Congratulations Nottingham Panthers

Slartibartfast

Thread starter #1
Absolutely amazing result against SC Bern by Nottingham tonight. This was no fluke or poor performance by the opposition. SC Bern have something like 450 NHL games played in the roster. Panthers were just awesome. They matched Bern for speed. They played hard and physical. They did not look like a British team they looked like a CHL team.
Never thought I would cheer for the Panthers but when that empty netter went in I leapt out of my seat.
Well done Panthers

solelace84

Amazing! Just watched the game on premier sports. I hate to say it, but panthers look so much better than the Devils at this stage. Looking at the way both teams are playing at the moment, I'd say the league is theirs for the taking! Congratulations Panthers on probably the biggest win in EIHL history!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

august04

Superb result for Panthers and they go top of their CHL group. Fantastic for British ice hockey, just a terrible shame that these kind of results seem out of our reach.

ASHIPP

Awesome, awesome result. Well done and congratulations to the Panthers for a fantastic performance.

No dressing this one up...one of the lowest seeded teams on a winning streak against teams seeded a lot higher. A team that had little preparation time missing 6 of their imports for the first week of training camp/preseason.

It's great to see them flying the flag for the UK. It would be wonderful for their Club and fans for the Panthers to qualify for future rounds.

Watching their home game against Mountfield this week, you could see their fitness levels and chemistry, the influence of their core of very experienced players and their coach.

On the domestic scene, Panthers are going to be lethal. This could be the start of something special this season for that team.

Good Luck in Europe, Panthers!

Have to say Nottingham have put all aspects of running a professional hockey club together this year. Having a team able to compete in the CHL is kind of a no brainer when it comes to EIHL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind words, we are totally gobsmacked. What a fantastic game of hockey and shows Europe that the EIHL can play some decent hockey. Not sure how this will impact our league season but at the moment I don't think anyone is bothered.

Thankyou so much for your kind words. I thought nothing could top winning the Continental Cup last season. But, although we didnt win anything other than one game tonight, we put British ice hockey firmly on the map. It was such a special victory. Mountfield are an average Euro team ( which is far and away above EIHL level) and to beat them was great. But Bern? Bern!!!!! I cant get my head around it. Take our energy and do yourselves proud tomorrow Cardiff. We're all rooting for you. We wont win the CHL. But, they told us no British team would win the Continental Cup. #DareToDream

Nottingham appear to be the bench mark this season. Hopefully well be seeing better teams younger fitter faster hungrier players joing our league. This is going to be a tough season.

The Devils blog already has us written off, we are simply not good enough, l cannot believe I'm saying this, if fans want to watch quality hockey, I do, I'm certainly considering a trip to Nottingham for CHL games.

I think we may be beating ourselves up about our chances based on Nottinghams success here. Let's be honest Nottingham have done exceptional in the CHL, and our results have shown us somewhat lacking at this standard, but I would be very surprised if we do not compete for a title of some description this season. Admittedly Nottingham appear to be the favourites based on these fantastic performances, and the facts they have upgraded on last season hugely on paper, but I wouldn't totally write us off domestically.

I don't think we can understate the fact that Nottingham have competed in Europe several seasons prior, whilst this is our first year with a coach who has never had any experience of coaching how to match up against such a high quality opposition. Lord is still very much learning his trade and will become a better coach for the experience, however harsh is may seem at present. Neilson is a very good coach, there's no denying that and he has already been through this process.

All this said it does sound like there is a lot to work on; particularly defensively. We won't come up against opponents as clinical and with as much fire power in the eihl but coughing up so many goals and giving up so many power plays is an area of concern. However the majority of our roster have proven track records, and let's not forget are EIHL champions. To suggest roster changes based on results thus far seems premature and I would be intrigued as to who people would suggest may not be up to standard.

pjj365

I love Euro hockey and that's what Panthers played last night and well done them

But why is everyone (not just on here) awarding all EIHL trophies to Panthers for the coming season. After all success last year in the Continental Cup did not transfer to domestic success

So, will their current style of hockey transfer to the EIHL style? In a way I hope it does as it will be a marker for the league to match them

And, as they go deeper into CHL (I hope they do for the sake of British Hockey) might their efforts take its toll on their domestic season

All in all with the season not started yet it is too early to make predictions

Wannabe2

Surely nothing that has happened in our group is a surprise, it happens to most British teams playing against such talented teams. Now if Panthers hadn't been so successful would people still be putting us down, that's not a dig at Panthers as they are re-writing history here, but are the same
people that are knocking us, expecting to win the league again after last years phenominal performance. It's one thing to win the league, and another to retain it, although I think we will. As for picking out players so early in the season is a bit silly, we will get stronger for our experience against such talented teams, and our style of play will suit us more against Panthers etc than the European game. We haven't played one domestic game yet, I suggest we rate our team and players around late Sept/Oct time.

As a Panthers fan, I'm both still gobsmacked and very very happy with how we've done so far in the CHL...

... but as some have said, that won't necessarily translate into domestic competition (although I hope it will!) - it's a different game. This season's team appears to be light-years ahead of last season's roster, so I'm pretty confident that we are going to be tough opponents at the very least. But nobody should be writing off the Devils just because you haven't had as much success as ourselves in the CHL. As far as I'm concerned, domestically you guys are the #1 team to beat. Whatever happens, I very much doubt it's going to be boring (games against the Devils are rarely dull affairs)... although I hope you'll understand if I say that I'm rather hoping that we open up a catering-size can of whoop-ass on you! ;-)

I'm certainly not going to write off the Devils season on the back of Nottingham being far better in the CHL than us, having said that I'm concerned that Nottingham may well be in a position to transition from Euro style to EIHL and be a far more successful team than us. The hope is that Nottingham continues further into the CHL, that will impact EIHL performance, I'm convinced Nottingham are not interested in EIHL as much as the Devils and good on them for that. As for our CHL experience, I'm not so sure anybody is gaining much from it, it's certainly highlights some issues, if they are addressed then l guess that's a bonus, but I'd prefer a team that's shows promise at preseason as opposed to issues.

I can't for one minute believe you would write your team of this season on the back of the CHL. You are the team that set the benchmark last season and by God you deserved it, I don't know one Panthers fan that begrudged you anything and boy were we jealous of your team from management down to team. Truly outstanding. Everyone ups their game for these special matches if you remember we were royally hammered the last time we took part. It means nothing for our league fixtures and I see all the excitement etc from our fans and rightly so but if this team don't come up trumps in the league then the Corey out brigade will be back. We're just hoping for a more balanced and productive team than last year and to watch some great hockey between us all. Good luck for tonight and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Lordo says he can only see the eihl getting better, therefore we will need to transition to a faster more clinical game and fitness is the only thing we can reasonably upgrade this season. Next season we will be fitter faster and more clinical.