Derrick Walser ...

Wannabe2

Dickhead big time, just cemented my hatred of the Giants, they come a close second to Steelers in my eyes. Untrue behaviour from a Coach, total disrespect arsehole.

Meridian

I almost give him the benefit of the doubt skating off, bordy often does it and I thought oh maybe he's mistimed it. But to then keep on going and put his helmet on is so disrespectful I'm glad the ref pulled him up on it

Pondlife

Sat behind their bench and even Nickerson couldn't believe it. Skated over and you could see the "WTF" to the rest of them.

No excuse for that level of disrespect.

august04

I still can't fathom out what the pig ignorant little prick was playing at. Utterly bizarre behaviour which brought shame upon himself and the Belfast Giants organisation. You just do not disrespect the anthem, the flag, the country, the people - no matter where you're from on this earth. I expect the Belfast Giants to issue a public apology to the Cardiff Devils organisation and its fans who had the misfortune to witness that repugnant arsehole behaving like that. And I expect the EIHL to charge him with bringing the game into disrepute. I'm not holding my breath on either front though. Shameful.....and I still think that someone should have held him to account tonight, no matter what.

Gisland

Seems strange.... Devils can be a physical bunch at times....would have thought some special attention to Walser and get a reaction.....maybe in the eyes of the players its not seen as an act that warrants attention !!!

Ocko

He should've absolutely been held to account. Very disappointed in the team. He had one hit laid on him in the 3rd by Lord. That's it.

Our team let someone disrespect the organisation, fans and country and did absolutely nothing about it. They might not be Welsh but whilst they are here they represent the fans.

Walser is a disgrace and our team should be very disappointed they allowed this to happen with no retribution.

august04

I almost give him the benefit of the doubt skating off, bordy often does it and I thought oh maybe he's mistimed it. But to then keep on going and put his helmet on is so disrespectful I'm glad the ref pulled him up on it
Bordy does it a few seconds before the end and I wish he wouldn't do that either. But Walser's actions were totally different - a deliberate act of disrespect which I'm glad to say I've never seen before in any sport. I hope I never see it again either.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

Bordy does it a few seconds before the end and I wish he wouldn't do that either. But Walser's action were totally different - a deliberate act of disrespect which I'm glad to say I've never seen before in any sport. I hope I never see it again either.
In relation to Bordy...I used to play with a guy who had to move before the end of the anthem (wasn't hockey), it was this weird superstition he had. He couldn't explain it. He just had to do it. He said "he'd have a bad game" if he didn't.
Conversely Lordy looks like he's never going to move when it's finished.

'Nowt as queer as folk!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #16
I presume he will be professional enough to apologise personally to Beth prior to her singing the anthem at the next home game v Giants. No doubt his antics would have put her off, but credit to the girl, she 'stayed professional', didn't get flustered and did a great job (as usual).

I also assume Thornton is penning an apology to the Devils organisation and fans as we speak and no doubt ordering a bouquet of flowers for Beth for delivery tomorrow morning !

Koop11

He may have apologised but his actions were clearly pre meditated. Shameful behaviour from him as a professional, let alone an individual with any ounce of respect. Credit to Smith for penalising him and to Lord for making his feelings known.

As for everyone else of the team, where are your nuts?! Not one person challenged him. I bet if it were to have happened during O Canada they may have reacted. Shame on you also lads.

RTfarty

Pre meditated? Don't be ridiculous!

I was just as appalled as everyone else but the man clearly made a mistake and apologised. You can't ask for more than that.

As for retribution, we had a semi final game to win which I'm sure the players were far more focussed on.

E.D.S.

Guess it's all about opinions. We'll never know what actually went through his head. All he can do is apologise. Pissed me off too but what can we do now other than stuff them in the second leg?! That'll do me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris592

I think some people need to calm down here a bit.

Firstly yes respect the anthem, I will stand (remove my hat if I have one on) for anyone's Anthem regardless whos it is. But in my opinion this was a simple mistake, we all make them, a lapse in judgement (or a brain fart) where you do something stupid or silly and your like "oh boy cant believe I have done that".

Walser is a very respectful person, listen to him speak, listen to him being interviewed. He is a very honest and frank person.

This wasn't pre-meditated, this wasn't an act of disrespect towards Wales, this was a guy under a lot of pressure this time of the season, who was just off a double header in Sheffield, and probably hasn't had much rest or down time since, and made a mistake and lapse of judgement. He has posted an apology on twitter, it takes a big man to own up to a mistake and apologies for it, often enough people would just put their heads in the sand till it blows over.

So yes perhaps calm down, no ones perfect and we all make mistakes.

Anyway second leg of the CC coming up and its all to play for! Hope to see a few Devils fans in the Odyssey and safe travels over.