Dave Simms

Skippy

Has to be better that the numpty that they had last time we went up.

He was more Hospital / Community radio that anything else and I seem to recall him calling periods halves

steve

At the risk of being flamed - i think Simms has been a lot better this year - possibly due to not being so heavily involved in the sheffield PR machine. If his involvement is limited i don't mind.

That said, now our status and influence has increased...Pope for Sky sports next year? Sorry Dave, there's only one pro-standard broadcaster in the UK!

zoesdevil

Apparently a fan says he's back as media officer!!! Plus Ragan has agreed to sign Ben Simon back for the next season, but not officially yet!! shouldn't he be more interested in trying to get Craig weller signed up with us first!!!

DevilDom

zoesdevil said:
Apparently a fan says he's back as media officer!!! Plus Ragan has agreed to sign Ben Simon back for the next season, but not officially yet!! shouldn't he be more interested in trying to get Craig weller signed up with us first!!!
And here we have the first example of why it is going to be difficult (IMO) to make this work. When Paul is concentrating on Shuff some Devils fans will think he is neglecting them and when he is doing things at the Devils the situation will be vice versa.

Skippy

So he's back in his old role..

‘Simmsey’ accepted an offer from new owner Paul Ragan to return to the club as both announcer and media liaison officer yesterday and will start working for the club once again with immediate effect.

“It’s been a horrible four months away” said David Simms. “This is the best Christmas present I have ever had and I can’t thank Paul and his team enough for giving me the opportunity to return. I’d also like to thank both Chris and Steve who did a great job in my absence.

(http://www.britishicehockey.co.uk/news/ ... -3972.html)

TheStub

This is fairly good news for Steelers. Simmsy, love or loath him, is Steelers to the core and works hard for them. The fact that their press antics didn't change with his departure points to organisational bias.

Simmsy works hard for the sport, and it only fitting he is back where he belongs.

TheStub

Re: Re: Dave Simms

zoesdevil said:
The owner appoints the GM and has a say in the coach. He should not have any say in on ice signings. Maybe aside from displeasure at the quality - and he can best say that by sacking a coach.

I'd rather him say he'd resigned G. He already said he was looking to.

Finny

I can't beleive any of our fans seriously expect Weller to be back here next season unless he once again doesn't get an AHL/DEL contract! :eek:

Finny

TheStub said:
I'd rather him say he'd resigned G. He already said he was looking to.
I agree. Though don't forget that quite a few fans wanted him sacked at the start of the season and some still will unless we win the league title. And probable the playoffs and CC.

But as you say, all the owner should be looking at signing is the coach. The rest is up to the coach himself.

TheStub

Re: Re: Re: Dave Simms

Finny said:
(A)s you say, all the owner should be looking at signing is the coach. The rest is up to the coach himself.
It is the only way this can work, and if I remember correctly a big problem with Bob's attempt to run both. PR has to be seen to have nothing to do with the hockey decisions. That way he can remain impartial with minimal fan unrest.

But he has to be sure that there will be fans in both teams that will see him biased towards the other.

Back to Simmsy. Apparently he is going to make Shuff the best match night in the league. It was in no way before he left, so has he been think really hard in his absence or is just delusional again. Maybe he'll borrow some of the Cardiff work :lol:

Chris

Administrator
I can't beleive any of our fans seriously expect Weller to be back here next season unless he once again doesn't get an AHL/DEL contract! :eek:
I can't remember whether it was the Real Radio phone doofer, or maybe the BBC clips on him, but on one of them Weller did say he did not intend to be here next season as he wanted to go back to North America.

He did however also go on to say he was enjoying playing here, but whilst he had the chance in North America (I'm assuming AHL, or top end ECHL teams?) he wanted to go back there. In the future he said he would not mind playing here again.

Refreshingly honest I guess, and even if he doesn't get an AHL contract, if he signs in one of the better/top Euro leagues, at least he won't be playing against us :p

Chris.

Kipper

Enjoy Craig Weller while he is with us.He will be off to play a far higher and more lucrative standard of hockey next season and rightly so.

Fantastic news that Ben Simon should be back next season!!

Not so fantastic news that Mr Simms is back. However, it's better than the prospect of what could have been, so I guess I'm happy enough!

Slartibartfast

Now that Simmsy is an employee of Paul Ragan can Paul persuade him to pronounce Maxs surname correctly. :lol:
Its pronounced 'Beer Brayer' (or even Bryer) but definitely not Bru Beer. :evil:
Come on Simmsy you are almost a Devil now. Get it right next time you are on Sky Sports

steve said:
At the risk of being flamed - i think Simms has been a lot better this year - possibly due to not being so heavily involved in the sheffield PR machine. If his involvement is limited i don't mind
Gotta agree. I've quite enjoyed watching the EIHL Highlights Show this season. The fact that both Simmsey and Strachan are not 'officially' associated with any team (although Simmsey is orange and teal through and through) has meant they have both been far more objective than previously. Yes, Dave's passion for the Steelers is strong - which makes him the best guy for that job - but its been nice to see him talk about other teams in a less biased way recently.