Devils and coach part ways

MA18

I don’t think people do want a parade , if everything all good why didn’t Todd thank him in the program last night, we even had a send off for dean smith the ref last night, can’t imagine we thought we’ll sign a coach for the regular season and then if we got an injured player, he can take over for the playoffs
Clearly some kind of falling out between Thursday & Friday this week for either party to put us in this position. Can’t see Todd parading him on the ice a few hours after that.

Mazzoak

While I don’t expect we'll ever know the real reason behind this, I think Todd Kelman owes it to the fans to do some sort of interview this week, explaining a little bit more about this decision and why it was felt that our head coach and director of hockey operations should go 2 weeks before the play offs start.
Why, it‘ll never give much information, that’s not a dig at Todd or the club, it’s just that there is always two sides to what is obviously a less than amicable parting and neither will say it was their fault.

E.D.S.

Still ambivalent over who we have. Important thing for me is how the management navigate through this uncertainty for both players and owners. Players wont know if they have a contract for next season so will be putting irons in the fire now and looking for a plan b (or even a plan A)… their heads will be turned. Could argue that individual goals then surpass team goals with so much uncertainty over their future.
Owners/coaching staff wont know if players will want to return either.
We’re entering a difficult period but there’s still so much to play for and the fans deserve full commitment.

Hedd Wyn John

There are no league rules regarding salaries etc. just a gentleman’s agreement.
Interpretations of those agreements then very much depend upon the gentlemen (cough) doing the interpretation!

Let’s be honest the EIHL is always a three horse race, finishing 3rd isn’t a great achievement unless you’re the Nottingham Panthers!
"Gentleman's agreement" sums up the league. This kind of amateurism is holding the sport back.

ASHIPP

Still ambivalent over who we have. Important thing for me is how the management navigate through this uncertainty for both players and owners. Players wont know if they have a contract for next season so will be putting irons in the fire now and looking for a plan b (or even a plan A)… their heads will be turned. Could argue that individual goals then surpass team goals with so much uncertainty over their future.
Owners/coaching staff wont know if players will want to return either.
We’re entering a difficult period but there’s still so much to play for and the fans deserve full commitment.
There are players on our current team who have already been through far more challenging times.(under previous Devils ownership) and are fiercely loyal to our Club. We don't need to worry about our fantastic British players.

Both Dixon and Louis have been here long enough to know how well run the Club is, how players (by and large) are cared for, how committed our ownership and management group are to improving the profile of our Club and League....and that sometimes there will be challenges.

Every player at this time of year will be planning his future. Todd , in the match programme last night, already alluded to changes on the roster coming before next season, and why players leave. It will be no surprise some will go. From what we are told, Jarrod was responsible for attracting and signing many of the current import players new to the Devils.

Todd and Franny have done a stellar job in the past with player recruitment. Don't see anything different next season...they will definitely know what is required to improve and progress the Team.

Last edited:

Diafol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/61182164

"It sucks being in a position when you have to make those decisions with people that you really like and respect," Kelman said.

"Jarrod Skalde is a really good person and he's a good coach and he did a good job for us.

"I think I've been doing this long enough, but I think the fans need to trust me and trust my decisions in certain aspects of the business.

"I just felt that moving forward, it just wasn't working and it was my choice. I stand by that decision, I really do.

"If experience has shown me anything, if you decide that you're not going to work with someone going forward, why work another day with them?

"If I don't think that we're going to work well together, going forward, I'm not going to work another day with you."

moggy#9

"It sucks being in a position when you have to make those decisions with people that you really like and respect," Kelman said.

"Jarrod Skalde is a really good person and he's a good coach and he did a good job for us.

"I think I've been doing this long enough, but I think the fans need to trust me and trust my decisions in certain aspects of the business.

"I just felt that moving forward, it just wasn't working and it was my choice. I stand by that decision, I really do.

"If experience has shown me anything, if you decide that you're not going to work with someone going forward, why work another day with them?

"If I don't think that we're going to work well together, going forward, I'm not going to work another day with you."
Wow.

E.D.S.

Love it.

jenks33

Do’u know what, I fully agree with him. I just don’t think Skalde was the right fit and I don’t think TK, Franny, Steve etc were convinced by him as soon as the ball started rolling. Just my opinion tho, I clearly get why people think he deserved more time.

Last edited:

moggy#9

It's nice that Todd is being so frank about this. I'm curious, though I don't expect to be told in detail, how things broke down. Particularly so given that a big part of the recruitment process was supposedly to make sure that such conflicts didn't arise. I wonder what, with the benefit of hindsight, they'll do differently in recruiting the next coach. Will it be a question of advertising, or will they try to head hunt someone?

jenks33

It's nice that Todd is being so frank about this. I'm curious, though I don't expect to be told in detail, how things broke down. Particularly so given that a big part of the recruitment process was supposedly to make sure that such conflicts didn't arise. I wonder what, with the benefit of hindsight, they'll do differently in recruiting the next coach. Will it be a question of advertising, or will they try to head hunt someone?
I think they’ve got somebody in mind. If they are advertising again and going through a lengthy interview process I hope they’re a bit quieter about it this time! I felt there was too much talk last time. A bit too much showing off

Mazzoak

Bit of an odd statement, you like someone, you respect them as a coach, but can’t work with them, so sack them in a brutal way. So l guess we won’t know the other side of the story unless Skalde one day makes a statement, which l doubt. I’m not sure how much Todd is capable of letting people do their job without him being “involved” as seen in Todd storming into the changing rooms on a few occasions. I’m not sure how you find a coach who is willing to work with such a hands on GM. I’m even more convinced Dupont will be the coach next yr, we’ll see.

Devil94

I'm still sad that he left, but obviously I can only form an opinion on what I see on the ice.

Todd mentioned in the interview when he was announced that he's basically recruiting a new best friend as well as a coach, as he will be spending more time with this person than anyone else. He got on very well with Lord and that obviously worked. Maybe it was a clash of personalities this time? Who knows.

But I think after reading that it's likely the new coach will be someone who Todd already knows personally, and so the big worldwide search and extensive interview process won't be needed. Just a hunch that someone will be announced pretty soon after play offs.