Devils pre season training

Koop11

I certainly hope so. There were times last season, certainly away from home, when some of our players looked like they were running out of gas towards the end of games. For some that was down to attitude but I think for others that was about them not being in the best of shape.

We’re always going to be battling against other clubs for fitness as we play half of our season games on our smaller ice pad. Whilst that gives us a huge physical advantage at home, it can, I would imagine, be tougher on the players’ legs when skating hard in the 3rd period at the NIC for example. For that reason we need to ensure we maintain a high level of fitness all year around.

You only have to look at Thommo’s Coventry. They are by far the most successful club at this level and much of that has been down to hard work. Coventry have always iced a competitive team but not always on paper been the favourites, yet they have won so much. I truly believe much of that is down to their work rate and their fitness that allows them to play for 70 minutes if needed.

are any of the team here yet. Looking around for some info. Will all the players be in before the weekend. Heard a rumour that flights have only been booked a few days ago.

ASHIPP

On my way home, went via the rink on Monday pm to collect tickets for Giants game. Didn't look like there was anything happening except a public skate session! No Devils cars about. Doesn't mean a thing though, they were probably doing something else - maybe some were still to fly in? :?

osh

Clare said:
Finners and Voth havent flown in yet according to Facebook statuses :lol:

Have to say that this sort of thing always bothers me. I can't understand why players can't be in the city, training with their future team mates, getting to know each other on and off the ice at least 2 weeks before the first game. I know that players will have done their own thing fitness wise whilst they were at home, but it will be interesting to see who is 'off the pace' (if any !) when the first game faces off. I wonder if its only Finnerty and Voth who aren't here yet, haven't seen any photos of new players etc yet.

James

Administrator
Voth had some issues with his visa I believe as his marital status has changed. I guess that could delay by a day or 2.

Kipper

osh said:
Clare said:

Have to say that this sort of thing always bothers me. I can't understand why players can't be in the city, training with their future team mates, getting to know each other on and off the ice at least 2 weeks before the first game. I know that players will have done their own thing fitness wise whilst they were at home, but it will be interesting to see who is 'off the pace' (if any !) when the first game faces off. I wonder if its only Finnerty and Voth who aren't here yet, haven't seen any photos of new players etc yet.
Cos they'd have to be paid and housed for those two weeks. :lol: I think we're doing well this year compared to previous seasons, all bar maybe one player should be here by the weekend giving the team a full week together before the first league game

Ger-Devils

Kipper said:
osh said:
Clare said:

Cos they'd have to be paid and housed for those two weeks. :lol: I think we're doing well this year compared to previous seasons, all bar maybe one player should be here by the weekend giving the team a full week together before the first league game
Who's that 1 player Kipp?

ASHIPP

Kipper said:
It's a great shame really- the longer time the have together, the more prepared they are - but it all comes down to cost in the end. Giants and Blaze imports have arrived sooner, obviously to prepare for the charity shield, but how much sooner? From the other forums, it looks like other teams are in the same position as the Devils - imports trickling in this week.
Agree with Osh - hopefully the imports have continued working hard on their personal fitness away from the club these past few weeks. :twisted: There is no doubt the British-based Devils have been busy with that!

Ger-Devils

ASHIPP said:
Kipper said:
It's a great shame really- the longer time the have together, the more prepared they are - but it all comes down to cost in the end. Giants and Blaze imports have arrived sooner, obviously to prepare for the charity shield, but how much sooner? From the other forums, it looks like other teams are in the same position as the Devils - imports trickling in this week.
Agree with Osh - hopefully the imports have continued working hard on their personal fitness away from the club these past few weeks. :twisted: There is no doubt the British-based Devils have been busy with that!
Speaking to Tylor the other week he was saying he was training a lot harder ready for this year ti kick on etc.

I would assume most are training as they want to impress as the new guys.

The blaze have trained 3times accoring to Thompsons twitter.