Dave simms- legend or loser?

Thread starter #1
I added simmsy on face book a few weeks ago to get all the latest updates from the EIHL but all he seems to do is praise Sheffield and defend all their wrongs after saying how wrong it was infront of the sky cameras and seems to get a kick out of opposition fans ripping each other apart.

The one thing I enjoy about the sport is the light hearted banter between supporters regardless of race/culture and nationality but simmsy seems to enjoy provoking people with his status updates.

I may be reading to much in to this but for me he should not be the face of sky sports EIHL show, I'd be happy to see Paul Thomson or our very own Paul Sullivan take the show over from simmsy freeing his time up to stay in Sheffield and enjoy their success.

Loser but he has done allot for the sport which I will give credit for. It's like mcmorrow, complete marmite butbthe sport needs them

I like Dave Simms.

He engages with hockey fans across the league and encourages debate and I think he works hard to promote the sport, not just the steelers. He does seem to know what he is talking about when it comes to hockey.

He can get carried away a bit sometimes, but only due to his passion for the sport.

wildthing74

I like the fella as he is passionate about our sport and does a lot to promote people getting off their backsides and getting to games.
Don't get me wrong back in the early '90's when he defected from his hometown to Sheffield(tut tut Dave)he used to drive me and all Devils fans nuts with his wind ups from his little white hut but its easy to see through that.As long as you see it for what it is and its just banter then he's fun to have around.Had some good chats over the years and sometimes not pleasant but at the end of the day his heart is in the right place its just his choice of hockey club sucks.
I would urge any Devils fans that bump into him to stop and have a chat with him.You will find him very approachable,knowlegeable and all round ok guy.
I did cringe when I was walking into the arena the other week and a few Devils fans starting chanting not nice songs to him.At the time he was outside in the freezing cold selling 50/50 tickets with only a shirt jacket on.That I think says a lot about the bloke.

ASHIPP

When presenting the Sky Elite League Show and when providing match-time commentary, Simmsey is interesting to listen too.

He seems like a decent bloke but for someone with his media experience and who is a 'face' of British ice hockey, he damages his own credibilty. Why? His promotion and passion for his own team prevents him from being completely unbiased and his habit of engaging 'mouth before brain' erodes his professionalism.

rocketbob

I used to follow his Twitter, but this just reinforced my view that he is way too biased and full of himself for my liking. Unfollowed....

DWD

Followed him on twitter for about a year. Then stopped as his constant "I know a secret about a forthcoming signing" "look at me" nonsense, followed by "told you so" on vague predictions got as boring as Wildthings obsession with the Giants.

big time loser for me but evry club needs a person like simms he does so much for the club it some times makes me feel sick how much he goes on about the squeelers i think thats why i hate them so much just because of him.
but like i said does so much for the club #skygameagain :roll:

wildthing74

DWD said:
Followed him on twitter for about a year. Then stopped as his constant "I know a secret about a forthcoming signing" "look at me" nonsense, followed by "told you so" on vague predictions got as boring as Wildthings obsession with the Giants.
Err who is the one always on another team's messageboard? ;)

samidevils said:
He knows his hockey, but is a Steeler fan first and foremost.
Agree with the first bit....probably more knowledgeable than anyone... on British ice hockey past and present.
Disagree with the second part........he is an ice hockey fan first and foremost - a Steelers fan next. That's what I glean from his work fronting ice hockey on television. I can't think of anyone who strives harder to promote ice hockey for each and every club in the league. His interviews rarely dodge controversial issues....he asks the questions ordinary fans would ask. His enthusiasm for this great sport is infectious (and sometimes OTT).
Sure he is opinionated......just like each of us who contribute to this forum. But I'd rather have someone whose passion for his sport is 'in your face' and who's prepared to debate issues with fans using all the moderm media.....than someone like the insipid, politically correct and boring presenters who have fronted televised ice hockey in the past.
By the way....despite last week's Steelers v. Giants match being a disappointment, I thought the presentation / format was the best we've seen.
The Simms / Thomson analyses of Pelle's goal and the Steelers' powerplays were so interesting......the brief interviews with the players on the breaks and also the the opinions of Brent Pope....all made for a varied and informative programme. ( Have deliberately omitted Shudra.....since hearing his comments on last year's play-off final....the only human being who thought the Panthers' win was fully deserved - I just don't think he's worth listening to! )

DWD

wildthing74 said:
DWD said:
Err who is the one always on another team's messageboard? ;)
I'm on most teams message boards. I get bored in work ;) :DWD