Devils v Blaze - 02/04 @ 13:00 - Playoff SF - Chat/Updates

Re: Devils v Blaze - 02/04 @ 13:00 - Playoff SF - Chat/Updat

Totally shambolic performance. Lord absolutely clueless regarding tactics - just dump and chase. Out worked everywhere. Looked like the team were out on the lash last night.

Hudson totally and utterly not there - couldn't trap a pass, couldn't make a pass and totally useless.

Major changes required for next season.

jayemm

ASHIPP said:
1. The fact that all 3 competitions this season will be won by teams with full time coaches rather than player/coaches...that is food for thought
You raise the question of whether Lordo should be a player/captain or the coach. The playoff game showed a degree of tactical naivety, but it's only his 2nd year.

For sure, player/coach isn't the way forward if you're chasing all competitions right to season's end.

mazza03

jayemm said:
ASHIPP said:
1. The fact that all 3 competitions this season will be won by teams with full time coaches rather than player/coaches...that is food for thought
You raise the question of whether Lordo should be a player/captain or the coach. The playoff game showed a degree of tactical naivety, but it's only his 2nd year.

For sure, player/coach isn't the way forward if you're chasing all competitions right to season's end.
I think that he needs to hang up his skates and concentrate on coaching, so disappointed with our season, we started of so well. :oops:

ASHIPP

jayemm said:
ASHIPP said:

No-one is more passionate about our club than Lordo. It must be very difficult to coach and play. Other player/coaches have lead their teams to sucess when they have gone to the bench (Adams, Neilson). IIRC it is an option Lordo has if he wants to.

Electro

Electro said:
I definitely wouldn't bet on any of the teams.

The gut says that it'll be a Nottingham Devils final, it'll be a war, it'll be an OT win for the Devils.
Turns out the gut feeling was just the shots after too much wine and seafood [emoji494] last night.

terry hunt

If you think it was bad for us imagine how Todd Kelman,Steve King and all our owners must feel.

They gave us 2 extra class imports to help our run in to the end of the season.

Electro

Since Todd came from Belfast and the owners from Canada I'll use the non PR response.

l would imagine the result as a business it wouldn't be great. Year 2 results in show your actually in a worse position than year 1. When on paper you shouldn't be.

Electro

Using an inexperienced coach, who also plays, was always going to take time to get championship results. I'd love to have heard some coaches in this leagues opinion of the Devils ambition, maybe the management are at fault, naively hoped Lordo could cope in that position.

What a crap game we played today the junior devils could have played better.
Not one player wore the devils badge and wanted to play fair play to Franny coming out after 1st period for interview but still not good enough.
Kelman has to make big changes for next season if we are going to win silverwear.
Bring in a fulltime bench coach and let Lord do what's best and play hockey
:DWD

voth26

That wasn't great by any means and whilst I accept Lordo is the coach, I don't think everything can be levied at him. When we were winning a player coach and Lordo was OK now we've lost badly a player coach is crap and so is Lordo!!. Whilst he has overall responsibility and to be fair he has never shirked that what ever the situation. I feel that it's the players who have let Lord and the fans down but Lordo is loyal to his players and will accept all of the responsibility and criticism going. And this could be his downfall, clearly he cares about the Devils and it's fans and it's plain to see how much he wants to win silverware. Big decisions to be made in the off season. With regards to a player coach we had G in situ for 9 yrs or so and we didn't win that much so in context Lord has performed better in 2 yrs than G did in 9 yrs but we accepted!!! Funny how people's opinion and views change with time is it not!!!!!

jayemm

terry hunt said:
If you think it was bad for us imagine how Todd Kelman,Steve King and all our owners must feel.

They gave us 2 extra class imports to help our run in to the end of the season.
In fact, they were 2 class imports on paper, but only Fournier translated the stats into the expected performance.

Steve's already said on Twitter:

Thank you to @devils_redarmy and @Red_Army_Travel for unwavering support. Unacceptable result. Rest assured we will improve next year.

The owners know hockey better than most of us (well, me anyway) but I sometimes question our focus on particular Canadian leagues. At least we know that SK is already on the case.

Tyke Devil

Electro said:
Since Todd came from Belfast and the owners from Canada I'll use the non PR response.

l would imagine the result as a business it wouldn't be great. Year 2 results in show your actually in a worse position than year 1. When on paper you shouldn't be.
Or in Year 1 we over-achieved maybe?

Tough game to watch today but we played poorly and lost a game. That is all.

No way do I think we are in are worse position than last year. If you judge solely on silverware then OK..but that is short-sighted. We won diddly squat for christ knows how long before last year remember. Or maybe you don't.

Clearly our owners want to win Championships and I am certain they will bring in the right people to try and do that. Such small margins in our league. Only 10 teams..you don't play many games compared to most leagues so bad streaks mean much more..even more so as the main title to win is the league.

I'm not getting all morbid about a SF play-off loss. Rediculous competition that is basically a fan weekend jolly and is a bit more fun if your team is on show. Great weekend if you take it for what it is. I'm certain we will win the next game 17-12!

There are a few players that need to take a long hard look at themselves over the last couple of months...but I think Todd and the owners have been doing that anyway. Expect a decent amount of changes.

Still....I have enjoyed the vast majority of this year. We have a new home and quality owners. Those two things alone means I expect great hockey days to come.

ASHIPP

voth26 said:
That wasn't great by any means and whilst I accept Lordo is the coach, I don't think everything can be levied at him. When we were winning a player coach and Lordo was OK now we've lost badly a player coach is crap and so is Lordo!!. Whilst he has overall responsibility and to be fair he has never shirked that what ever the situation. I feel that it's the players who have let Lord and the fans down but Lordo is loyal to his playe
rs and will accept all of the responsibility and criticism going. And this could be his downfall, clearly he cares about the Devils and it's fans and it's plain to see how much he wants to win silverware. Big decisions to be made in the off season. With regards to a player coach we had G in situ for 9 yrs or so and we didn't win that much so in context Lord has performed better in 2 yrs than G did in 9 yrs but we accepted!!! Funny how people's opinion and views change with time is it not!!!!!
You are forgetting the financial climate and stability of the club that G had to deal with over 9 years. The minute he joined a club that had means and gave him full support as a full time coach, he turned the Steelers' team around and brought them success over 18 months.

Andrew and the team need a bit more time to bring more tangible success with a bit more experience and winning/ clinical mentality on the roster.
What has already been achieved over two years is beyond what many clubs and their fans can only dream of.

People are bound to be hurting , we went into February well placed to win a trophy if not more but the team completely lost all momentum and haven't really played well for weeks .

I am sure the owners will be hurting too as they would have wanted a big push at the end of the season to help move season ticket sales especially with an extra 1000+ seats to sell now!

Terrible and unacceptable !!
Bottled it again and we shouldn't even have been there to be honest as I think dundee deserved to go through not is.

Major chances in defence and forward positions next season please!

Ps stop changing the f in lines god sake it's annoying for us fans never mind the players.

KaneDevils

We won diddly squat for christ knows how long before last year remember. Or maybe you don't.
True, but performances like today are unacceptable. What happened to the Devils identity? Giving everything, every shift, every week? Winning a trophy last season isn't relevant. We could of won more this season but seemed to give up with a whimper. If your going down, go down fighting, is it not?

Im not sure what, but something definitely isn't right.

Really shocked by the manner of this result. I knew it would be a very tough game based on the Blaze' form but wasn't expecting that especially the way we battled back to beat the Stars. We've had another very strong year but failed at the final hurdles.

You can point fingers but in my opinion our team chemistry wasn't quite there this year, summed up by the frequent changes in lines and too many big game players not showing up on too regular a basis. My guess is the subject of having a player coach will be looked at in the off season. That's no slur on Lordo as he has worked miracles in the last 2 years and is the heartbeat of this club but with the league improving year on year I think this is too tough a task for somebody.

Away from the Devils, (we're still on an upward curve in my opinion) my main gripe is with the league structures. The playoffs in its current format is nothing but an end of season finale, a token gesture based on economic reasons rather than something credible. That's not sour grapes, I'd say the same thing even if we had won it. If the league title is the be all and end all why have playoffs?? If we want to see a meaningful playoff competition then scrap the challenge cup and have a reduced league season and extend the playoffs. You could use a similar format as in the challenge cup with a group stage pre-qualifier before xmas and then a best of 3 game format (at the very least) for the quarter finals through to the final. No need for a neutral venue, it would be home and away with the 3rd game venue based on seedings. I realise venue ownership/availability will be a big factor

Another point i have to raise is with the Blaze. What the hell have they been doing for the last 6 months or so?? Have they been coasting and saving themselves for the playoff just like last year?? If so if I were a Blaze fan id be asking for a 90% rebate on my season ticket, or in future only bother to go to games from late Feb onwards.

Any ways rant over, time for a break from this great all consuming game and re-charge the batteries for next season....... GO DEVILS!!!!!

pjj365

Bails77 said:
Really shocked by the manner of this result. I knew it would be a very tough game based on the Blaze' form but wasn't expecting that especially the way we battled back to beat the Stars. We've had another very strong year but failed at the final hurdles.

You can point fingers but in my opinion our team chemistry wasn't quite there this year, summed up by the frequent changes in lines and too many big game players not showing up on too regular a basis. My guess is the subject of having a player coach will be looked at in the off season. That's no slur on Lordo as he has worked miracles in the last 2 years and is the heartbeat of this club but with the league improving year on year I think this is too tough a task for somebody.

Away from the Devils, (we're still on an upward curve in my opinion) my main gripe is with the league structures. The playoffs in its current format is nothing but an end of season finale, a token gesture based on economic reasons rather than something credible. That's not sour grapes, I'd say the same thing even if we had won it. If the league title is the be all and end all why have playoffs?? If we want to see a meaningful playoff competition then scrap the challenge cup and have a reduced league season and extend the playoffs. You could use a similar format as in the challenge cup with a group stage pre-qualifier before xmas and then a best of 3 game format (at the very least) for the quarter finals through to the final. No need for a neutral venue, it would be home and away with the 3rd game venue based on seedings. I realise venue ownership/availability will be a big factor

Another point i have to raise is with the Blaze. What the hell have they been doing for the last 6 months or so?? Have they been coasting and saving themselves for the playoff just like last year?? If so if I were a Blaze fan id be asking for a 90% rebate on my season ticket, or in future only bother to go to games from late Feb onwards.

Any ways rant over, time for a break from this great all consuming game and re-charge the batteries for next season....... GO DEVILS!!!!!
Re EIHL and playoffs

I watch Simmsey's periscope for the odd (sometimes very odd) comment and he is of the opinion that the playoff revenue is what keeps EIHL afloat. If true then a review would seem to be in order taking this into account

If that's the case then extend it. Although I can't understand why 1 weekend in the year is the key to financial stability for the EIHL. Like you said "odd comments"

pjj365

Bails77 said:
If that's the case then extend it. Although I can't understand why 1 weekend in the year is the key to financial stability for the EIHL. Like you said "odd comments"
+1