season.

There's so much good around this organisation i can understand why some people are reluctant to criticise but i really feel we lack the winning mentality & grittiness required if we want to win championships.

Well that was disappointing.
Another slow start, I thought with all the hype it would be different but unfortunately not. We didn't really get going, had flashes of good spells but that was it. Nothing ever got going. I thought A.Hotham was outstanding, this evedent in the amount of ice time he was given and he very nearly dragged us out of a loss. Surprised not to see any crashbang hockey especially from the lord, myers, haddad line. Not taking anything away from the Blaze, I thought they played a great away game and the amount of shots they blocked made it very hard for our guys. Like him or hate him Noble gave everything for his team and proved how important he is to them.
Was gutting to see Bordy and Brine have their ice time slashed as they showed more effort for the cause than others but hey I'm not the coach.
Chalk this one off and consider ourselves lucky to come out of the game not completely empty handed. Hope we play better tonight and get the 2 points and a bit of of our A game going.

0 for 6 on the PP I think is a telling stat, including the 5 on 3 where we iced 5 forwards. Personally I miss seeing some blue liners who can one time the puck with some omph.

KaneDevils

I know Josh made one bad play that Culli made a great play on to prevent a scoring opportunity but I really don't think they deserved the player bashing that you say you don't like to do. They were not on for any goals against that I'm aware of.
Perhaps someother faqns have an opinion?
Probably the worst game I've seen Josh have.

mazza03

Very disappointing game, why are we afraid to shoot the puck? you miss all the goals you don't shoot. We are never going to get that perfect shot, grrrrrrrr. While Hicks didn't lose us the game he sure helped, how he could miss some of the blaze cheap shots right in front of him then call soft one on us never ceases to amaze me, he needs glasses or better still stay away from our games.

When you have so many good players its hard to keep them happy.
we cant have all these players on the top 2 lines :(

To me it seems we dont have a plan b when teams sit back and counter. abit like when adams was in charge if dump n chase didnt work we was screwed, we still got a point from the game so its better than nothing. :)

ok, so we've lost 2 home games. But don't forget we've also had some cracking road wins! As far as I see it, there is only one team that have really challenged us, and that was the panthers when they were at IAW.

Coventry took that game last night because a perfectly legit Devils goal was disallowed, otherwise we would all be singing a different song today. We still played better hockey than they did. It was a weird game - neither team really gained great momentum.

I do think that going 0 for 6 on the PP is a bit of an issue... every time we get a PP opportunity now, instead of feeling relieved, I feel nervous.