DEVILS TO RETIRE NUMBER 10

Happy about this. Not taking anything away from this announcement but the Devils website says:

"Stone’s number 10 will become only the 6th jersey ever to be retired by the club, joining Shannon Hope (number 35), Steve Moria (number 19), John Lawless (number 9), Doug McEwen (number 7) and Brian Dickson (number 14)"

I hope this is just a typo and they haven't forgotten about number 26 being retired as well.

Ocko

We'll have no room left on the rafters at this rate!

Congratulations to Stoney. A testament to his unwavering commitment.

Jean

Great news for 10 but what about the legend that was 26? Not mentioned and still have not had a proper dedication ceremony. Either an error or someone needs to tell Todd.

drainage

shoes_off said:
Happy about this. Not taking anything away from this announcement but the Devils website says:

"Stone’s number 10 will become only the 6th jersey ever to be retired by the club, joining Shannon Hope (number 35), Steve Moria (number 19), John Lawless (number 9), Doug McEwen (number 7) and Brian Dickson (number 14)"

I hope this is just a typo and they haven't forgotten about number 26 being retired as well.
Am guessing this is due to it being a fact that 10 has a date to be retired whereas 26 is not yet confirmed?

James

Administrator
26 hasn't been retired yet. Wasn't the intention to do so with the opening of the new rink. We as a club may have a fair few retired shirts already but that isn't a reason not to retire a shirt for someone as deserving as Stoney

DevilDom

shoes_off said:
Remember that announcement was made at a time when what was coming out of the club was quite often BS or had a hidden agenda behind it.

Anyhow, I think this is very deserving for Jason Stone, 24 seasons at one professional club is an amazing achievement.

Sheincar

James said:
26 hasn't been retired yet. Wasn't the intention to do so with the opening of the new rink. We as a club may have a fair few retired shirts already but that isn't a reason not to retire a shirt for someone as deserving as Stoney
That's what I'd understood as well & it makes sense to retire Stoney's number this season & Voth's next season.

d20

Happy for Stoney and well deserved.

If and when we are going to do any others I think the cooper brothers should be retired,these boys did plenty for our club and were there when we won the big things the first time along with hope,lawless,mcewen and moira so if any others deserve it its them.

Finny

Sorry, but there is no way you could retire the Cooper brothers'. That would be what the Hall of Fame would be for.

Stoney on the other hand fully deserves his shirt retirement.

Ocko

I would say once Voth's is retired that should be it for a while. We would have retired 7, 9, 10, 14, 19, 26, and 35. Which is a massive amount for the length of time the club has existed. I don't think the Cooper brothers would make the cut, hall of fame yes shirt retirement no.

jimmy snels

I would say only people of outstanding contribution of a minimum of ten years service. The rest should be hall of fame. I know people loved vother much like me, but it was a bit of a bizarre one to retire his jersey before stoney anyhow! !