Continental Cup

Devil94

I think a bit easier, the Kazak team would have been the strongest on paper out of the 3.

Difficult to judge but I would say Angers and Jesenice will be a very similar standard to us, with both are top sides in their respective leagues. But with us playing at home that should give us a strong advantage. As far as the Latvian side goes, I have no idea what to expect.

RedDevil17

So for those of you who know more about it, is the change a good thing or a more difficult thing for Devils? I haven’t a clue.
I’d probably say bad. Jesenice play in the AlpsHL which is the one below EBEL and is better than the Kazakhstan league I’d say (my opinion). Angers in particular look very strong especially their goaltender Cowley.

Angers have a combined experience of:

24 DEL games played
287 AHL games played
10 Liiga games played
4 Allsvenskan games played

That group which was somewhat easy has become a lot harder

Last edited:

kettdevil1

I’d probably say bad. Jesenice play in the AlpsHL which is the one below EBEL and is better than the Kazakhstan league I’d say )my opinion). Angers in particular look very strong especially their goaltender Cowley.

24 DEL games played
287 AHL games played
10 Liiga games played

I would tend to agree with you. Angers share a nickname with the French cyclist Raymonde Poulidor as they are known as the Eternal Second - their history is one of just falling short at the last hurdle, but despite that, they are a strong team in an underrated league.

As RD17 says, Cowley is a quality NM, although he has been injured recently so it remains to be seen if he recovers in time and don't discount Phillippe Halley who has been knocking in goals in France for years. On D they have Kylian Fauvel who has been touted as a great hope although at 20 he is still learning the game and they walked through their qualifying group.

I know less about Jesenice but they have a strong pedigree so should be competitive and my knowledge of Latvian hockey is miniscule so.... for me it's a three way fight with Devils slight favourites

BostonBart22

I’d probably say bad. Jesenice play in the AlpsHL which is the one below EBEL and is better than the Kazakhstan league I’d say (my opinion). Angers in particular look very strong especially their goaltender Cowley.

24 DEL games played
287 AHL games played
10 Liiga games played

So Angers will be our last game replacing the KAZ team

Devil94

The Kazak side were the runners up in last years whole competition. They won every group game, including beating eventual cup winners Krakow. Conceding 2 goals in the 3 group games, and scoring 10. They would have been with the favourites to win the whole thing.

In comparison Jesenice lost both their group games (one other forfeited), including losing 9-1 to the French side last year. Definitely an easier group with them in it over the Kazakhs.

Last edited: