Devils confirm support of Junior Hockey

Thread starter #1
http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/devil ... or-hockey/

Earlier this week, Devils Managing Director Todd Kelman met with parents and the committee of the current Junior Ice Hockey Club (known as the DCF) to outline the plans for supporting the development of the club going forward.

Kelman confirmed that he has gone through the finances of the DCF set up and is satisfied that the current executive committee is running the club in a manner worth supporting. Kelman outlined that he wants the Cardiff Devils to have a connection with the amateur ice hockey in Cardiff.

Kelman explained:

“We want our organisation and our players to have a connection with the amateur club and we want them to be able to get on the ice with the kids, along with the current coaches.

“I did not offer our support initially because I needed time to understand the structure and to scrutinize the income and expenditure of the club.

“The current executive committee led by their chairman Rob Shanahan is doing a great job and ensuring bills for ice time are paid on time and that the focus of the club is making it a fun, safe, friendly environment for the kids.

“I wouldn’t be offering our support or getting my guys involved in anything that we didn’t believe was being run properly or going in the right direction.”

Kelman confirmed that Devils players will be going on the ice with different age groups throughout the season and will be continuing to work with the Junior Ice Hockey Club’s committee to further the relationship.

“We want kids to want to be Devils and we want them to look up to our players as role models. We have a great group of guys, a group I am confident want to get involved with the amateur ice hockey club here in Cardiff. Hopefully offering our support is the first step to growing the numbers of participants in the club.”

Koop11

Good to see links made between the juniors and the Devils senior team and I hope for a healthy partnership from here on after. A part of me is surprised Kelman and co wanted to support the junior system so soon after the well publicised problems over the summer. The juniors for whatever reason have been a contention for the club in the past. As the Devils will part own the operation of the new rink I’m guessing a deal that is good for all is being discussed/agreed.

I don’t pretend to know much about the juniors/DCF as I’m not involved in anyway but the message that stuck me recently was the confusion as to whether the Devils ENL are a stand alone semi professional team or whether they are regarded as a development team for potential professionals feeding into EPL and event Elite League teams. If you can have it both ways then great but maybe the blurred lines have had some impact on the financial stability in recent years.

Hopefully with new ownership at the Devils, new folk leading the current junior system and a new rink on the horizon this will mean a new start all round with old problems being left at the door.

I think this is excellent news for both parties (Devils and Junior Club)

Well done to those volunteers for putting systems and processes in place to turn the DCF ship around.

Hopefully now those people that chose to distance themselves from the DCF during summer will now recognise that if the Club they support are prepared to support the next generation of Devils, they can appreciate that the new committee have well and truly turned a corner in the history of junior hockey in Cardiff, and are moving forward in the right direction.

As I heard one of the junior coaches say a couple of days ago that I think I quite apt - "You can't change history, you can only learn from it"

Well Done and thank you Mr Kelman.

Jon

That's great news for all concerned and for securing the future of our home grown talent.

Nice job Todd and The Devils,junior Devils et al.

Koop11 said:
Good to see links made between the juniors and the Devils senior team and I hope for a healthy partnership from here on after. A part of me is surprised Kelman and co wanted to support the junior system so soon after the well publicised problems over the summer. The juniors for whatever reason have been a contention for the club in the past. As the Devils will part own the operation of the new rink I’m guessing a deal that is good for all is being discussed/agreed.

I don’t pretend to know much about the juniors/DCF as I’m not involved in anyway but the message that stuck me recently was the confusion as to whether the Devils ENL are a stand alone semi professional team or whether they are regarded as a development team for potential professionals feeding into EPL and event Elite League teams. If you can have it both ways then great but maybe the blurred lines have had some impact on the financial stability in recent years.

Hopefully with new ownership at the Devils, new folk leading the current junior system and a new rink on the horizon this will mean a new start all round with old problems being left at the door.
Sorry Koop11 ref the above quote, so every one is clear and there is no misunderstanding. The Devils do not have any ownership of the operation in the new arena.

chris hartrey said:
Sorry Koop11 ref the above quote, so every one is clear and there is no misunderstanding. The Devils do not have any ownership of the operation in the new arena.
Chris is correct, at the event in Rearden Smith Theatre, Kelman confirmed that Ice Arena Wales who run the arena own a small share in the Devils. Not the other way around.

Congratulations to Rob Shanahan, Nigel Davies and the rest of the committee who have gained the confidence of Todd Kelman in a relatively short time from very difficult circumstances at the outset for the new DCF set-up. Junior hockey is now in a much stronger and a better place than it was at the start of the summer.

Skate_It_Off!!! said:
Congratulations to Rob Shanahan, Nigel Davies and the rest of the committee who have gained the confidence of Todd Kelman in a relatively short time from very difficult circumstances at the outset for the new DCF set-up. Junior hockey is now in a much stronger and a better place than it was at the start of the summer.
Also a massive thank you to the Secretary, Kathrine Johnson, who has also worked tirelessly to transform the DCF from a shambles to a club everybody can be positive about. Now the DCF is being run with a clear transparency and everything can be accounted for, unlike the previous 6 years. Well done to the committee :D

d20

Can anyone let me know junior training times and days,as my 2 boys are 8 (nearly 9) and 4 (nearly 5) are interested in playing,so was just wondering on availablity in spaces etc if anyone knows ,please let me know.

Hi d20
The U10's train every Monday and Tuesday 18:15 - 19:15.
Bring your boys along and the manager will try and find some kit for them to give it a go, i think you get 3 free sessions and then you have to register them or you can try the learn to play program for £10 each per session.

d20

rogue123 said:
Hi d20
The U10's train every Monday and Tuesday 18:15 - 19:15.
Bring your boys along and the manager will try and find some kit for them to give it a go, i think you get 3 free sessions and then you have to register them or you can try the learn to play program for £10 each per session.
thanks.

Koop11

chris hartrey said:
Koop11 said:

Thank you for the clarity Chris and apologies for any confusion caused.