Devils to Define the Year

Diafol

bluedevil said:
Should the team go down the route of having Frank, Voth ad G look to drop the gloves every game?

It won't win us many games, but if we don't have a sparkplug player to excite the fans would a guaranteed scrap bring more punters in?

Personally I'm not sure, but something has to change and it probably won't involve a new signing.

Hey it worked for the Charlestown Chiefs !

Do you reckon G should go on the radio tomorrow and put a bounty on Lepine's head ? :lol:

Paul Sullivan

phil PLT said:
Koop11 said:
'This is the toughest financial climate that we have ever experienced in our 25 year history, and we have to work extremely hard to compete with our rivals who have better facilities, more opportunity and greater chance for revenue.

Really!!! Perhaps someone should tell Ragan what the very first season was like in the BBT. No Home games for months as there was no ice, which meant there was no income apart from season ticket money already taken. Yet we still had to play our away games which incurred coach hire expenses and the players had to train at Bristol Ice Rink which again incurred hire expenses. Even when we eventually managed to get Home ice the crowds weren’t great as the games came thick and fast and lots of people couldn’t afford to go to two games a week.

A lot of people are aware of some more difficult seasons for the club, but I take that comment to mean the financial climate of the country, not the club.

enforcer24 said:
I have to say i have never been so bored watching the Cardiff Devils play as i have done so far this season. I have been going since 1989 and i am used to watching teams give it their all and play an entertaining game. This season has been far from that in my eyes. Its just dull hockey and not entertaining at all. Shame really. No wonder crowds are down!!!
+1

The team are boring boring boring...I'm bored most match nights and to be honest meeting up with friends and the banter is probably the main reason I'm going to games right now.

There are very few players (the way they are playing this year) that have made me care about this team. I care about the club, but not the team. Whatever I'm watching at the tent doesn't resemble what I regard as hockey and is lacking most of the qualities that made me love the game in the first place.

For mine, the first port of call for blame should be the players for serving up snooze-fest after snooze-fest.

Unfortunately I'm in the same position as Rempel and haven't contemplated inviting people (other than for reduced ticket games) as I'd feel like I was letting my mates down and leaving them out of pocket. :(

Rhythm said:
phil PLT said:
Koop11 said:
'This is the toughest financial climate that we have ever experienced in our 25 year history, and we have to work extremely hard to compete with our rivals who have better facilities, more opportunity and greater chance for revenue.

Really!!! Perhaps someone should tell Ragan what the very first season was like in the BBT. No Home games for months as there was no ice, which meant there was no income apart from season ticket money already taken. Yet we still had to play our away games which incurred coach hire expenses and the players had to train at Bristol Ice Rink which again incurred hire expenses. Even when we eventually managed to get Home ice the crowds weren’t great as the games came thick and fast and lots of people couldn’t afford to go to two games a week.

A lot of people are aware of some more difficult seasons for the club, but I take that comment to mean the financial climate of the country, not the club.

You see it your way and I'll see it mine ;)

Paul Sullivan

phil PLT said:
You see it your way and I'll see it mine ;)
Well as I have seen that comment from PR in print and heard it a few times also in the context I mentioned, I thought I would say so.

Your context is all your own there fella ;)

I know this may sound bad, but looking at it can we say we are focusing on challenge cup and playoffs, can't they just spice up the league matches? Obviously we want to win I'm not doubting that but maybe few more fights or hits going about the place? Voths last season I think he should go on a rampage, I do want us to be successfull but also want a exciting game, fights, hits etc

Third season, first post on a forum [gulp]!

Are games really that dull this year? In my experience league games tend to be slow before Christmas and pick up afterwards when playoff spots are foremost in people's minds. I remember the first game I attended last season as it was after watching the All-Ireland gaelic football final, 19th Sept 2010. We played Belfast, and it was dull as ditchwater. Perhaps this was just in comparison to the football match that preceded it, but we all know what was to come.

The loss of attendees is very concerning, but the regional rugby teams are also experiencing the same thing. Look at even the national team - loads of tickets for the game against Australia on Saturday and for the Six Nations next spring. Usually those tickets don't even make it to general sale!

My own attendance this season has been far from exemplary, but I still enjoy it when I can make it. We still have a team that can beat any other on its day, but crowds don't seem as into it. That's our fault.

To drop to the EPL as postulated is counter-productive too; that's admitting we're second-rate. No casual fans would come to see that - just look at videos of EPL games. All of our rivals are in the higher league where we're established. I'd rather support the ENL Devils and sacrifice the EIHL team altogether than compromise like that.

DevilDom

The tickets available for the Austraila game and Scotland game in the six nations are all at the higher price range (i.e. £50-£72). A definite sign of the state of people's bank balances at the moment.

I would suspect that the majority of fans lost by the Devils this year are the casual walk up fans who don't want to pay more than last season to watch a lower quality product.

Sell the tickets at a lower price and people will come! This could be an opportunity for the Devils to steal fans from Rugby and football with cheap ticket prices. Personally I would have tickets in block 15 at a reduced price for every game. Rather than lose 50% to groupon if things are that bad just slash the prices across the board for every game to get people in. £10 for adults and £5 for kids to every game or even £8 and £3. If all the money is going to the Devils then overall we'll be better off.

Excuse me using a new user name, I can't remember the old one! I'm a long time supporter who hasn't been to games for a few seasons, but I still keep an eye on the club via the forum, MNL and so on.

There are two main reasons I haven't been to games for a while - cost and the rink. If the rink was at least decent, the cost element might not be such a factor, but there is no way I will pay £16 to sit in that hole when money is tight. And that is the overriding factor, fans do not get good value for money - the games are OK, but everything about the facility is shocking, from the ice right up to the roof, and everything in between. I know I'm stating the obvious, but until the obvious solution is in place then I don't think things will improve; unless the ticket prices miraculously drop to under a tenner!

As horrible as it may be, perhaps the solution would be to mothball the EIHL team until the new rink is in place. At least the club won't be losing money habd over fist and would have a better chance of survival until the rink gets built. If that was to happen, would it affect the delivery of the new rink?

DevilDom said:
Sell the tickets at a lower price and people will come! This could be an opportunity for the Devils to steal fans from Rugby and football with cheap ticket prices.
Dead right. I'm also an Ospreys fan in my spare time so I know about paying a lot to watch a team underperform. 6000 in a 20,000 seat, freezing concrete open stadium at £25 a pop? Compared to that shower up the Liberty, the Devils are the greatest show on earth. As you point out, the higher priced tickets are the ones still on sale so people will take a bargain if its offered to them.

Hairsprays audiences are down too (may also be to do with the Swansea Cities Soccer Club trying to punch above their weight), but Cardiff Bay offers a roof, video replays, added warmth, cheaper beer, shorter queues and nicer fans. We need to market better to families. Devils at your local school giving free child tickets maybe? They probably do this already, mind...

I have only been to 2 games this year due to the cost of tickets; £16 per each adult last time i checked. We'd be paying £32 before adding on the cost of travelling to the rink and match night goodies.
It's a shame as i really enjoyed last season and even considered becoming a 1st time season ticket holder. But with the increased costs (probably due to the economy, not to mention the forgetable summer incidents) it just isn't possible for a few out of area fans to pay for the tickets and travel. It's a shame as the club could really do with more fans filling the BBT.