Devils 10-11 Sponsor

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/colum ... -27139538/
TODAY we can announce that the South Wales Echo is the new sponsor of the Cardiff Devils for the 2010-2011 season.

New owner of the club and chief executive officer Paul Ragan, who appeared on the television show Secret Millionaire earlier this year, said: “We are delighted to announce that the South Wales Echo will be our new title sponsors.

“I know historically the Echo has been staunch a supporter of the club, and it’s great to work with a successful organisation which is as enthusiastic about the future as we are.”

Finny

Hopefully this will mean we get even more coverage in the SW Echo, and that should hopefully increase our exposure and bring in more fans.

Wannabe2

This is great news for the club, the SW Echo has for a long time been very staunch and avid fans of the Devils, and has done the club proud for years, and this now can only get even better. There isnt a club in the land that has better exposure than the Devils, and thats down to Terry Phillips and the great staff at the SW Echo. Very very good news for the club, onwards and upwards guys.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #4
Interestingly is this the first time Paul Ragan has been named as club owner, rather than just CEO ?

ASHIPP

This just re-inforces the good relationship the Devils' Organisation has had with the South Wales Echo over the years, giving substantial coverage on a regular basis. Be hard pushed to find another ice hockey club in the UK so well promoted through local press. Great news for the Club. :D

Now we just want HTV and BBC Wales local sport to do the same!

Wannabe2

ASHIPP said:
This just re-inforces the good relationship the Devils' Organisation has had with the South Wales Echo over the years, giving substantial coverage on a regular basis. Be hard pushed to find another ice hockey club in the UK so well promoted through local press. Great news for the Club. :D

Its being worked on believe me. ;)

ASHIPP

Wannabe2 said:
ASHIPP said:

Its being worked on believe me. ;)
Sounds good to me, Wannabe! :D

osh

ASHIPP said:

Agree! The TV thing always baffles me to be honest. We used to have a great show with 'Face Off ', when that went we were left with a gaping hole. Look at Welsh tv sport and its rugby, rugby and more rugby(even when the national team and club sides were not doing too good) We have a programme that focuses on Welsh League football where one man and his dog watch games with little or no atmosphere reaching tv viewers thats for sure. Perhaps the ECHO with its media connections will allow more hockey to be shown on both ITV and BBC. Nice to hear its being worked on!

ASHIPP

On the subject of TV coverage....what made me shake my head in despair towards the end of last season was that ITV Sport Wales presented a small article covering an international (normal) hockey event in Wales one evening, along with the football and the rugby......around the time the Devils had qualified for the Challenge Cup final with not even a mention on the sport news. :roll:

I work for ITV Wales (not for the news team) and I am trying my very best to get more coverage for this season from the sports reporters. It is a little like trying to get blood out of a stone though!

osh

Dizzy_B said:
I work for ITV Wales (not for the news team) and I am trying my very best to get more coverage for this season from the sports reporters. It is a little like trying to get blood out of a stone though!
Good for you! The amazing thing is that every home game is filmed by the Devils organisation (correct ?) and it's just a matter of editing perhaps a small amount of time highlighting goals etc, not as if either BBC or HTV have to do much really.

Jody - that made me laugh out loud :lol: ;)

Anyway. It's great that the Devils have yet again gained such a huge sponsor. Hopefully there will be more of a push for getting ice hockey in general into the media, not just the Cardiff Devils.

Wannabe2

Clare said:
Jody - that made me laugh out loud :lol: ;)

Anyway. It's great that the Devils have yet again gained such a huge sponsor. Hopefully there will be more of a push for getting ice hockey in general into the media, not just the Cardiff Devils.
They dont even have to look for the goals as thats even done for them, along with the name of the scorer, the master tape is delivered to them every week, its not always gonna make the news and thats fair enough, and in fairness this last season we had more news coverage than for awhile. Unfortunately we lost a great ally in Mr Bob Humphries god rest his soul, myself i think the answer is to change the shape of the puck, into a rugby ball shape, and then we will be on 24-7.One thing that will never change is the fact that a few of us who have access to BBC and HTV will never give up the cause, the club means too much to us for that to happen. As always we live in hope.

ASHIPP

Yeah, how about 'less of Craig Bellamy and more of Max Birbraer' on the tv? :D
Instead of 70% of local sport coverage devoted to Cardiff City (and the Swans come out the poor relations here when it comes to football coverage), how about 30 seconds of the Devils activities for the week?

Ger-Devils

Less coverage of Swansea and more Devils and then a lot of us will be happy!

Quite a few of us have season tickets with both the Devils and the Bluebirds so the more coverage we can get for the Devils the better- ie wearing shirts down the football but some weird looks which is funny at times

Finny

The problem is that the people in charge of BBC Sport Wales are ex-rugby players and so it's a case of keeping the jobs for the boys. Not sure if it is the same with HTV Wales.

Ger-Devils said:
Less coverage of Swansea and more Devils and then a lot of us will be happy!
Ger - nothing personal, but it is the SOUTH WALES Echo.

Im not saying it should not give more page space to the Devils, but come on, less Swansea?! You know that aint gonna happen and you know there would be a helluva a lot more people unhappy than happy.

Just have to accept that only 2000 (at a push) people watch the hockey. How many more hundred thousand watch the footy and rugby? Media coverage would be fab, but its only going to be in proportion with what the current audience want.

Um.. ?

Swansea has just as much of a place in the media as that other city just up the road.. whats it called again? :lol:

Finny

Geraint was talking about the TV Media - not the South Wales Echo. The SW Echo isn't sold in Swansea hence the lack of coverage of them.

Gazza272

Have to say I'm a little bit confused about this title sponser. Generally we get very good coverage in the Echo considering we are a minority sport. Terry always gives us good copy week in week out and we also seem to have a lot of media on Walesonline whether it be video or audio.

I cant really see whats in it for us to be honest and how much more the coverage will be? I'm also concerned it isnt money orientated as much as a team looking to be title challengers (as we should be this year) would need.

In saying that I can see the sense in the deal for two reasons.

1. If Bellamy leads Cardiff towards the top of the table we will have leverage to gain more copy within the paper.

2. We should get maximum exposure if we gain the lease to the rink. And that should sky rocket us as an organisation.

All in all I can see sort of why this deals been done, but as a title sponsor I was kinda hoping for something a little bigger.