craig weller

wildthing74

A class above anybody in this league.Reads the game so well and just seems to be 2 moves ahead of everybody on the ice.
I think when he first came he was trying too hard and going coast to coast all the time leaving the other D man exposed and a forward was having to drop back to cover but last week he seemed to play more from the blue line.
Excellent signing by the club and if we keep him he'll have a massive impact on the team.

rocketbob

I have only watched him out of the corner of my eye for 5 minutes and I think he's rubbish......

Joking aside. Well impressed, I think he is pure class and I agree with all of the comments from the previous post. I haven't seen anyone trying to rough up Pelle since he joined (although this may change against the Steelers or Panthers). He does however slightly worry me about how far up the ice he goes/stays sometimes (for a D man). Occassionally this leaves us a bit exposed at the back (IMO).

steve

for me its the effort he shows to recover the puck that sets him apart.

as everyone does, one or two passes have gone astray or he's lost control of the puck in our zone, but every time he fights and fights to win it back, and i don't think i've seem him fail once.

Finny

Even better than I could have imagined.

Often when a defensive NHLer comes over here it takes a while for you to see how classy they are. With Weller it's obvious already. He is unbelievably comfortable on the puck, can keep control of it even if two forwards are on him, has good speed and skill to get him out a tricky situation before picking a cracking pass to setup a quick counter attack.

Agreed with pretty much everything on here.

Total class. :D

Did leave the back a bit exposed, especially at first with a hunger to get upfront but he was playing on the wing at his last club so you can understand. Great holder of the puck (and passer and getter) and we've noticed him using his body really well to keep players off the puck and on Friday we noticed our other Dmen picking up on this and using it to their advantage. So it seems he's passing on his wisdom which doubles his value IMO.

Cant wait to see him against some of the big boys, and will be chuffed to see him drop the gloves at some point too.

as has been said you can tell he's a step ahead of everyone even in his first games when he was doing his best to get a goal very strong on his skates and passing is very good too very impressive player to watch!

I would swear sometimes that when the opposition has the puck they just give it to him as they know there is no point fighting him for it!!!

I think he is a great asset, not only for his playing ability, but for the skills he can give the team.

I just hope he stays for the season

The classiest import for a long time!
Worth the ticket price to just watch him. Kids learning the game should get video's of his performance to study. His recovery of situations is unbelievable, positional play second to none. Doesn't waste a pass, well not many! We haven't seen him drop the gloves yet but I can wait.
If I go on drueling much more during games I will have to wear a bib.
The Guy is a megga find.
Happier Hockey days ahead!!!

Earnie

As ASHIPP said - The Real Deal.
Nottingham have just signed an ex NHL forward. They must be getting worried - they have good reason to be worried! In Craig Weller we have a world class forward and a defensmen all in one set of legs.

Hywel

TheStub

Let's be honest, ex-NHL doesn't always equal best fit. I get concerned when I read "ex-NHL", as I hope it isn't just another attempt for a smaller team to jump on the band wagon. After all, McMorrow is ex-NHL... one game in the show.

What is impressive with Weller is the obvious quality - this guy should still be in the show. He isn't an ex-AHLer who has dropped below the standard of the league, it is the actual longevity of his career that has made it difficult for him to get an AHL contract (this is where I should post that good article Vic wrote, but I am too lazy).

Weller shows the grace and poise of a great player - he also is showing skills that should be in a higher league.

I just hope that all the other guys are taking this opportunity to learn from someone who is obviously a great, and has played regularly in the best league in the world under arguably the greatest player of all time. In a league that is now stuffed with ex-NHL talent, he is the one who still is NHL talent.

Although, a thought I keep having - this guy was a 4th line grinder in the NHL. If we are seeing this quality from him, imagine what the 20 season veterans and young superstars are like ;) I hear Parise is little unhappy in Newark - think we can tempt him across the pond when he hits free agency? :lol:

DevilDom

I agree with all the previous comments with regards Craig's skill and play, however what impresses me most is his attitude.

Unlike so many "ex-NHL" or high end players that have come to this league he hasn't come to the UK for a holiday and he doesn't coast through games. He plays with a very high level of commitment and desire which is refreshing to see for someone of his obvious ability. I just hope we can keep him here as long as possible and maybe he can help us to win some silverware.

TheStub said:
What is impressive with Weller is the obvious quality - this guy should still be in the show. He isn't an ex-AHLer who has dropped below the standard of the league, it is the actual longevity of his career that has made it difficult for him to get an AHL contract (this is where I should post that good article Vic wrote, but I am too lazy).
This article? ;) from Pro Hockey News.

http://www.prohockeynews.com/hockey/publish/hockeyuk/Pick_a_veteran.shtml