Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils - 01/09 - 7:45pm

Personally i think last night was a pointless game all round. Coventry charging £15 a head too watch a challenge game, barely a third full arena, no atmosphere, hence nothing really happening on the ice. Perfect opportunity to lower the prices, try and attract some new fans, but hey, why am i giving Coventry any advice. At least the Devils appear to think of there fans during these difficult financial times.
Onto the game, Devils really never turned up, they didnt appear too want the contact, it seemed as though it was just another 60 minutes of fitness work, and the result never mattered.
This isn't really fair to the 50-60 devils fans who made the journey in the midweek too support the team, who would have been fair too expect a little bit of fight.
I'd heard such great things about Miller after Saturday night, but don't think he did himself justice last night, hope he isn't one of these players who has one great game followed by a mediocre one, hope he is a Mr consistent.
Smith and Birbraer offered very little, hopefully time together will improve.
Voth didn't really look that interested.
Hartwick and Jarvis did ok, Adams was left chasing shadows at times playing on 'D' which has to be a concern.
I thought the standout player was Richardson, he looks a solid all round player who can offer a lot to the Devils jersey, and also the young brits, who whilst being maybe a little light put themselves about all night, chased hard and battled with all the Coventry players all evening.
And on a final note, i didn't think much of the Coventry team either, certainly no better than there team of last season.

was extremely annoyed at getting home at 2300 last night. Cant make many games during september due to work commitments so we thought we would head up to coventry last night.

After starting work at 4am yestarday morning and getting home at 4pm we made some rolls and left newport at about 5.30pm. Looking forward to seeing some hockey. Smith, birbraer, miller.

Arrived at the sponsordome at about 7.30 and there was hardly anyone there. £15 a ticket was scanalous for a game on a tuesday night before the season starts.

First period devils battling and getting a few shots away but not really testing there backup Mundy( had a good game but really everything hit him).

Second period blaze started to get a few calls fromdarnell and took advantage of a good powerplay move with fulghorn tapping in at the back post.

about 2 mins after this the devils decide to change net minder, possibly the worst decision i have ever seen made....... Crisp enter as the blaze are on top a shot after 10 seconds beats him all ends up but comes back off the post and was in the crease asking to be tapped home until hartwick cleared the puck.

Crisp was beaten by 2 goals that would not have even had tested lyle.

I was overall disppointed that the devils could not find a way to beat a blaze back up netminder and the way our forward import players did not seem to want to change tactics. Didnt G say that we were going to be playing different this season. Well if that is different , same old dump and chase. dump and chase dump and chase......

few players who could hold there heads up after last night.

jarvis -solid and was coming forward just like last season.

richardson- possibly the signing of the season..

hayes- battled for everything

davies - battled for everything

towe- deserved mom -won nearly all his faceoffs all night

lyle- looked sharp early on

apart from that i am struggling to stand up for any player..

But at least it was a friendly and not the challenge cup final....then i would of been disappointed......

voth26

i wasnt at either of the game's so my opinions are based on people who were there!!,after the first game the talk was we have a good team even though we were 3 imports down,miller looked like a good signing max/smithy did ok despite landing just before game (a few hours) the season looked rosey.
Second game still same team still 3 imports down we lose guess what happens, we go back to usual devils fans talk of poor prep for the season, certain players not interested, season all over before we start.blah blah blah all the Negative comments have started
How about we try a POSITIVE thought for a change how about we refer judgement of the team, SUPPORT the team after all that's why we pay for a season/weekly ticket buy the shirts etc, stop the bellyaching comments but have constructive comments instead when the guys lose and accept it. I'm sure the guys dont play crap/lose on purpose, do we all have great days in work everyday all of the time!!!
We pay to SUPPORT the Devils so why not do it NOW

ASHIPP

I wasn't at the match last night either so I can only go by people's comments too.

If the Devils had an inexperienced (to EIHL standard) netminder in goal for much of the game, and a lot of our young players, we should not be suprised that the score was 3-0. But the Blaze looked to have iced a virtually full, senior team so I am far more suprised that the score wasn't 23-0! :shock: It seems that the Devils weren't playing to full potential - also sounds like the Blaze were coasting a bit too.

It is certainly disappointing that the M line failed to find a way to score, particularly with the Blaze back-up in goal. It sounds, from what is being said, that the Devils' energy levels at times were low and their tactics a bit scrappy and chaotic. :(
I can definitely sympathise with Blaze and Devils fans who spent money and time to see another exciting game (and view all the new players) only to witness something somebody called 'lacklustre'.

As Huskie said earlier, maybe the intention was simply for the young players to get plenty of ice time and to avoid the seniors picking up injury or fatigue. Let's hope that when the other 3 guys join later this week that they can really work on that passion and skill they showed on Saturday. :cool:

Wannabe2

We will certainly see a different team once the league begins, as for the Blaze game away, well it sounds like a totally different game to Saturdays. Firstly charging £15 whats that all about, secondly putting the young lad in between the posts, well how is this lad ever going to improve if he dont get the chance, thats what brought Ben and the other lads on. The Devils never were going to put themselves in the position of picking up injuries for a non eventur, playing at home is different for your own fans. So yes if you paid that rediculous amount, and traveled to see the lads then i suppose you may feel gutted, but really was it ever going to be a lot different in reality.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #48
How about we try a POSITIVE thought for a change how about we refer judgement of the team, SUPPORT the team after all that's why we pay for a season/weekly ticket buy the shirts etc, stop the bellyaching comments but have constructive comments instead when the guys lose and accept it. I'm sure the guys dont play crap/lose on purpose, do we all have great days in work everyday all of the time!!!
Just like I paid to drive to Coventry to support the team, only to watch them play complete crap? If they can play so well on Saturday, why can't they do it on Tuesday?

I'm afraid I don't have a whole lot constructive to offer after last nights game other than..
Learn to pass.
Learn to play as a team.

Is that sufficient for you?

I think you'll find that those of us who went to the game do support the team, that'd be why we drove ~120miles each way to watch them play...
So yes if you paid that rediculous amount, and traveled to see the lads then i suppose you may feel gutted, but really was it ever going to be a lot different in reality.
Well you'd like to think so, Saturdays game was £10 and the team played extremely well, why can they not reproduce the same form 2 days later?

Chris.

Kipper

Chris said:
Well you'd like to think so, Saturdays game was £10 and the team played extremely well, why can they not reproduce the same form 2 days later?

Chris.
I suspect that on Saturday they were playing on adrenaline and their body clocks were still on North American time. By last night my guess is that jet lag and overall tiredness would have a lot to bear on the performances. I can't believe how quickly some people can turn and whinge when the season hasn't even properly started yet and we are still three imports down.

Wannabe2

This time next month we will all be on a high, and Tuesday will just be a distant memory. When we are kicking everyones butt, and turning Steelers and the other lot upside down it will be like old times once again. Lots and lots to look forward to guys.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

ASHIPP

Finny's point about jetlag is very true and would certainly partially explain the low energy levels of our imports most of whom had not been in the UK more than 48 hours on Saturday. After a long, anti-clockwise transatlantic journey through time zones means that when you do eventually sleep, you've 'lost' hours somewhere between take-off and landing. Even a hard-nosed traveller to North America like my brother (in his previous job) never got used to it. It used to take 2-3 days to recover. Imagine what that feels like (physically and mentally) when you're trying to do your job, worse when your job is a physical sport.

ASHIPP said:
Finny's point about jetlag is very true and would certainly partially explain the low energy levels of our imports most of whom had not been in the UK more than 48 hours on Saturday. After a long, anti-clockwise transatlantic journey through time zones means that when you do eventually sleep, you've 'lost' hours somewhere between take-off and landing. Even a hard-nosed traveller to North America like my brother (in his previous job) never got used to it. It used to take 2-3 days to recover. Imagine what that feels like (physically and mentally) when you're trying to do your job, worse when your job is a physical sport.
Completely agree..and let's not forget that this was a pre-season friendly, not a cup or playoff final, not even a league game, but a pre-season friendly used for nothing other than giving the team a more competitive workout, working on systems, fitness etc etc...i really cant understand why some people are getting so heated. Chill out gang, we will be in good shape once things really get going :)

ASHIPP

Kipper said:
ASHIPP said:
Finny's point about jetlag is very true ..............
That's the only time Finny's been mistaken for me :lol: You got some curry and beer guzzling to catch up on Finny!!
:oops: :oops: :oops: Kipper - very sorry. I think it's me that's done too much beer guzzling! :oops: :oops: :oops: I have no other excuse for getting the two of you mixed up! Won't happen again.

James

Administrator
“The defeat in Coventry wasn’t the best from our viewpoint,” said bench coach Neil Francis. “There are no excuses.

“We talked it through in the locker room and said that last season we might have accepted that and talked about our lack of preparation and the fact that we are a few guys short.

“For this season, though, it wasn’t good enough. We failed to score against Coventry’s back-up netminder. We must do better than that.

“But it was a challenge game, we know what we did wrong and now we build towards the weekend knowing we will be at full strength.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice ... -24595006/

osh

voth26 said:
i wasnt at either of the game's so my opinions are based on people who were there!!,after the first game the talk was we have a good team even though we were 3 imports down,miller looked like a good signing max/smithy did ok despite landing just before game (a few hours) the season looked rosey.
Second game still same team still 3 imports down we lose guess what happens, we go back to usual devils fans talk of poor prep for the season, certain players not interested, season all over before we start.blah blah blah all the Negative comments have started
I find your post highly offensive. As you were not at the game you obviously have no idea of the frustration felt by those Devils fans who made the trip for that game. The travelling expenses, ticket prices, taking time off work, arriving back late at night etc etc and then for the team to play poorly ( as expressed by all who went ) would have been a body blow to say the least ,and you have the absolute nerve to tell them to get behind the team, stop the negative comments. I think you will find those people who travelled are top Devils supporters ( in my book anyway ) and to read yiour comments above sums up just how thoughtless you are when making such accusations of genuine Devils fans. And I have to say about your comment ' talk of poor prep for the season ' well, it couldn't have been any worse really could it ? To go into a season only having played 2 so called friendly games without a full roster is very poor prep !

Ok so Franny has admitted that they got it wrong in Coventry and has said it won't happen again. The full sqaud will be in today and will get a session together tomorrow, I think its time to move on and look forward to the Vipers games now. Pre season is over.

puck

Huskie442 said:
Ok so Franny has admitted that they got it wrong in Coventry and has said it won't happen again. The full sqaud will be in today and will get a session together tomorrow, I think its time to move on and look forward to the Vipers games now. Pre season is over.
Actually, the full team isn't compete until Saturday when Tyler Michel flies in - straight to Newcastle for a double-header -nice prep huh?

Added to the fact that the Devils cannot practice on the ice for another week after that due to Planet Ice's poor planning. You have a team who is not prepared for the regular season.

Oh and added to Stone being out for a few weeks recovering from surgery - that's the Devils shorthanded already and i isn't even knee-season yet.

Not all fine and rosy I would say!

ASHIPP

Huskie442 said:
Husks, you're right. Franny was very clear about that match - average performance, lack of preparation (although some people were saying that a few of the players did look exhausted). The Guys probably know by now that the fans who spent their money and time to watch the match in Coventry will feel angry and let down. Expect the Devils feel they let themselves down. Also, the late arrival/non-arrival of some imports and only arranging 2 'live' situations to practice moves against competitive teams is far from ideal.

BUT, it is time to move on and the positives are that they know what they need to do and will put it right. Even if they don't have ice available at the Blue Tent, they will have found somewhere to practice. The squad should be near full strength for Newcastle - hopefully some of that passion and skill to return for the weekend. :cool:

osh

ASHIPP; You are quite right, it is time to move on and be positive for the up coming season. My rant was at the insensitive post by VOTH26. He had little or no thought about the comments made by the people who actually attended the Coventry away game, telling them they were ' bellyaching etc' . They are fully entitled to express their disappointments ( just as VOTH26 is entitled to express his anger at anyone who dares to be critical of the Devils !! ) I am looking forward to the new season, full of hope and fully expecting to be in the top 3 at the end of the season.