Devils sign

Temme

Thread starter #1
First apologies for the misleading title :twisted:

With IAW yet to be 100% completed, wouldn't it be cool if next to the IAW logo that faces the main road there was a Devils sign?

I'm thinking something like "Home of The Cardiff Devils". Or maybe even just a simple Devils logo.

What do you guys think?

pjj365

Temme said:

With IAW yet to be 100% completed, wouldn't it be cool if next to the IAW logo that faces the main road there was a Devils sign?

I'm thinking something like "Home of The Cardiff Devils". Or maybe even just a simple Devils logo.

What do you guys think?
This is a debate which has taken place elsewhere on here but IAW do not seem to want to be linked too strongly to the Devils seeming to believe that too strong a branding would detract from its objective of being more than just a home for hockey

I think this is short sighted but I am no marketing expert. It is an ice arena and should I believe feature its mixed purpose in this context somehow - both internally (to stop it being so bland) and externally

Driving into the Bay the current sign which you can see tells the casual visitor nothing. A "home of the Devils" sign might generate interest and attract visitors to explore further thus generating foot fall. So I would support this idea

august04

You would think it an absolute necessity and good for both parties but I can't see it happening with the current IAW set up. I'd go as far as giant player pics as Cardiff City have, which would really attract attention. Maybe if we ever bought the rink but that seems to have gone quiet.

Temme

Thread starter #4
pjj365 said:
Temme said:

What do you guys think?
This is a debate which has taken place elsewhere on here but IAW do not seem to want to be linked too strongly to the Devils seeming to believe that too strong a branding would detract from its objective of being more than just a home for hockey

I think this is short sighted but I am no marketing expert. It is an ice arena and should I believe feature its mixed purpose in this context somehow - both internally (to stop it being so bland) and externally

Driving into the Bay the current sign which you can see tells the casual visitor nothing. A "home of the Devils" sign might generate interest and attract visitors to explore further thus generating foot fall. So I would support this idea
I agree with much of this, its foolish of them to think that because it doesn't say anything about ice it's not an ice rink.

And fans of ...say boxing... aren't going to come away thinking "I'm so glad the boxing we've just watched wasn't in an ice rink!"

A sign of this will add an element of class to the whole thing in my opinion!

pjj365

august04 said:
You would think it an absolute necessity and good for both parties but I can't see it happening with the current IAW set up. I'd go as far as giant player pics as Cardiff City have, which would really attract attention. Maybe if we ever bought the rink but that seems to have gone quiet.
Whilst I would agree I do understand that it needs to be marketed as more than a home of hockey - so maybe not

Conversely, it currently does nothing on the outside to advertise that it is what it is. Unless you know - what does IAW tell you?

At the moment they only have the Devils brand to build on so maybe they should grasp the nettle (planning consent and finances permitting). They can add figure skating and curling (!!!) when some form of public recognition (if only local) follows

In the age old words of the powerless but comitted bystander - "something needs to be done"

Mooney#16

The Devils can have what they want if they pay the going rates for that sort of advertising. Its an investment / return issue.

pjj365

Forget any commenys I made about visitors driving into the Bay from M4

Just come down that way and with the trees in leaf you cannot see even the IAW sign

Not just for the Devils but for IAW generally someone needs to grab the marketing to ensure it is a success

Temme

Thread starter #8
pjj365 said:
Forget any commenys I made about visitors driving into the Bay from M4

Just come down that way and with the trees in leaf you cannot see even the IAW sign

Not just for the Devils but for IAW generally someone needs to grab the marketing to ensure it is a success
Just touching on your last post, I agree simply writing "IAW" on the side of the building is poor.

There's no need to be down with the kids and make it sound cool, if I was visiting the bay I wouldn't know about any ice rink by sight that's for sure!

wildthing74

Agree with this 100% I don't understand IAW reluctance to accept that Devils are the main reason a lot of people even visit their facility and without them there would be untold losses of revenue.

So many friends who don't follow hockey have commented the new building is not obviously and ice rink as nothing suggests such or even states it's the home of the Devils.IAW could mean anything and just because we use it and know it's wrong to assume others will.

BostonBart22

august04 said:
think i can remember at the wnir there was a massive banner outside on the wall by the main enterance with a pic of dave matsos, think it also stated the next fixture to take place.

Wannabe2

The WNIR had a fair few huge hockey banners on the exterior of the building, but then the team owner was also the rink operator, plus it did say the WALES NATIONAL ICE RINK on the outside for everyone to see. It goes without saying that IAW doesn't mean a lot to the majority of people, so hopefully that will be addressed for the benefit of everyone.

pjj365

Electro said:
You catch on quick. Can you tell them that, maybe, and this took a lot of thought, write it on the bloody building.
Not forgetting it needs to be where it can be seen from the road not facing Toys R Us

Electro

Maybe on their way to IKEA for the trophy cabinet, a quick stop off at B&Q for some red paint would help. It's bad enough having grey skies in June, could do without grey buildings. Whoever agreed to that colour.

BostonBart22

Electro said:
Maybe on their way to IKEA for the trophy cabinet, a quick stop off at B&Q for some red paint would help. It's bad enough having grey skies in June, could do without grey buildings. Whoever agreed to that colour.
OMG another victor meldrew :DWD

Electro

Old Victor designed the place.

I'd have had flashing red lights, a Devils logo illuminating the night sky, fireworks and rock music playing on the opening game.

The queues would have been well entertained.

The whole of South West of Britain would have known.

What we got I'm sure Victor would have approved.

You really have missed the point.

Wannabe2 said:
I don't believe it, I simply don't believe it.
You can please all of the fans some of the time

You can please some of the fans all of the time

But you'll never please all of the fans all of the time.

Such is the reality of trying to be positive on the Inferno. :lol: :lol: