Devils 10-11 Sponsor

Ger-Devils

Finny said:
Geraint was talking about the TV Media - not the South Wales Echo. The SW Echo isn't sold in Swansea hence the lack of coverage of them.
Finny, you know me to well and we've never met! Haha

Yeah I was posting regards TV exposure. Sport Wales should dedicate a 30 minute programme just to the Devils a few times through the year not just if they get to a final of the cup!

It will help when the local authority get more involved and publicise it more and more people take note. It's a big task to increase the crowds but it's all going in the right direction at the moment.

The club do need to venture more up to the Valleys though to grab a huge catchment area of juniors.

A few years ago there was just me and a friend from Ponty going, now there's 10 mates if not more who live by me making the trip down and bought season tickets for this year

Aaahh sorry G! Thought you were on about the paper.

In agreement with your point about coverage up the valleys. Things in Cardiff seem to stay well within the city walls. The Devils as an organisation need to realise that whilst most of their fan base are from/live in Cardiff, they also have a large proportion of supporters from all across S. Wales. I know a fair few people who travel from Swansea way, thats 45 min to an hours travelling. The fans are there and are willing to travel.. they should be rewarded with slightly easier to get hold of media coverage. Ditto with the valleys. Again, that must be 30 min travel?

Wales is different in this respect to other teams. Nottingham tend to have fans from the Nottingham area. People perhaps travel 30 min at most. Same with Sheff and Hull (just noting ones Im familiar with more than anything). Only people from the cities themselves go watch the teams play. The Devils hockey team have a larger catchment area and its not just the people who live in the city who go watch them.

Same goes I should imagine for Belfast actually (similar to Cardiff I mean) in that the fans are more willing to travel much further to see the team. It works both ways re: keeping people informed of progress.

I'm going to sit back and wait for a fan of another team to come along now and tell me I'm wrong. :lol:

Finny said:
Geraint was talking about the TV Media - not the South Wales Echo. The SW Echo isn't sold in Swansea hence the lack of coverage of them.
... Also reiterates my views that Cardiff reckon they're the centre of the universe.

The SOUTH WALES Echo only covers Cardiff? There is more than Cardiff in South Wales! Shouldnt it therefore be the Cardiff Echo instead maybe? :roll: :lol: But thats another argument ;)

Finny

The South Wales Echo covers South Wales.

Swansea is West Wales.

Plus there is no need for the Echo to contain stories about Swansea, as none of the Swansea Town fans can read anyway......... ;)

Clare said:
Only people from the cities themselves go watch the teams play.

I'm going to sit back and wait for a fan of another team to come along now and tell me I'm wrong. :lol:
Yep, you're wrong.

Yorkshire is a lot like Wales. But with more sheep! :lol:

I'd go as far as saying maybe only 25% of Steelers fans are from Sheffield. A lot come from Derbyshire and North Yorkshire.

Of the people who'd sit round me/my family only 2 people out of 36 live within the city walls. I know that's a small sample, but as I said...you're wrong! :lol:

Ha! Now I'm telling you wrong! I know Yorkshire and there are waaay more sheep here ;) hehe!

But anyway, I did invite it. Didnt think about the Yorkshire area. Although isnt Hull closer to North Yorkshire ;)

I can appreciate why they would choose Sheff over Hull though :lol:

And on that note then - how much ice hockey do you get on tv/in the paper in North Yorkshire then?

Im surprised the Derbyshire lot dont choose Notts too..

Clare said:
Ha! Now I'm telling you wrong! I know Yorkshire and there are waaay more sheep here ;) hehe!

But anyway, I did invite it. Didnt think about the Yorkshire area. Although isnt Hull closer to North Yorkshire ;)

I can appreciate why they would choose Sheff over Hull though :lol:
Depends which part of North Yorkshire. Hull is near nowhere. Dumping ground central.

And on that note then - how much ice hockey do you get on tv/in the paper in North Yorkshire then?
I wouldn't know - I don't live there! :lol: But there's a LOT of stuff in the Yorkshire Post at the minute. Plus we occasionally get coverage on Look Leeds, but that's only a handful of times a year.

Im surprised the Derbyshire lot dont choose Notts too..
I'm not... :lol:

Lol good and valid point about the Derby lot :lol:

Hull is a dump, aye. Even people from Hull dont bother with that team, never mind from anywhere further away!

Sheffield seem to embrace their hockey. Although from what I hear, Cardiff used to embrace it too, with the club having a good relationship with the council, that was of course until good old Mr Phillips moved in. :shock:

After having a word with some colleagues this afternoon at ITV Wales about coverage for the Devils I had the following response:

We are looking to increase our coverage of the Devils.

They had a brilliant season last year and were unlucky in the finals.

All we can say is watch this space....

Lets hope this is the case!

Ger-Devils said:
The club do need to venture more up to the Valleys though to grab a huge catchment area of juniors.
I agree, i live in the Caerphilly Borough, in the Valleys. And in the town where i live and out of all the people i know from all around the borough, i'd say that only around 15-20 people, have even heard of the devils, never mind been to a game of theirs.
I'm not saying there is only around 15 fans from caerphilly, but i do know, from my friends in cardiff, that they are alot more aware of ice-hockey in the city.
I just think that outside the city walls, and towards the valleys, its very un heard of, and not really at all advertised. :shock:

Recently i recieved an e-mail from the devils, which was one of their advertisting posters, advertising saturdays game. I had an idea, and have been thinking about e-mailing them back to ask, if for every home game, i could maybe be sent an e-mail of one of the advertising postes, and i could therefore then, print some out and put them up in my school and various places around the borough.
I just think that, if a few people from different places around south wales, could do this then, well its a start guess! :D

Does anybody, know of anyone who is doing something similar to this, or think it is a good idea? :)

Sheincar

I think it's a very good idea. It's something the club used to do a few years ago but for some reason they stopped doing it. I used to put the posters up in work.

Diafol

Totally agree with the comments about the club needing to do some marketing outside Cardiff, I've been saying the same thing for years.

TheStub

I suppose it is a question of focused advertisement. Cardiff Devils, so fill it with Cardiff people first.

Perhaps they feel that fans street teaming is a bit unprofessional, but if enough people suggest it they may push it.

Looking at my past emails, I seemed to have posters for every game, as pictures not PDFs mind.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Some great coverage in today's Echo on the day of the Devils' return to the ice. Like the tag line/logo at the top of the back page 'South Wales Echo Official Sponsors of the Cardiff Devils'. Hopefully, a permanent fixture on the back page!