Dave Simms DS = BS

E.D.S.

Thread starter #1
I think I write this post every season but this year it just seems to be unbearable. The guy is a complete fool. Not only does he do his usual completely unprofessional act by promoting his own team and mentioning the Steelers with every breath - seriously have you ever noticed how many times his says the Steelers name compared to everyone else?....we know you support the steelers there’s no need to mention it every 5 minutes. Just present the show!!!!
Where I think sky get it wrong and where there other sports shows get it right (e.g. football and rugby) they have one guy presenting who asks the questions and then a panel answering those questions using their expertise. DS asks the questions, give his opinion and then passes himself off as an expert. The guy is completely unprofessional. He's basically a hockey fan that has landed a dream job. I don't care who you support, I don't wish for your opinion and I definitely don't care who you think will win every week in your stupid competition with Rick. Whilst I can opt not to read his drivel of a column in Powerplay Mag it's more difficult not to listen to the man when he's on sky, although I do try to mute him. Give me a proper host and some real experts and get this idiot off the TV.
A number of examples spring to mind but here's one for you.....Sawyer committed the crime of the century by 'sucker punching' someone. Apparently that was worthy of a debate after the highlights were shown. Campbell of the Steelers bites an official and it doesn't get anywhere near the same profile as Sawyers incident. In fact he doesn’t even mention a bite. Just abuse of an official, which incidentally was his second abuse of an official in two seasons! Furthermore he doesn't mention that Pelle got crosschecked. He just said he got driven to the net. Where's the balance?
I just can’t help but get tourrettes whenever he’s on the TV. DS = BS pure and simple
Apologies for the rant. I’m not after anyone’s agreement here. I just need to vent off.

I think Simms does a pretty good job and he is far better than some plastic presenter who might be more polished and slick but lacks his passion.

I think he does a good job as well... Simms is to UK ice hockey what Don King is to Boxing, or John McCririck is to horse racing. You either like him or don't.. I don't agree with a lot of what Simms says but I can't fault his hard work to promote the EIHL...

oneill said:
I think he does a good job as well... Simms is to UK ice hockey what Don King is to Boxing, or John McCririck is to horse racing. You either like him or don't.. I don't agree with a lot of what Simms says but I can't fault his hard work to promote the EIHL...
But as long as he is talking about the big four, then he is happy ;)

E.D.S.

Thread starter #5
Completely entitled to your own opinions which I respect. It's a matter of taste. You either like him or you don't. I don't despute his promotion of the EIHL but his presentation of the sky sports show is what annoys me. Present the show, don't bother me with your opinions and pretend to be an expert. As I said it's personal opinion.
Enjoy your weekend all.

Koop11

I think the guy is very unprofessional. Unfortunately, there are certain things we have to live with and Simms is one of them.

chris592

Simms is fantasic, lives for UK Ice Hockey, I dont have a problem with him mentioning the Steelers or whatever. Its a pity we dont have more Dave Simms in UK hockey.

TV presenting is a tough job, and lets be honest he dosent have any real experience behind it, and its probably the best the EIHL can get. Lets be grateful we have a weekly highlights show, cause we didnt use too.

Good work Simmsy keep it up mate.

TheStub

I agree that he isn't the most proportionate, impartial host... but at least we have dome coverage.

The whole show feels a bit low budget, public access, but it is there and can be built on. They are trying.

For me Simmsy isn't the biggest thing to deal with. It is their highlight analysis that lacks. Goals and not much more - the teams normally publish better on their own websites. Also, how about a bit of running back the tape, slow mo, details around the plays developing. Give me more than pucks in nets.

Also, with a good number of the teams recording their own commentary, why not leave that over the highlights? The Rick and Dave after the fact lacks continuity and is quite frankly often confusing.

Final moan, I wish they would tell us what period we are in (simple animation editted in) and maybe add a score in the top left.

Wannabe2

Unfortunately low budget programs tend to look just that, obviously the program is better than nought, but the clubs need to take more responsibility and send in more watchable footage, that way you will watch more hockey, and listen to less waffle. As for Strachs he should be wired to the mains, as then he may show a little more energy, at the moment he,s like Kevin out of Kevin and Perry, get Nick Roswell more involved at least the man seems awake, and has his own views instead of agreeing with every word form the STEELMAN. Its better than nothing but the sport deserves better, clubs take heed.

Gaz G

Agree again with Wannabe that clubs need to send in better footage but Simms does really get to me. Knows everything but knows nothing to the "half trained eye" at the same time. Surely this programme is not completely aimed at people who already watch Ice Hockey??? It's common knowledge that the sport needs more exposure and personally I think that as host of the show he should be spending less time concentrating on the Arena teams and more on the likes of Edinburgh, Brahead, Dundee, Hull, Newcastle and in most probability us.

Anyone who has seen it on the t.v, tuned in and watched a few weeks may well automatically become a big team fan if they decide they actually want to watch the game on telly.

Push and promote the sport as a whole thorught the area that sky sports is shown and you watch the crowds increase.

Simms is a tit but there is no one else who will do it. He needs to think long term and as has been said present a show from an unbiased view. I'd be happy to do it and would have no qvarms in saying the Devils were pants if they were pants.

ASHIPP

Since the Sky show has more studio based, it does look amatuerish. Infact I don't know whether Simms and Strachan are talking from a dressing room with a screen pulled across or just a very small studio! :lol:

Simms is entitled to support his team - but a professional sports commentator would present the show in an un-biased, intelligent manner. You don't hear Hanson or Lineker eulogising about Liverpool or Spurs, do you! And he is very patronising - at one point talking to Silverthorn about Hull playing 'other bottom teams'!! Excuse me, but it's only 4 weeks into the season! There is no doubt he loves the sport, but I would at least expect him to do his homework first. In an earlier programme, he called Jon (Pelle) JOE PELLE! :oops: Get a grip, Simms, he's only one of the top scorers in the league! :lol: Unless, of course, Jon has a twin brother...and yes, please, we'll have him as well. :cool:

As for the bias, I hope that he has sufficient respect for EVERY team in the league to invite a player or coach from each team onto the programme. So far he's had Thompson, Clouthier, Silverthorn and Tait in the studio. Wonder who it will be from the Devils - can see a Simms' interview with G being very prickly! :twisted:

***Note to anyone watching the show: Just look at Strachan's face in the background when Simms is in full flow - you can almost see an embarrassed smile and his eyes roll. ;)

TheStub

I wish someone would lock Ricks head in a brace. Watch him whilst he is talking - he looks everywhere except the camera or Simmsy... and never for more than 6 six seconds.

Could i nominate Pope for at least an occasional role on the show. He did a great job presenting the Olympic Hockey for the BBC. That makes him qualified in my eye.

ASHIPP

Mark666 said:
Could i nominate Pope for at least an occasional role on the show. He did a great job presenting the Olympic Hockey for the BBC. That makes him qualified in my eye.
TBH, I'm gobsmacked Brent isn't doing the show - he's the obvious candidate. He is a consumate professional in terms of reportage and interviewing. :cool: Infact, he could show Dave Simms EXACTLY how professional sports presentation should be done. ;)

James

Administrator
I asked Brent once a year or so ago. He said there was one reason 'politics'. Brent is clearly the best dude for the gig but won't get it.

TheStub

In terms of the league, and the public face of it (and all other aspects) I think the Devils organisation is firmly on the outside looking it. The league is run from the Midlands/South Yorkshire - and anyone else is not in the club.

But yes, Brent is 100% better than Dave Simms. Dave seems to think he knows how to present TV, but he ends up just looking like someones drunk uncle at a wedding - the one who usually says something offensively racist and sexist.

C'mon Dave, get Brent to guest present ;)

I have wondered why the club haven't looked at putting together their own "Devils TV" half hour online show, with not only highlights but all the interviews and analysis. Mostly the things they already put out, plus a little bit, with a bit more polish.

I would be up to help put something out, if they are looking for volunteers ;)