Devils Off Season Update

mweller

I suppose we wanted a statement of some sort and they have given one of some sort. But doesn't really say anything, and indeed the reading between the lines may be more worrying.

"Paul Ragan is the owner of the Cardiff Devils and would also like to confirm his position within the club, however due to other business interests, will be taking a more distant stance from the day to day activities but retaining his chairman’s role"

Well, I suppose that he's distant is a good thing and maybe a sign that he's wanting away now. But does it leave us in a zombie state? No-one can take decisions but PR isn't interested.

'Ongoing talks between Cardiff Council, Greenbank, Ice Arena Wales and the Cardiff Devils continue to take place to develop the process of transition from the BBT to our new home for the 2015-16 Season and all involved at the Cardiff Devils are excited for the long awaited first fixture to take place at Ice Arena Wales. As with any change of this proportion there have been, and will continue to be challenges to overcome for all parties, however this is to be expected with such a significant move.'

I interpret this as 'it's far from settled and the council and co are worried about what a cluster f**k the Devils are becoming'.

'Paul Ragan has confirmed that any interest would be considered but that any such decision would only be considered if it was to the benefit of the club long term.'

Maybe a call to others to put a bid in?

Finny

As I said in the other thread, it is starting to sound like Ragan has had enough and is moving his time and staff to other things. It would be interesting to know officially how much he wants for 'the club' as the valuation in the rumours circulating are ridiculous.

The comment regarding the new arena is also the first time they've admitted that they won't automatically be moving in like they have suggested in the past.

Koop11

This official update suggests to me that Regan has had any enough and confirming that he is ready to sell up for the right price.

If people want him gone and want to own an alleged debt ridden ice hockey club then they need to put their money where their mouth is.

Wannabe2

Think the novelty with him has worn off now, certainly hope so, it's time for this club to dust itself down and move on to pastures new. It's reached an all time low, and now should be the time to start climbing out of the mire that idiots have created. Let's get our club back to some kind of sanity and start the rebuilding process it so desperately needs.

Temme

From my naïve perspective, I'm seriously glad they've put this press release out.

A relief that we'll have a team for next year, and a relief that the club saw sense and put a press release out.

I'm looking forward to the next ~80 days, signings will have to come in thick and fast. Assuming we're having 5 D, 10 Forward and 2 netties- we still have 15 people left to sign (having signed 2 already...)

That's 1 signing every 5 or so days!

Wannabe2

Temme said:
From my naïve perspective, I'm seriously glad they've put this press release out.

A relief that we'll have a team for next year, and a relief that the club saw sense and put a press release out.

I'm looking forward to the next ~80 days, signings will have to come in thick and fast. Assuming we're having 5 D, 10 Forward and 2 netties- we still have 15 people left to sign (having signed 2 already...)

That's 1 signing every 5 or so days!
Those 2signings may be 1, cant see Kurka here.

DevilDom

Ragan is obviously taking a step back as he has tarnished both his and the Devils reputation with his lies, disregard for the fans and continual cock ups - that is good news to me.

The bad news is that if he is no longer there on an ego trip how much interest will he actually show in making the club a success? I see another long season ahead with the focus on cost and the Devils trying to tread water whilst every other club pushes on.

DEVILS OFF SEASON UPDATE
Posted on 4 June 2014

The Smart Solutions Cardiff Devils would like to take this opportunity to provide a club update regarding off season activity and future plans for the Club.

Recruitment of the 2014-15 Roster is well underway and Club Head Coach David Whistle is actively putting together the foundation of the team. Dave Whistle’s excellent reputation of one of the top recruiters has not come from making any impulse signings and Dave has previously said that the recruitment this season will be a later process than that of previous years due to his own style of recruitment. Dave is well underway with his process and has already identified and approached many of his desired Roster and negotiations for these players is ongoing as we speak. The Management of the Cardiff Devils fully support Dave Whistle in his recruitment and are in communication daily with Coach Whistle and will continue to assist with further additional resources throughout the off season. We will notify fans of any signings or recruitment developments as soon as they happen.

The off-ice team has undergone a structural change with Jamie Elson joining the team from the Devils Community Foundation to take on the role of Office Manager to oversee the administrative side of the club and will also work closely with Dave Whistle to assist with movements of players and any other off ice matters to assist with the team. Kathryn Johnson has now left the office of the Cardiff Devils to assist with further developments to one of Paul Ragan’s other business’s, however Kathryn will still play a key part in the operation of the Cardiff Devils when required.

The DCF will continue to develop through a committee set up, giving further authority to a collective group of voluntary people as agreed in a recent positive meeting of all parties involved with the Devils Community Foundation. An AGM for the Devils Community Foundation is being scheduled and all parents / members of the DCF will have the ability to vote for the committee members of the DCF. We will notify all members of the date of this AGM when confirmed.

Paul Ragan is the owner of the Cardiff Devils and would also like to confirm his position within the club, however due to other business interests, will be taking a more distant stance from the day to day activities but retaining his chairman’s role. Paul would like to clarify that contrast to rumours, no formal offer to purchase the Cardiff Devils has been received over the past 12 months, but a few interested parties have made contact.

Similar to many businesses, the Cardiff Devils will often attract interest from other parties, and Paul Ragan has confirmed that any interest would be considered but that any such decision would only be considered if it was to the benefit of the club long term.

Ongoing talks between Cardiff Council, Greenbank, Ice Arena Wales and the Cardiff Devils continue to take place to develop the process of transition from the BBT to our new home for the 2015-16 Season and all involved at the Cardiff Devils are excited for the long awaited first fixture to take place at Ice Arena Wales. As with any change of this proportion there have been, and will continue to be challenges to overcome for all parties, however this is to be expected with such a significant move.

There have been many rumours circulating of the clubs future plans to withdraw from the Elite League. The Cardiff Devils would like to clarify that we are an Elite League Club and have no desire or intention to change this now or in the foreseeable future!

The back office team of the Cardiff Devils (Jamie Elson, Francine Harris and Kris Agland) have been working around the clock to find additional resources to build awareness of the Cardiff Devils for the upcoming season as well as develop and maintain new and ongoing sponsors and corporate partners of the Cardiff Devils. The aim of the back office staff at this time of the season is simple, do all that can be done to support Dave Whistle in his ability to recruit the best team possible for the 2014-15 Season and ensure the awareness and excitement around the Cardiff Devils will be as high as possible as we lead into the countdown for the new season.

The future is a very exciting time for the Cardiff Devils and throughout the off season you will see new ideas being implemented and a marketing strategy to develop the awareness of the Cardiff Devils being actioned.

All of the management of the Cardiff Devils would like to thank the fans for their ongoing support and we are excited to enter our final year at the BBT and we look forward to you all being a part of this historic season in the proud history of the Cardiff Devils Ice Hockey Club.

LET’S GO DEVILS!

ASHIPP

The club will let us know about signing news 'as and when they happen'.

So far no additional signings, only departures. Can only assume:

1. Whistles targeted players are not interested

2. He's only just received a revised budget..where has this revenue come from? Certainly not from additional ST sales.

3. He hasn't identified or approached players yet.

He has a good reputation for recruiting.....a great announcement v soon will give fans some reassurances.

I don't get Whistles attitude to signing late in the off season, surely its better to sign attractive players before they go elsewhere, I doubt many clubs would tell people "Yeah no problem Mr Crosby we'll wait to see if the Devils offer you an attractive contract, we'll hang around for you". :DWD

So we are going to have the poor pick of what is left, then the opening games we'll get to find out how good the team plays together, hopefully they can.

Genius.

Now Ragan is distancing himself from the club, it would be great if a manager was in place to run the business, another indication that there is little money or point in recruiting extra staff add this to the attitude that everything has a price and what we are left with is not such an attractive season, glad I'm not taking a punt with my cash, I could be wrong, I see little evidence to change my mind.

The cynic in me is starting to think Ragan has failed to achieve the success the IAW needed to launch the new rink and now since the club is in such a s88t state Ragan is trying to force the hand of Green Bank, maybe a large chunk of IAW income in the initial opening phase was reliant on a successful Devils team and a large fan attendance to help showcase the new facility, since last yr someone seemed almost obsessed with getting silver in the cupboard, that pressure I believe was the catalyst to some diabolical decision making. This has resulted in what we have today and unless Whitsle can find a great team, I don't believe Ragan thinks that is at all possible, due to the budget he has given, then Ragan is probably hoping that an offer for him to f88k off is the likely outcome mid 2015 season.

If this scenario is likely, if I was Green Bank, I'd be tempted to not offer Ragan free ice or any ice and start a new team, from scratch and leave the Devils name for the history books and Ragan up s88t creek with out a paddle or pot to p88 in. :lol:

DevilDom said:
............ I see another long season ahead with the focus on cost and the Devils trying to tread water whilst every other club pushes on.
If you think there is a single EIHL club in operation next season that does not have a significant 'focus on cost' then tell us which one!

Wannabe2

schulersagoodun said:
DevilDom said:
............ I see another long season ahead with the focus on cost and the Devils trying to tread water whilst every other club pushes on.
If you think there is a single EIHL club in operation next season that does not have a significant 'focus on cost' then tell us which one!
Having a focus on costs is one thing, crapping on people is another.

schulersagoodun said:
The target of non-stop, savagely hostile criticism, instigated by a few individuals.
Hardly a 'novelty' I would have thought!
Since the support for him is so deafening. :lol:

I believe it is more than a few individuals, the criticism is rightly justified by his actions, some of which have been monumentally foolish, I wouldn't go as far as to say people have publicly been hostile, although I'm sure several individuals who have financially experienced his stupidity would probably have a few hostile expletives.

Finny said:
........ It would be interesting to know officially how much he wants for 'the club' as the valuation in the rumours circulating are ridiculous.........
Ah, the 'rumours', the hearsay, the tittle-tattle. What valuation rumours?
'Circulating'?....circulating where , amongst whom. No, don't tell me....there's no need!

schulersagoodun said:
Finny said:
........ It would be interesting to know officially how much he wants for 'the club' as the valuation in the rumours circulating are ridiculous.........
Ah, the 'rumours', the hearsay, the tittle-tattle. What valuation rumours?
'Circulating'?....circulating where , amongst whom. No, don't tell me....there's no need!
Back in the days of our problems with Bob Phillips we had a meeting at Spiros. Someone at the meeting asked Bob how much he wanted for the club. He replied that he did not discuss it in public and to come and see him and make an offer. If someone wants to know how much he wants "officially" then go and see him and make him an offer.