Dave Simms interview

Its a good interview right up to the point when he starts talking about the forums then he loses credibility and just turns in to the utter tool that he really is. For a start he uses the forums too and his comment about people being on the forums during games so they dont really care about there team is utter bull.

His attack on the fans on the forums was unreasonable. Ive seen the type of posts he was talking about where people try to work out budget costs and wages etc, with little or no information and I never take them seriously, but he seemed to generallise that point and his critisism of fans that dont care about the sport was way OTT. Those fans, no matter how misguided or inaccurate, certainly care.
Im also not sure I agree with his wage cap arguement. I dont believe wage caps are enforcable, but this league needs a wage structure that stops someone entirely buying the league by paying vastly more than anyone else, to wide a range in the amount teams can pay players will see the league break apart IMO.
But I think he was probably right about the teams playing politics at the end of the seasona nd his critisisms of Caps and Manchester seem valid to me.
Anyway, he gives a good interview....and he was almost positive about Cardiff at the end, talking aboiut a potential to 3 finish, I think he thinks we might beat the Steelers.

I think Manchester probably did want to be Big fish and punched above their weight last year and paid for it, so have moved down this year in order to be a top team. I understand it too, I just think its a shame, I would like to have seen them build year on year like us, but maybe they simply didnt have the resources.

Because if we'd have entered a team, any team, in the Elite we'd have ceased to exist by December. We do not have the money to pay for an EIHL team, nor the initial costs required to be a member of it nor afford the costs required to stay in it.

A great interview and I found myself agreeing with pretty much all of it.

Huskie442 said:
Anyway, he gives a good interview....and he was almost positive about Cardiff at the end, talking aboiut a potential to 3 finish, I think he thinks we might beat the Steelers.
He is right that teams are stacked. I think he thinks you might take the Panthers spot in the 'top 4!' :lol:

He states that no other team in the world has a salary cap... doesn't the NHL have a salary cap (an upper and lower limit)? Granted it's something like 60 million dollars per year but... still.

TheStub

The NHL wagecap is a percentage of revenue. So, the more successful the team the more they have to spend.

Which is between a hard cap like ours, and what Simms wants.

TheStub said:
The NHL wagecap is a percentage of revenue. So, the more successful the team the more they have to spend.

Which is between a hard cap like ours, and what Simms wants.
I don't think that's quite right, it is taken as a % of revenue, but I don't think that means that different teams work to different caps, it just means the league sets the cap based on 75% of revenue across the league.

TheStub

I thought it was on the teams total revenue.

I'd have to check - but I thought the system was to make it less than fair, make the big teams have an advantage and not allow the smaller teams to fold by overspending.

I'll have to check - I'm not sure, so I could well be wrong.

If I am wrong, sounds like a good system though ;) You want more money, you can go to your fans and say "you spend more with us, and we could buy better players" :lol:

E.D.S.

Simms is a plank...end of! He's smug, arrogant obnoxious and thrives on the power that he has afforded himself. You can see this whenever he posts on the Steelers forum, he never actually says anything other than "I know something you don't, I know more than you but I wont tell you what it is" and then professes to always be right. He's like a spoilt child. His passion for the sport is admirable and he's clearly living a dream by operating in a sport that he loves but he seems to lack in any code of conduct. Time and time again he abuses and misuses the public forums and media platforms that he has access to. This man shouldn't be given the air time.
He moans about the forums but he posts on them and contributes/fuels them. People go on forums to post an opinion. When he said "people on forums just want to prove that they are in the know and know more than someone else" total hypocracy from a total tool!

And breathe.......sorry folks, no offence intended just my own personal opinion.

DWD

Hi there,

Cheers to all for their kind feedback on the Simmsy interview. And an especial thanks to Dave for his usual honesty and frankness that made it even more interesting.

On UKHL, since founding it in March, we’ve been trying to keep the site updated with regular interviews, we’ve had Todd Kelman, Jaimie Longmuir and Gerard Adams to name but 3 (all still available on the site), and hope to have more in the weeks leading up to the season opener.

Then during the season we’re hoping to bring you some live coverage direct from games throughout the EIHL.

If you’ve any suggestions, comments, or have anyone in mind you think is worth interviewing for the site, just drop me a PM or e-mail me at dwd@ukhockeylive.com