Devils hockey?

Thread starter #1
I've waited a little while before actually posting this, but I'm increasingly leaving every game thinking I've wasted the best part of £20. I've always been a fan of Andrew Lord, but I'm now wondering if he even knows what devils hockey is all about? What we as fans expect from OUR team. I'm sick of being a nearly team because we have all the tools to be THE team.

Ohh and Lordo NEVER seems to have a plan B

I know you're not allowed to ever criticise on here without some jumped up fans flaming you for it but let's face it the wins that we've ground out have been papering over the cracks. YES we are top of the league and YES we are winning, but am I being entertained and getting my moneys worth every time I pay for a ticket? NO

For a team with so many big tough bodies we don't half love playing non contact. There have been so many occasions this year where physical teams have bullied us, and teams we should be bullying and throwing off their game have been left alone to do their thing. You then pay triple figures for a 4th line fighter who doesn't fight, barely play him and carry on playing like a bunch of pussies. Great business. Just imagine the insane top line player you could get in on his wages - the type who would change games.

There also seems to be a bit of a jobs for the boys thing going on because you can't honestly say Morrissette's performances of late are deserving of 1st line/PP/Ice time. Also we all know that there's multiple players who aren't delivering what's expected of them but what do we do? play them every week and act like nothing is bothering us. I think it's time to get tough because a couple of underperforming players is the difference between winning the league and coming 2nd. Remember what 2 weeks notice did to Sylvain Deschatelets?

This team promised so much at the start of the season, but I'm yet to see them perform to the heights I thought they could.

RTfarty

I disagree entirely. What I see is 3 bad results in the last few weeks and some very entitled fans who believe we should be walking our way through what is the strongest league we have seen in years.

It's funny you say that you're yet to see this team perform to the heights you expected, when 2 weeks ago I witnessed one of the greatest games of British hockey I've seen for years.

august04

I disagree entirely. What I see is 3 bad results in the last few weeks and some very entitled fans who believe we should be walking our way through what is the strongest league we have seen in years.

It's funny you say that you're yet to see this team perform to the heights you expected, when 2 weeks ago I witnessed one of the greatest games of British hockey I've seen for years.
That was a great game, you're right - but definitely not the norm this season. And it was in response to an 8-0 drubbing at home the night before, after which I'm sure the players would have been read the riot act. I think many would agree that while we've been mainly winning, the performances haven't been great - especially when you see the odd game where the team play unbelievably well, which shows their potential. For whatever reason, we rarely see the best of them and many games at home this season have been fairly drab affairs, I'm sorry to say.

Thread starter #4
In fairness the Sheffield game delivered. That is how we should play. I've rarely seen us play like that all year and I will agree with you that it was one of the best games I've witnessed in a long time. I'm not saying we should be walking the league, I've highlighted that we're top of the league and winning and I'm under no illusions as to how much the league has improved. It's more frustration with the lack of physical play when it is needed and the ability to adapt and change it up when things aren't going our way. That and I think that the way we've won quite a few games now has hardly been convincing. This team is capable of destroying anyone - but I don't think anyone could argue when I say that we have a few passengers. It's infuriating seeing them play like they did in that Sheffield game because I've witnessed exactly how they can play. That game was worth my £18 - a lot of others haven't quite offered the same entertainment value for my money.

pjj365

There are two teams here

The one which battles and scraps with high skill and speed and wins from being a goal down or when they should not win

Then there is the one which played last night - amongst other games

That is why I hesitate to criticise individuals. My views change from game to game

The lack of team consistency shown is though a cause for concern

I get the impression that "Devil's Hockey" isn't a style of play, but rather about winning. This phrase only seems to show up when the team loses. I think people expect 25 goal, 50 point seasons out of at least half a dozen players. D men that a minus stat doesn't exist and an enforcer battering someone in every week.

Wannabe2

I get the impression that "Devil's Hockey" isn't a style of play, but rather about winning. This phrase only seems to show up when the team loses. I think people expect 25 goal, 50 point seasons out of at least half a dozen players. D men that a minus stat doesn't exist and an enforcer battering someone in every week.
I don't think people expect that one little bit, I think people expect to watch a team, that give their all and show a passion to fans that fans show to them. Play
with heart and soul to show they care. I don't think stats come into it, show you have the balls and want to be here, or move on. 75/80 % of fans can handle losing if we leave everything out on the ice, and get beat by a better team, but when performances come over half hearted that sucks. A bad day at the office is one thing, not turning up and swinging the lead is another. Lads that was poor, very poor, if you care at all then show it, it's only you guys that can turn this around, the paying fans are doing their bit, try doing yours.

jimmy snels

Ok i get this thread so my take on it. The first lord year as our coach we definitely played with a physical edge, much like our coach played the year before. Top of the league in fights i believe and hitting A LOT. We didn't win the league but i was entertained for the vast majority of games. That was until it came to the tail end of the year when we completely changed our hitting game and physicality to zero and effectively bottled the league. I still however enjoyed and got my money's worth. Last year we were far less physical and imo we lacked an edge all season. I found this less attractive to watch and especially frustrating in defeat. Salters in particular came in for heavy criticism and our most physical player hendrikx was regularly dropped tail end of the year. This season has continued in this way and I've heard litrally hundreds of comments regarding how unattractive it is to watch at times. We have the biggest dog in the league (bordy) yet play within our selves. Its compounded and made more annoying in that i watched us change up to a devils brand of hockey against sheffield after a terrible defeat the night before and witnessed and incredibly entertaining hard hitting style that had the crowd engaged and on the edge of their seats!!!!!
Personally, What i wouldn't give to trade jesse mychan, derek Campbell and a tylor michel for ulmer brine and Bentivoglio. Not that i dont think those are not good players. It's that they dont score as much as we thought and aren't entertainment at other times. I pay my money for characters and to get excited. Winning games with no physical play at all to me is not ideal but im still relatively happy as we won. But in lame defeat i go home frustrated, bored and questioning was the effort of leaving my mrs and daughter at home by themselves or rushing from work was really worth it. That to me is a problem.

I look forward to being told im totally wrong and everything is fine.

I would say our current style of play is also affecting the atmosphere in the rink too, lack of intensity in the Devils play is causing quiet crowds last night for example it felt like it was only the last 2 minutes any noise was made because the rest of the game was so dull everyone was just watching without being drawn in.

It's great that we're top and winning most games but for me personally I go home from games and can barely remember anything that happened and don't feel all that excited. I believe the same was said about the Matsos era Steelers team, they won league titles and playoffs but were dull as dishwater to watch (I may have that wrong but I'm sure I've heard it before)

Like I said it's great that we're top and competing for everything but it's not making for edge of the seat hockey considering the resources we have, and that doesn't mean that people want penalties and bans because you can play physical (even on a big ice, we've seen it happen this season) without penalties, last night we should have been scraping storms players off the ice because because they were physically exhausted from us running 4 lines and 100mph all night

ASHIPP

Any co-incidence our form on the road is much stronger this season? Less nerves and pressure than in front of the home crowd.

At times recently, simple and effective basics played ruthlessly and heart and soul have been overtaken in favour of complicated fancy moves.

At times you almost feel the Guys are trying too hard to implement something. It's leading to frustration and lack of confidence.

What would happen if some of them were allowed to play their natural game?

Last edited:

Rob Batch

I've waited a little while before actually posting this, but I'm increasingly leaving every game thinking I've wasted the best part of £20. I've always been a fan of Andrew Lord, but I'm now wondering if he even knows what devils hockey is all about? What we as fans expect from OUR team. I'm sick of being a nearly team because we have all the tools to be THE team.

Ohh and Lordo NEVER seems to have a plan B

I know you're not allowed to ever criticise on here without some jumped up fans flaming you for it but let's face it the wins that we've ground out have been papering over the cracks. YES we are top of the league and YES we are winning, but am I being entertained and getting my moneys worth every time I pay for a ticket? NO

For a team with so many big tough bodies we don't half love playing non contact. There have been so many occasions this year where physical teams have bullied us, and teams we should be bullying and throwing off their game have been left alone to do their thing. You then pay triple figures for a 4th line fighter who doesn't fight, barely play him and carry on playing like a bunch of pussies. Great business. Just imagine the insane top line player you could get in on his wages - the type who would change games.

There also seems to be a bit of a jobs for the boys thing going on because you can't honestly say Morrissette's performances of late are deserving of 1st line/PP/Ice time. Also we all know that there's multiple players who aren't delivering what's expected of them but what do we do? play them every week and act like nothing is bothering us. I think it's time to get tough because a couple of underperforming players is the difference between winning the league and coming 2nd. Remember what 2 weeks notice did to Sylvain Deschatelets?

This team promised so much at the start of the season, but I'm yet to see them perform to the heights I thought they could.
A well written critique. The 'jobs for the boys' bit is dubious, but generally you make some valid points.

Totally understand where a lot of these posts are coming from.

Hockey this season and much of last season has been dull on far too many occasions. It's definitely not the 'Devils hockey' i've known and loved for many years.
We may well be winning games & top of the league but i still regularly leave the rink feeling frustrated and bored. Been saying it for a while now - I want to be entertained by the on ice action - Not period break games and promotions (these should be a bonus). I know i'm far from alone in feeling this way. I'm sorry to say it but i really struggle to encourage my non hockey friends to come to games recently as i dont want them to spend their money and come away bored.

There's so much good surrounding the club at the moment from the ownership to the new rink to our current league position that i can understand why some are reluctant to complain but i find it so frustrating that it's all being let down by the on ice product.
Please somebody bring the fun back!

DevilDom

I too have left many games this season feeling a little frustrated and less than entertained, however I have tried to rationalise this and my thoughts are :

1. Firstly 'Devils Hockey' has had to change since the move to IAW. If we played the same crash bang style we had played in the tent we would have lost a lot more games than we have and i doubt it would work anyway given the extra space.

2. I think Lordo has sacrificed some of the excitement / physicality for the sake of a win at all costs mentality. This means giving away less penalties and less injuries to players and is probably down to the pressure he is under to win trophies. Its no longer a case that as long as we compete fans will be happy.

3. The style of play at home is obviously influenced by the way the away team sets up to play against us. We are no longer plucky underdogs, we are genuine contenders and therefore the vast majority of teams play a very conservative road game against us looking to hit on the counter attack. It's often difficult to breakdown and leads to our D sometimes over committing to try and force things.

It's a very difficult balance to strike. Would people be more happy with an exciting 5-4 or 6-5 loss, with lots of penalties and /or fights over a 2-1 or 3-2 win with very few incidents?

I don't know. I think the fan base is split on this with many wanting to get back to winning trophies on a regular basis and as long as we win it doesn't matter. Whilst many others miss the dramas & excitement of previous seasons, albeit in often in losing situations.

Personally I'm torn but keep thinking Devils have played within themselves for many games so far this season to keep plenty in the tank for later in the year and avoid the burnout we saw in the last couple of years. Only time will tell whether this is the right approach.

As we have seen in some fantastic games against the Steelers, this team is capable of so much. I'm optimistic that in the run in we will see more of this and will hopefully be rewarded with another trophy.

jimmy snels

Thing is against sheffield after a drubbing and no doubt a riot act read by Todd we did play devils hockey at the IAW. For me its mentality. The size of the rink may reduce the number of chances to hit an opposition player but as bordy and piggot have shown if you finish all your opportunities to hit they soon add up!! Batch's reaction to that little slash from desbiens against sheff would not have been to drop gloves the previous evening as proven all season until that point. Bordy offered Fitzgerald again would not have happened previously. In an interview todd alluded to his unhappiness at the style of play questioning why hotham was leading the team in fights. Clearly its either mentality or poor understanding of what we like and are used to seeing as devils fans. The size of the rink doesn't and shouldn't change the intention imho.

Thread starter #16
A well written critique. The 'jobs for the boys' bit is dubious, but generally you make some valid points.
I was in the spur of the moment and maybe went a bit OT with that comment but it did come out of an element of what I feel is justified frustration ...but I suppose to explain it more it seems to be the case that Lord is going off previous form/reputation/personal things when deciding who gets what. Morrissette has been underperforming for a while now and I think it's only fair that someone else get's a shot at some more PP time or whatever in his place, at the very least it may spur him on to fight for it. You should have to earn everything you get. Likewise, there have been a lot of underperforming players who have never been a healthy scratch. I just think a few players need a kick up the backside that's all because it feels like they're not earning their spots. In the same breath, a lot of players could learn a lot from Luke Piggott - he may not be the most skilled player in the world but for me gives everything in his tank plus more and plays with an edge, he hits everything and is always hustling all with such a positive attitude despite not getting much ice time.

RE: Devils Hockey
- I define it as fast, free flowing and physical hockey, a style that no team should underestimate and the opposition would always know they'd be held accountable and would be in for a rough night when they come to our house, if they wanted the 2 points from us then they would have to really work hard for them. All of the above and entertaining is what I think has always epitomised our style of play. I understand the ice is bigger and what not, but as Jimmy has said, we saw them play devils hockey against the steelers so for me there really is no excuse. Minus the Sheffield game I haven't witnessed "Devils hockey" for quite a while.

Ocko

But doesn't every team claim that brand of hockey? I've heard every fanbase talk about Steelers hockey, Blaze hockey, Giants hockey etc etc. Same in football, you hear about how Liverpool play, the United way and so on. In truth it just means you've had a successful period that people associate themselves with. To claim it is a brand is a fallacy fans love to remember.

It's not Devils hockey, it's just hockey. Whatever team you play for you are expected to play physical, block shots and work hard.

But doesn't every team claim that brand of hockey? I've heard every fanbase talk about Steelers hockey, Blaze hockey, Giants hockey etc etc. Same in football, you hear about how Liverpool play, the United way and so on. In truth it just means you've had a successful period that people associate themselves with. To claim it is a brand is a fallacy fans love to remember.

It's not Devils hockey, it's just hockey. Whatever team you play for you are expected to play physical, block shots and work hard.
Spot on..........the style of hockey is completely relative to the amount of trophies won. "Devils Hockey" has won exactly what recently? Maybe a new approach is required?

Last edited:

jimmy snels

We're not remembering success though. Before the new ownership we last won a trophy in 2006? id guess half our fan base had never seen a trophy held aloft but they had seen hard work and entertainment.